À la carte?

legacy-to-LCC

Veteran
Feb 20, 2004
well, if you listened to the state of the airline or read the earnings press release and you are pro customer, you are likely bracing for more embarrassment in the near future.

what types of services or ammenities do you think will be included in the À la carte revenue generator plan?

for the record, i think that this is the LEAST creative and innovative way to generate more revenue! but, hey, it's all management is capable of...

You might as well accept it now and instead of fighting it. Be certain things will be sold in the future, realize that anyway to generate revenue is what it's all about now. The game is changing.

With the rising cost of oil, more and more airlines are going under. I'd rather lower the freaking standards than lose our jobs. Times are changing. I wish they would just increase the freaking airfare.

I wish they would just increase the freaking airfare.

UAL did just that today. They announced $35 O/W and$70 R/T fare increases in most of their markets. The only problem is that if US, AA, DL, CO, or NW don't match the increases, they will have to rescind them. It takes big nuts to be the first to jack up the rates, but if these increases stick across the board, then the industry as a whole may be able to recoup some of the ridiculous costs of jet fuel.

But, as we all know, the panic button will be pushed by at least one major carrier as soon as future bookings lose a few percentage points, and a fire (fare) sale will bring things back in line with $59 fares just to put butts in the seat. This will erode UA's efforts to bring pricing more in line with the cost of providing the service. The jury is out. Maybe this increase will stick.

Oil prices are way out of line with supply and demand right now. If prices were in line, oil would be about $60/bbl. What we're seeing is an artificial bubble caused by speculation in the NYMEX. Banks, Wall Street investment houses, and institutional investors have taken a huge beating with the write downs in real estate and subprime loans, and they are buying oil futures contracts to offset their losses. This is driving the bid/spot price for crude to ever higher levels. The loophole that Congress needs to act on and close quickly is the delivery of the product. Right now, if you purchase a contract for a barrel of oil on the futures market, you are not required to take delivery of the product when the contract comes due. Instead, you can close out the contract and apply the funds to another oil futures contract. I guarantee you that if the banks/investment houses/institutional investors were required by Congress to take physical delivery of the product, they would exit the market in droves for lack of storage. But, alas, no one in Congress has the balls to bring a bill forward because they are all on the take from the banks, investment houses, and institutional investors.

The other reason that oil prices are out of line is the weak USD. The Fed has lowered interest rates to save the banks and investment houses from their own stupidity, and each time the interest rate goes down, the value of the dollar goes down. Oil futures are priced in USD, and when the dollar falls, it takes more USD to buy a barrel of oil. In essence, our government is letting consumers take it on the chin to save the banking industry. Bad move in my opinion because the economy will collapse before the banks are able to cover all of their losses.

It all plays into this crazy economic situation that the airline finds itself in. One can only hope that US Airways is able to find a way to make up for the higher cost of fuel before Congress wakes up and does something about it.

I have to agree, its not a time to worry about standards...its a time to step up to the plate and treat our passengers well even if we dont have the tools needed. A good crew can make or break it ...the customers will always remember how fun the crew is. And I would rather be standing in the TSA line to get to my gate then have to be standing in line to sign up for unemployment!

Yes everyone, let's lower ourselves to Cactus's pathetic standards.

Pathetic or not, it's the reality of what is to come. Take the hint and try to accept some of this change for once. You can fight it just as much as you have fought all of the other cost saving measures LCC put into place, from closets and reconfigurations to plastic, all difficult change, but if they weren't made and made early on, we'd be panicked right now. It woudl be nice if you just showed one small ounce of gratitude for a change.

Diedre Chambers, what a coincidence!

UWCactus and Jetsetter2ord share the SAME opinion! I wonder if they share the same taste in smocks!

Interesting!

Gratitude? I don't need the s*it job, it's entertainment, boo-hoo if you do cactus. Make or break that!

I have to agree, its not a time to worry about standards...its a time to step up to the plate and treat our passengers well even if we dont have the tools needed. A good crew can make or break it ...the customers will always remember how fun the crew is. And I would rather be standing in the TSA line to get to my gate then have to be standing in line to sign up for unemployment!

Some think we need all new everything and the latest tech to make the customer happy, but smiles and a positive personalities win over the day easily. Do some long flights on SWA, and they have nothing but themselves, no movies, blankets, pillows etc but the people think they got treated well. We have a bunch of great FA's here also but its hit and miss way to often.

Oil prices are way out of line with supply and demand right now. If prices were in line, oil would be about $60/bbl. What we're seeing is an artificial bubble . . .

Spindoc, this oil situation is not an "artificial bubble". Higher oil prices are here to stay. What's going on in the USA and around the world is a consequence of global demand/competition for energy resources ( the sub-prime and other banking issues are coincidental to the energy paradigm ). It's simple economics with markets behaving just like the book suggests when rising demand and rising consumption jack prices up. This is not a temporary spike in prices like in the 70s or 80s, nor is it market manipulation by banks, speculators or evil Exxon. This "we are the world" game means that China and India and all sorts of nations/regions are now big players and their growth is ratcheting demand and prices. America has been living inside of its own bubble for a very long time now regarding energy prices. Where prices might settle out at is indeed a good question, but I'm not so sure if $60bbl is ever gonna happen again.

Airlines are getting whacked real hard here as energy costs hit the ceiling and the subprime deal spanks the economy.

Some think we need all new everything and the latest tech to make the customer happy, but smiles and a positive personalities win over the day easily. Do some long flights on SWA, and they have nothing but themselves, no movies, blankets, pillows etc but the people think they got treated well. We have a bunch of great FA's here also but its hit and miss way to often.

I'm not surprised that US or any other carrier takes some drastic steps to limit even the smallest costs. They are all in a dire situation at the moment. And indeed, this is an industry wide situation and the character of service may indeed be changing. So a fuel surcharge or sliding fares upwards along with some other measures, I can understand. But what you offer inside of the cabin matters, especially if you are flying the "full service" flag - - - but wait! US says it's an LCC . . . no it's not, they say they're just like the "big boys". So you see, here we go again with another mixed message on the pax side from Tempe and the airline which never figures out what it wants to be.

Hey, if Tempe had not so arrogantly jerked pax around so many times in the past, I would not even be posting this message as I really do understand that things are bad at the moment. But there's a huge difference between economizing and "nickel dicking" the customer. The web site, the ads, the DM program . . . they all hype the exciting product called US. You guys can smile all you want during a flight. But if I'm already paying a fuel surcharge and higher fares, then I've done my part. I'll bring my own snack with me, but start nickel dicking me on a soda or other basic things, well . . . maybe it is time for US to get out of the game and let the real players finish the job.

Sorry to sound rather negative, but that's how it feels from the pax seat when dealing with US.

Barry

Thanks jerseyfinn for the sobering response to "spindoc".
I feel you, it is time for LCC to get with it.
It seems to me it is either give them transportation for nothing, or give them nothing for transportation.
They need to define themselves.

Latest posts