Airline rankings

I tuess that doesn't square with me. Why does a dispute between mgmt/labor necessarily drive labor to treat customers poorly? Why can't that dispute just stay between mgmt and labor? Why is there not a professionalism amongst the labor groups that would allow them to compartmentalize their job duties from the other items? I truly do not understand the mindset of an individual that would treat a customer poorly because they are upset with their boss.
Simply put...
Shet travels down hill, management shets on its employees, employees shet on the customer. Its human nature finny...
Stop acting as a calculator/machine and place the human factor in the situation!!!!!
If these people are truly professionals, labor/managament disputes shouldn't lead to poor customer service, should it?
I don't know how long you have been w/ NWA finman, but when the NW management starts acting like professionals then maybe the rest of the company will. YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE!!!!!!

I tuess that doesn't square with me. Why does a dispute between mgmt/labor necessarily drive labor to treat customers poorly? Why can't that dispute just stay between mgmt and labor? Why is there not a professionalism amongst the labor groups that would allow them to compartmentalize their job duties from the other items? I truly do not understand the mindset of an individual that would treat a customer poorly because they are upset with their boss.

Why is it that management not just at NWA but most companies in this industry, fail to recognize the direct connection between performance and morale?

In NWA case why should an employee who has been lied to repeatedly by the management, truly care about operations when their dedication has been rewarded with paycuts and deceit?

I guess they didn't teach you about internal customers at your school. Or never took A management course OR a human resource course. It is all basic- on top of that common sense.

Unlike a machine, rogue management can't constantly threaten and intimidate frontline employees and expect them to have their mind on smiling and being nice to customers. They are not robots unfortunately for you finny. When management desimates employees' pay, benefits, and retirement, the result is pissed off and uncaring employees. Then add on the fact that management retains all of their outrageous bonuses, millions in pay, an untouchable retirement accounts....bankruptcy or not. The boiling point is soon attained.

Finman, you might want to take some human resource courses and put down your calculator for a while. ;)

Perhaps you along with the rest of the Airline management types should invite this Man to your "Atta boy" meetings as a guest speaker.

“If the employees come first, then they're happy, ... A motivated employee treats the customer well. The customer is happy so they keep coming back, which pleases the shareholders. It's not one of the enduring Green mysteries of all time, it is just the way it works.â€￾
~Herb Kelleher

I guess they didn't teach you about internal customers at your school. Or never took A management course OR a human resource course. It is all basic- on top of that common sense.

Oh stop it now Jenny...Common sense is not in the management handbook. Just like you can't clean up a PIG and expect it to stay clean, you can't put a MANAGER in a decision making capacity that requires common sense and expect him to make the right decision.

Unlike a machine, rogue management can't constantly threaten and intimidate frontline employees and expect them to have their mind on smiling and being nice to customers. They are not robots unfortunately for you finny. When management desimates employees' pay, benefits, and retirement, the result is pissed off and uncaring employees. Then add on the fact that management retains all of their outrageous bonuses, millions in pay, an untouchable retirement accounts....bankruptcy or not. The boiling point is soon attained.

Finman, you might want to take some human resource courses and put down your calculator for a while. ;)

I agree with you Hackman but in the case of the mechanic we MUST do the RIGHT THING. Regardless of how we are treated by management we MUST provide safe transportation. It goes beyond our job title to the core of what we as mechanics believe. We put the safety of the aircraft first. We use the resources we have to get the job done and don't cut corners. Management CAN NOT force you to something contrary to what is right.

On your note to FINMAN...just some "human" classes will do.

I agree with you Hackman but in the case of the mechanic we MUST do the RIGHT THING. Regardless of how we are treated by management we MUST provide safe transportation. It goes beyond our job title to the core of what we as mechanics believe. We put the safety of the aircraft first. We use the resources we have to get the job done and don't cut corners. Management CAN NOT force you to something contrary to what is right.

On your note to FINMAN...just some "human" classes will do.
Damn straight Don. I would never let my disdain for rogue management lead me to do something knowingly dangerous or unsafe. I have felt the uncaring management pressure to "just sign it off" or "when are you going to be done". I will never waver, and haven't in over 20 years. NEVER.

All I meant was I won't do any management favors, go the extra mile, or care if an aircraft is late. Liars and cheats shouldn't expect to continue on the path of failure and blame it all on the same old lame excuse....labor costs. As the old saying goes..."You can pay me now, or pay me later" :D :huh:

Why is it that management not just at NWA but most companies in this industry, fail to recognize the direct connection between performance and morale?

In NWA case why should an employee who has been lied to repeatedly by the management, truly care about operations when their dedication has been rewarded with paycuts and deceit?
At the risk of kicking a dead horse, I believe the key word here is "Management", instead of "leadership". A true leader will inspire his troops to rise above and beyond the call of duty, regardless of the difficulties. He does this by LEADING BY EXAMPLE! Here at NWA, I would say about 15-20 percent are of this nature, 30-40 percent are decent enough guys trying to do a tough job under crappy circumstances, and the remaining few aint worth a bucket of warm spit. To be fair, this seems to be about the industry average. I admit to be biased, but I also have noticed that the higher precentage of vets you have at all levels the better. I'm sure most of you vets out there would agree.

At the risk of kicking a dead horse, I believe the key word here is "Management", instead of "leadership". A true leader will inspire his troops to rise above and beyond the call of duty, regardless of the difficulties. He does this by LEADING BY EXAMPLE! Here at NWA, I would say about 15-20 percent are of this nature, 30-40 percent are decent enough guys trying to do a tough job under crappy circumstances, and the remaining few aint worth a bucket of warm spit. To be fair, this seems to be about the industry average. I admit to be biased, but I also have noticed that the higher precentage of vets you have at all levels the better. I'm sure most of you vets out there would agree.

As a vet' yes I would agree. Management vs Leadership.

It is indeed a sad statement to the entire industry that with so many splendid examples of how "not to do it", almost all continue "to do it" the exact same way.

Damn straight Don. I would never let my disdain for rogue management lead me to do something knowingly dangerous or unsafe. I have felt the uncaring management pressure to "just sign it off" or "when are you going to be done". I will never waver, and haven't in over 20 years. NEVER.

All I meant was I won't do any management favors, go the extra mile, or care if an aircraft is late. Liars and cheats shouldn't expect to continue on the path of failure and blame it all on the same old lame excuse....labor costs. As the old saying goes..."You can pay me now, or pay me later" :D :huh:

Of course you're right. And now they can't blame it on mechanic labor costs. They have imposed the pay they were after and have got the numbers down to the level they wanted...but then theres that nasty problem with the wheels falling off! :lol:

Of course you're right. And now they can't blame it on mechanic labor costs. They have imposed the pay they were after and have got the numbers down to the level they wanted...but then theres that nasty problem with the wheels falling off! :lol:
Yea so much for quality and safety, but hey at least the shareholders are pleased.

With the exception of Vets that would spit on their fellow Marines on the picket line

TOUCHE.... :up: