Affinity Credit Card Announcements

This stupid announcement woke me up in the middle of CDG-PHL last Sunday and I wasn't the only one. This is really wrong. I paid for the seat and I shouldn't be bombarded with ads for anything.

This stupid announcement woke me up in the middle of CDG-PHL last Sunday and I wasn't the only one. This is really wrong. I paid for the seat and I shouldn't be bombarded with ads for anything.
Well it is really not an ad, as much as it is a service we offer to our Customers. It is a product just like the Bye on Board meals...and we make an annoucement about those. I think the timing of their announcement was off, since it woke a lot of people up! If done properly the announcement should take about 20 seconds at the most. It should also be done at the appropriate time! Then the FA's should do a quick walk through with the applications.

This actually is the same debate that is ongoing in Movie houses nationwide. The theaters have a captive audience as do the airlines. Many feel and righfully so IMO that since they paid for the seat that they shouldn't have to be subjected to commercials.

However that hasn't stopped the proliferation of product pimping to captive audiences. Several on here have pointed out that it's often a timing & taste thing. Low key and tasteful can get the job done.

There needs to be a balance and I don't mind it to much knowing that the F/A's earn a little extra.
They do for me! Low key and tasteful that is.

The announcment takes 30 seconds and and then it takes 3 minutes to walk through the cabin. If anyone is that annoyed by it all they obviously have anger issues. I have never heard anyone say anything about it. After the level off announcement is the best time to do it. That way it is out of the way and you dont have to wake anyone up at the end of the flight. Morning flights are not good flights either. It is to early in the morning and most are asleep before we hit 10,000 ft. Just my 2 cents.

Seat back trays and the credit card announcements are done in good taste. I just received my US Airways credit card two weeks ago.

Article
Looks like someone went national..... :p Thanks for the promo either intentional or not.
Interesting quote a couple paragraphs into the story.

it is advertising and it really annoys me. Put ads in the inflight magazine so I can ignore them.

The announcment takes 30 seconds and and then it takes 3 minutes to walk through the cabin. If anyone is that annoyed by it all they obviously have anger issues.

sky high states: Anger issues?....Yeah, let me see they (passengers) have to LISTEN to the boarding announcement, several times. The Emergency equipment announcement, the level off announcement, the seat belt announcement, on, off. And, the pilot announcement, we're flying over Kansas....blah, blah. And the F/A, who loves his/her own voice. :down: :down: and now, the hawking of credit cards, announcement.

only stating an opinion.

sky high states: Yeah, let me see they (passengers) have to LISTEN to the boarding announcement, several times.

sky high states: And, furthermore, some Flight Attendants SHOULD NEVER BE ON THAT PA SYSTEM. They need a course in Ebonics or voice lessons.

only stating an opinion

The announcment takes 30 seconds and and then it takes 3 minutes to walk through the cabin. If anyone is that annoyed by it all they obviously have anger issues. I have never heard anyone say anything about it. After the level off announcement is the best time to do it. That way it is out of the way and you dont have to wake anyone up at the end of the flight. Morning flights are not good flights either. It is to early in the morning and most are asleep before we hit 10,000 ft. Just my 2 cents.

Ahem. I was annoyed by being awakened several hours into a LONG flight. I though that it was unreasonable and an intrusion and you seem to as well...so why the snide remark about anger issues?

Ahem. I was annoyed by being awakened several hours into a LONG flight. I though that it was unreasonable and an intrusion and you seem to as well...so why the snide remark about anger issues?
One word: MOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :up: :up: Relax, it's an announcement for 30 seconds...... at least you have your health...put it all in perspective... :rolleyes:

Relax, it's an announcement for 30 seconds......

If it were only that...... they are about as annoying as the guy hawking them in the LAS rotunda.... :ph34r:
If the F/A would keep it short and sweet it would be great, but I've had a couple that go on endlessly, walk to to back (I guess didnt get enough takers) and do it again. :down:
While I know why its being done, they just need to keep it simple and short. Almost as annoying as some agents GoFirst announcements. You made the announcement, no one bit, you're not getting your $5 move on. :shock:

This program has totally Gotten out of Hand.....wish they would KILL IT! I have seen f/a's hand an applic to EVERY pax upon boarding, set up tables in shopping malls and the latest was having the applications placed in EVERY mailbox in residential areas (and this is a punishable offense by tampering w/ the USPS). It is all about greed.....have seen and heard MANY F/A's blatantly LIE about the perks. And I absolutely LOVE when they "jockey" for position over WHO gets to make the announcements, who gets to Hawk the forms and how they "stacked". And you just have to laugh at the fools that ramble on w/the announcements on flights when a beverage Isn't available. :down:
Are you for real??? I barely have enough time to check my own mailbox much less "stuff" someone else's. What kind of loser does this stuff? I don't think I've ever made the B of A announcement, I have however seen other F/A's fight over who is going to hand out the flyer. If I am that desperate for money I can just start charging for blind dates again.

Back