Airport Customer Service Senority

1SkiptomyLous

Sep 10, 2008
In Las Vegas where the 214 customer service layoff occured they didn't go by senority it went by full time part time. Part timers that got hired in November 2004 had to be laid off so a June 2007 full timer could stay. All lovely union the teamsters and the cwa think this is fair. It is ricidious. We have to pay union dues to be treated this way. If more layoffs occur they could wipe out part timers that have been employed since 1983 to keep a 2007 full timer. Any thoughts on this?

It has to do with where the positions being eliminated are. Since the overall majority of eliminated positions were P/T then the P/T agents were the ones affected the most . Unfortunately seniority across full time and part time is irrelevant. If 100 p/t lines were being eliminated and 20 f/t then 100 p/t agts and 20 f/t agents would be affected. The old company policy was also more geared toward ft agents over p/t as f/t was a "career" where p/t was not. That however has changed under the present regime. The furlough policy differentiates between F/T and P/T.

From what I am hearing LAS Customer Service was about 85 % part-time. Remember, the 2007 full time employee can either opt to furlough, receive severance and at least 26 weeks of unemployment or bump the junior part-time agent left after the part-timers were furloughed.

I am assuming the 2007 employee who was Full time exercised part-time bumping rights as per your CBA. During 2 BK's and plenty of layoffs, most full timers did bump into part-time positions. Most PT agents took the furlough, were called back and forth several times through several packages and made off like bandits. The Customer Service agents that are furloughed also have the option of system wide bumping the most junior agent out in the system.

What is going on in RNO. I hear they are hitting them hard. The RNO RES agents were told they were losing their premium pay, without notice and the RNO Airport agents are hearing rumors that they will be closing. Any truth to this????

DEX :down:

The furlough policy differentiates between F/T and P/T.
There are 3 classifications Fulltime, FulltimeCSS. Partime all can be reduce individually at managements sole jurisdiction
And less not forget under the old regime (and some still exist) management would layoff fulltime agents and kept fulltime CSS
Stations would have very junior CSS that management would keep and layoff non CSS senior full timers
Management would get CSS loyalty knowing that they got to kept fulltime at the non CSS expense

I believe they also furloughed CSS in LAS. Different company now then before. I ould rather be furloughed than to have to take a CSS position anyway. That is blood money. Heard the company is taking the .57 premiums away anyway. RNO RES just got hit today.

CSS's only get furloughed if there is a reduction in the CSS headcount and in such a case they are displaced/furloughed based on their agt seniority. This not done to save anyone , but CSS are seen as low level mgmt and a senior person could have had the position if they wanted it ,and to keep a level of stability in the ranks of lower mgmt, like it or not The CBA is pretty straight forward about it . I have been through 5 furlough/displacement actions in my time here , I have been displaced to split shifts, part time and sent to 2 different cities. The last displacement I was a CSS and displaced by my agent seniority. It sucks but life goes on.

John John, who is the same Vice President of Customer Service. I thought it was Muele and he is gone.

and to keep a level of stability in the ranks of lower mgmt, like it or not
Yep had a lot of agents that thought they were management because management kept them fulltime at some stations you had more CSS then regular full timers basically all your full timers were CSS and your part-timers were layoff full timers

All lovely union the teamsters and the cwa think this is fair. It is ricidious. We have to pay union dues to be treated this way. If more layoffs occur they could wipe out part timers that have been employed since 1983 to keep a 2007 full timer. Any thoughts on this?

The company decides which work groups (FT or PT) get furloughed.

It may be 'ricidious'. You could blame the union for the contract, but the company provides the end result.

CSS's only get furloughed if there is a reduction in the CSS headcount and in such a case they are displaced/furloughed based on their agt seniority. This not done to save anyone , but CSS are seen as low level mgmt and a senior person could have had the position if they wanted it ,and to keep a level of stability in the ranks of lower mgmt, like it or not The CBA is pretty straight forward about it . I have been through 5 furlough/displacement actions in my time here , I have been displaced to split shifts, part time and sent to 2 different cities. The last displacement I was a CSS and displaced by my agent seniority. It sucks but life goes on.
and this is crap....CSS's only get furloughed if there is a reduction in the CSS headcount and in such a case they are displaced/furloughed based on their agt seniority

The cuts are made based on headcount in CTY..CSS are part of the headcount no?? This needs to be looked at and an LOA needs to come out....based on the way former west CSS were given the CSS position not based on credentials/panel interview...but based on a one time deal the CWA and Company came out with...none of the paying dues members knew about it till after the fact...bogus......right now a CTY could have 8 CSS and 35 CSA....??? Why are they protected? Its not right.

Fortunately or unfortunately the CSS head count is not part of the agent headcount. In a small city there may be only 3 CSS's . If there is a fulltime agent headcount reduction , the CSS 's are not included so as to maintain the CSS staffing at 3. CSS's are a seperate job function. I was displaced when I was an agent and a CSS 5 years junior to me remained in place. I obviously didn't like it , but that is the way it is done. The safest place to be may be in a small city as a CSS , providing that city maintains good numbers and is not expressed out , in which case all bets are off and everyone CSS's included are displaced by seniority.

Latest posts