AA Still Short Flight Attendants....

I think there is a good number of people burning sick time in preperation of retiring.

This year we saw the smallest jump in the yearly seniority shuffle. There has to be something more to it. It was a crap year, pay cuts, work rules and all. Then seeing a small number of people leave. We should see a bunch leaving late in the year.

Just got in from a 2 day and our #4, one of the first b-scalers at AA, said two of her best friends, who formerly flew part time, are currently on the sick list and just burning through the sick time. Once it's gone, they are out of here.

I think we will see some overage leaves recalled in the very near future. This recall could also burn through the list rather quickly as many on OL simply took it to keep the pass travel, but have no intention of ever coming back. My former classmate and roommate is in this boat. She got a great government job and went out on OL in July, but when her recall to the line comes she is resigning. She just wanted to have the pass travel bennies.

From the APFA hotline:

Today is Monday, August 11, 2003. This is George Price, APFA Communications Coordinator with an APFA Hotline Update.
The Company has notified the APFA that there will be no additional furloughs in the fall. The Company said that due to "attrition and some other factors," the Company's forecast did not suggest furloughs would be necessary during the fall timeframe. It is anticipated that some bid leaves will be available in October and November.
From the Scheduling Department: Crew schedule has notified the APFA that they are up to Step 9 in the order of open time in STL, LAX, and MIA. Flight Attendants should be familiar with these steps, which are found on in Article 9 pages 118-119 and Appendix I.9 pages 481-482 of the contract. The Company plans to increase reserve lists for the month of September.
A great deal of information regarding reduced rest, monthly maximums and rescheduling, the order of open time, obligations on available days, and monthly limitations and guarantees has been posted on the opening page of the APFA Web site and the Scheduling Page. Flight Attendants should access this helpful information and make a copy to carry with them. If you have questions, please contact the APFA Scheduling Desk.

On Monday the sick counts were over 1300 for AA fa's and almost 100 for TWA fa's. Pilot count was similar for TWA and over 600 for the AA side. Normal numbers for FA's is in the 700-800 range and for pilots is close to the 400-50 range.

As far as I know there are no TWA F/As left working at AA. They have all been furloughed, all 4000+ and are in unemployment lines. However, there could be 100 native AA F/As calling in sick at the STL domicile. Given how many TWA pilots are left, that number seems high.

----------------
On 8/12/2003 2:35:12 PM L1011Ret wrote:

As far as I know there are no TWA F/As left working at AA. They have all been furloughed, all 4000+ and are in unemployment lines. However, there could be 100 native AA F/As calling in sick at the STL domicile. Given how many TWA pilots are left, that number seems high.

----------------​

I think the poster was referring to the TWA-LLC side of our operation. WE ALL are aware that 4000 former TW flight attendants as well as 2000 plus nAAtive flight attendants are on furlough right now. The point of the this thread is that we are short flight attendants. Thats good news for anyone on furlough. The sooner we can do call backs the better.

Double the average number in sick count and with less flight attendants. Now isnt that admirable. I remember the day when you took a job seriously and with respect not like this

Maybe the poster did not know all TWA F/As were furloughed! That is an interpretation you made. And I left it open that it might be AA F/As in STL.

----------------
On 8/12/2003 12:27:27 PM AirLUVer wrote:

On Monday the sick counts were over 1300 for AA fa's and almost 100 for TWA fa's. Pilot count was similar for TWA and over 600 for the AA side. Normal numbers for FA's is in the 700-800 range and for pilots is close to the 400-50 range.

----------------​

While I don't advocate calling in sick when you're not, these numbers contain an important message for someone. That someone is AA management.

AA has practically gone out of its way to create the most hateful, intimidating culture in the industry and these numbers are the employees' way of protesting that fact.

Don't think for a minute that everything was always hunky-dory at TWA when it came to management/union relations. We have many bitter struggles in our history. But when it came down to making concessions or going belly up, there was a spirit of cooperation that simply didn't exist at AA. We received some low cost/no cost items in return for our givebacks, and there was a feeling across the board that we were all in the same boat. Even though the boat eventually sank, it wasn't for lack of trying on our part.

Think of how different it could have been at AA. Most of us realize the company really was (and is) in serious trouble and that the concessions were needed. If they had just exhibited a bit of common sense and understanding, they could have had their monetary relief and kept the respect of their employees. But no, they had to play hard@$$ to the bitter end and now the remaining employees are quietly expressing their opinions in a way that will hurt, and there's nothing the company can do about it.

It's so sad, and it didn't have to be.

MK

----------------
On 8/12/2003 5:50:47 PM L1011Ret wrote:

Maybe the poster did not know all TWA F/As were furloughed!

----------------​

Ok, But don't you think if someone knows the actual sick call numbers or maybe has even read any of the earlier posts on this thread they might be aware that no former TW flight attendants work at AA right now?

Working together? At AA? when was that?...any level of ethics and commitment certianly is not driven by management..there are many factors at play her with regards to the sick list being so high..combined they are creating a mess..no fun to manage- and no fun to work in...but its up to the mgmt to ensure there are enought warm butts in those jumpseats regardless...and so far they have their heads burried in the sand....as always.......

Might be but then again might not be. A number of non-aviation types frequently customers post on these boards. They are often unaware of the details of airleine labor issues.

Think of how different it could have been at AA. Most of us realize the company really was (and is) in serious trouble and that the concessions were needed. If they had just exhibited a bit of common sense and understanding, they could have had their monetary relief and kept the respect of their employees. But no, they had to play hard@$$ to the bitter end and now the remaining employees are quietly expressing their opinions in a way that will hurt, and there's nothing the company can do about it.

MK
----------------

And I have wondered if there has been a noticable difference in the HIDEP amounts on the routes we TWA F/A's used to fly.
9.gif