Customer Service Improvement Work Group

MDMUS1

Aug 28, 2002
Does US have anything like this now in place? I'm referring to some variation of a cross-functional working group/team that is trying to brainstorm and offer suggestions for service improvement. It would consist of folks from various Depts and from various levels internally, and would include a mix of customers.

I think that US formerly had some type of customer advisory board but does it still exist?

Many large businesses have created teams like this to look outside the box and come up with creative and innovative ways to improve things - for both employees and customers. Suggestions often carry nominal cost or a cost which is offset by additional revenue or through savings.

The time when a team like this is most important is when things are difficult and people are stretched thin - in a time like that (now) it is hard for people to break away from the daily job of fighting all of the little fires in order to think more strategically.

Is there something like this out there now??? I know that there would be customers willing to serve on such a team, do you think that there would be interest from employees? Before you answer - you have to either be convinced(or pretend) that you believe that such an effort would be worthwhile and that senior management would support it.

I see so many different posts that offer little ways to make things better - but I fear that no one is trying(or has the time) to pull those ideas together and make some of them happen.

MDMUS1 -

I really do like that idea, especially the part about getting the customer involved. We do still have a customer advisory board, but since 9/11 the focus has been taken off the "Customer Committment" issues and placed more on keeping this bird in the air.

There is one thing that I do give Mr. Gangwal credit for, and that was his creation of teams and task forces to address customer issues and airline and industry problems. I myself served on several task forces and found that they really did bring in many different prospectives on solving a problem. Since 9/11 and ultimately his departure, I have not heard anything about any task forces or teams being made up to address any issues with in the company.

I would love to sit on a team or task force comprised of employees, customers, management and board members to address some of the fundamental issues surrounding customer service and the operation of the airline.

We did have the Cust Svce roundtable up until the CWA was voted in back in 1997.
But the company took a sour grapes attitude saying "you have a union now, so we can't have a roundtable anymore". Union representation does NOT forbid employee-
management discussuion groups. It sems that mgmnt chose to waste time and
money with PPF and Deceptions of Excellence insted of discussing serious issues. If
this kind of effort was put into improving our service, we would NOT be in the mess
we're in now. Are you listening Dave????? :angry:

Great idea—at another company, however.
For those who’ve been around long enough, recall the many “feel goodâ€￾ seminars in our past: the quality circles, Putting People first, etc. These get-togethers only confirmed a simple truth - Those holding this title or that at US Airways rarely consider our constructive ideas. Sure there was a contest to name the company’s intranet, but as for issues of policy, procedures or operational decisions, they feel we have nothing to offer and they know what they’re doing. Sure, they may listen or thank you for contacting them, but it’s out of the question to consider ideas from the lower classes.
Such groups in the past have mimicked the real thing such as in Japan where Q circles started. Nobody was truly empowered or able to influence the running of the company.

Latest posts