Aircraft maint issues

In my opinion, which has not changed in the last 30 years or so, an Industrial Union is there to represent the membership. The fact remains that the Fleet members outnumber the mechanics and the company is highering Fleet Service in large numbers. Fleet Service in most instances controls negotiations. In the past Tulsa and Fleet Service which has held the majority. I believe that the non-maintenance membership at Tulsa could be in jeopardy, however, these members in many cases have more seniority and can bid to the hangars.

Not everybody has to make an "or" decision WeAAsles. Those people should not lower their standard of living to keep someone else on payroll.

How well has that tactic worked for the employees of American Airlines over the last 30 years?
Exactly sir. 100% correct. Just as I said he wants to give up pay or bennies for jobs. Just like the TWU and IAM has done in the past. And you are correct, how has that worked out for the past 30 plus years at AA???

In my opinion, which has not changed in the last 30 years or so, an Industrial Union is there to represent the membership. The fact remains that the Fleet members outnumber the mechanics and the company is highering Fleet Service in large numbers. Fleet Service in most instances controls negotiations. In the past Tulsa and Fleet Service which has held the majority. I believe that the non-maintenance membership at Tulsa could be in jeopardy, however, these members in many cases have more seniority and can bid to the hangars.

All the more reasons to get rid of the industrial union. Maybe not the right time now but sometime in the future would be nice.

They will probably do what we did, get a contract, then get rid of them.

IAM organized US Mechanics over 70 years ago.
TWU organized AA Mechanics over 70 years ago.

Both around or just after World War II.

Likelihood? Honestly. Reality.

IAM organized US Mechanics over 70 years ago.
TWU organized AA Mechanics over 70 years ago.

Both around or just after World War II.

Likelihood? Honestly. Reality.

Back then Aircraft Mechanics far out numbered baggage handlers. That was because Aircraft Mechanics did everything other than load and unload luggage. There was even a point; IIRC, in the 1950s where the pilots union proposed having the Aircraft Mechanics join them. For whatever reason, the A/C Mechs decided to remain in the TWU. Pretty much every decision the TWU has made for Aircraft Mechanics has been wrong for the Aircraft Mechanics. Some things never change.

There was even a point; IIRC, in the 1950s where the pilots union proposed having the Aircraft Mechanics join them.

I believe that is true, I thought it was later than the 50's though. What a great decision not to join with the pilots union.

Back then Aircraft Mechanics far out numbered baggage handlers. That was because Aircraft Mechanics did everything other than load and unload luggage. There was even a point; IIRC, in the 1950s where the pilots union proposed having the Aircraft Mechanics join them. For whatever reason, the A/C Mechs decided to remain in the TWU. Pretty much every decision the TWU has made for Aircraft Mechanics has been wrong for the Aircraft Mechanics. Some things never change.

Well don’t forget, way back when AA had its HQ in NYC and TWU always had a very strong reputation there. And I “think” the TWU only became weak as you say for Aircraft Mechanics after Deregulation.

I also doubt back in the 40’s and 50’s it was difficult for a man to become an Aircraft Mechanic? As a matter of fact it was probably an expectation.

Come in as a young kid, or your kid and the guys put him to work learning the craft.

(Quite a bit more complicated than that today)

If you guys,were smart do what we did, get your joint bargaining contract done, unless it takes forever, get a new contract, and then shop for a new union. The best thing I ever did lately was actually caring again, and getting reconciled with my union AMFA . I don't like everything, but I think we actually have a trump card to play, to finally get the company to move like our pilots did.

Well don’t forget, way back when AA had its HQ in NYC and TWU always had a very strong reputation there. And I “think” the TWU only became weak as you say for Aircraft Mechanics after Deregulation.

I also doubt back in the 40’s and 50’s it was difficult for a man to become an Aircraft Mechanic? As a matter of fact it was probably an expectation.

Come in as a young kid, or your kid and the guys put him to work learning the craft.

(Quite a bit more complicated than that today)

Nice guess. Back then most Aircraft Mechanics were prior military. Civilian Aircraft Mechanics were harder to come by as Schools like Embry Riddle, Spartan, and Northrop didn't really start training Aircraft Mechanics till well after WWII. More complicated? Yeah, don't know who you're quoting, but it's way more complicated now. The paperwork alone. Add to that,the systems complexity, and the old planes are like looking at caveman technology. Now this isn't to say guys back then didn't have valuable skills in wood dope and fabric, radial engines, and sheet metal work.

You guys?

LUS not LAA

And AA didn’t file chapter 11 15 years ago yet LAA and LUS mechanics make more than you and have way better scope and have way than 2 and change mechanics per airplane.

Two years of JCBA negotiations and only four articles left to go.