Airport Customer Service Senority

Fortunately or unfortunately the CSS head count is not part of the agent headcount. In a small city there may be only 3 CSS's . If there is a fulltime agent headcount reduction , the CSS 's are not included so as to maintain the CSS staffing at 3. CSS's are a seperate job function. I was displaced when I was an agent and a CSS 5 years junior to me remained in place. I obviously didn't like it , but that is the way it is done. The safest place to be may be in a small city as a CSS , providing that city maintains good numbers and is not expressed out , in which case all bets are off and everyone CSS's included are displaced by seniority.
and this is wrong.....i think it needs to be brought up to someone in the company---8 css for 30 employees...??? just an example but it is happening....

It is just one of the perks of "stepping up" to be a CSS. It's not worth it otherwise. Like I said CSS is viewed as a different job function (classification). If a senior agent wanted to be a CSS and gain that extra protection they have had the opportunity. Right now there is a systemwide shortage of CSS's as no one wants the job for 50 cents more per hour. In DCA we are 15 short. and are temp upgrading agts with a year to cover open lines. Talk about the blind leading the blind . It's funny how the contract is just fine until it impacts you personally , like when a junior CSS stays and you go. The company still views CSS as convenient pseudo management and in order to maintain station stability will continue to do it this way. You simply don't want major turnover in your management even pseudo management ranks. so you offer a liitle protection by separating them out from the rest.

I actually think it is legit for p/t to go before f/t. I am wondering if p/t'ers are given the OPTION to bid on f/t positions before hiring from without.

It's a sad fact(and I was once with the Teamsters, and yes, they are what they are), but f/t in a regular union-shop(might not apply to you), has precedence over p/t. P/t works less hours pays less dues, and may not have ALL benefits that f/t'ers have.

My advice(as was told to me by my once shop stupid) is read the contract. Don't listen to speculation and if you know where to look, your contract will outline whether it's approved under your contractual agreement.

Other than that, like I've said before...Nothing in life is fair!

It is just one of the perks of "stepping up" to be a CSS. If a senior agent wanted to be a CSS and gain that extra protection they have had the opportunity. The company still views CSS as convenient pseudo management and in order to maintain station stability will continue to do it this way. you offer a liitle protection by separating them out from the rest.
You are right, a senior agent should have the right to become a CSS and exercises there seniority and doing so. Seniority is one of the only things an agent has left. The premise of management giving a select agent group perks is oppress and flawed

The senior agent has had the ability to become a CSS any time , but not after the fact. Those who chose to become a CSS should not be penalized for what someone else didn't do either. This is the way it was even before the union came along and there is very little reason to change it. Like I said before , the cba was just fine until it impacts you. There is very little incentive for the company to change things. Why bump out an existing CSS who knows the job in favor some else who doesn't ,who isn't in the same job function (classification) just because of seniority. By keeping CSS's in place particularly in small stations the company maintains a level of operational management stability rather than creating upheaval. If someone really wants to be a CSS , believe me there are plenty of open positions around the system.

The senior agent has had the ability to become part-time any time, but not after the fact. Those who chose to be part-time should not be penalized for what someone else didn't do either. Why bump out an existing parttimer who knows the job in favor some else who doesn't ,who isn't in the same job function (classification) just because of seniority. By keeping a part-timer in place
Sound familiar
The agent group is that. One group NO one group is better then the other SENIORITY SHOULD PREVAIL. Not management being allowed to give preferable treatment to a select person.
Should a displace senior CSS be able to bump a junior part-timer or a junior full timer
Your way of thinking NO….

You are right John John. Senior CSS should be able to bump down to FT CSA or PT CSA but that is not the written rule. Maybe putting the company in the position to divide evenly.

Hey guys, read the contract. It is clear on the process of "reduction in force". The union and company negotiated it. There is a lot in there that I don't think is fair but it is what it is and we will live with it until it is changed. The company and union both view the CSS as a higher position, hence the $.57 an hour additional and separated bids. The union even agreed to a modified selection process for the positions.

If you don't like it, talk to your union rep or perhaps become one yourself. Union apathy seems to be more of a problem.

Just a wish list.

Could a merger be looming? Yes, I believe one is right around the corner. Company has been weirding out. OEI for Fleet and Maintenance just around the corner. That is all that is needed.
Downsizing will next. Hours in all station bids for part-time are cut. They are ready to make a move. It will happen this quarter, so get to your CBA's and study your furlough and bumping rights now. The clock is ticking.

You are right John John. Senior CSS should be able to bump down to FT CSA or PT CSA but that is not the written rule. Maybe putting the company in the position to divide evenly.
dexter it is the "written rule" the CWA contract allows CSS to replace the most junior full-time or part-time agent in seniority order.CSS can exercise there seniority and bump a junior fulltime but a senior fulltime cannot exercise there seniority and bump a CSS Management protects them for there loyaltyAs everybody says it’s a perk management gives for loyalty to them

The company and union both view the CSS as a higher position, hence the $.57 an hour additional and separated bids.
The $.57 is a premium just like shift premium, customer contact premium, if fall into it you get it

John John, you stand correct on all of your answers. The big problem during BK was junior CSS's remaining. There are plenty of available CSS lines on the East so if the past practice stands correct the junior agents better scramble and fill these open unwanted lines. We have been watching alot of movement from the sandcastle to the east. It is either a merger or a takeover with UA and it is coming brothers and sisters.

Does anyone know the exact dates for MTC and FLEET OEI? That will be the projected date for this to occur.

Anyone out there that can fill us in on OEI please do so on this thread.

John John, you stand correct on all of your answers. The big problem during BK was junior CSS's remaining. There are plenty of available CSS lines on the East so if the past practice stands correct the junior agents better scramble and fill these open unwanted lines. We have been watching alot of movement from the sandcastle to the east. It is either a merger or a takeover with UA and it is coming brothers and sisters.

Does anyone know the exact dates for MTC and FLEET OEI? That will be the projected date for this to occur.

Anyone out there that can fill us in on OEI please do so on this thread.
OEI slated for 9/29.....what can u tell us?

Latest posts