AMT recalls

787nightmare

Veteran
Aug 28, 2010
I took a job as PC Scheduler back in'08 at TULE, with the hope of getting back to my toolbox in a "relatively" short period, but I found out pretty quick, it wasn't going to happen for some years. I left and went to work for Boeing on the 787 program. I deeply miss the airline industry and would return to AA if given the opportunity.
Can you guys tell me if the recall list has been exhausted yet? Then and only then, will AA have to go to the street for AMTs.
Which is what I'm waitin for... :blink:
Thanks.

My understanding is :
AMT recall list is far from being exhausted.
Rumor mill has it possibly 200-250 recalls starting september.
Some may be filled with laterals from MCI after Sept. base closure.
Many 9/11 affected AMT's hold OSM/Parts Washer/ and AC Cleaner positions right now.
They are accumilating title 1 time while AMT's on the street are losing day for day and some have now been passed up in senority.
Good luck

MIA recall list has been exhausted
NYC recall list has been exhausted
Many stations are working understaffed waiting for Detroit, San Fran, Kansas City, Reduction in Force.
Those guys will displace the system and backfill open slots. This should all be done by November if people dont relocated to fill open slots they will go to the transfer list.
Dont bother coming back this place is not the same place it was when you left, move on ...
;)

Go back to AA? Why would anyone even consider it. Is your current job that bad?

Must you, the guy has been oustide AA and see's another world, if you would like, make an opening for him, have you been working outside AA in the recent past??

PS I'm very Union and no AA lover.

First thanks for the replys.
While in TULE,(albeit in a salaried position), I got a good look at the situation at the TUL base(also through mngmts eyes).
As out of control as TULE was(and it's ridiculous the unaccountability), Boeing is even worse. Particularly the 787 program.
Like I've said many times to others, had I not been here to see it/experience it for myself, I never would've believed a company that's been building aircraft for as long as Boeing has, could get something so miserably wrong. It is far worse than most on the outside realize.
I don't want to "camp out" on this...but I was forewarned by an AA mech in Tulsa that worked the flightline for BCA back in the late 80s.
He told me he "would never work for that company again"..."you think you're number here at AA, it's far worse there"..."and the work has zero job gratification/ownership/accomplishment". Boys, let me just tell you...it flat ass sucks big time.
Every ex-airline mech I've met(and there are many)...every one of them HATE this place.

Now...back to AA. So, there are many still in OSM positions. Can't imagine an AMT doing a cleaners position, but hey,whatever.
I'm wondering how many of those guys that were displaced back in '03 are actually going to return?? Then again, the job markets been tough for a while out there. I'm thinking many have moved on.

There's also another twist in my situation. I've been commuting for 2 1/2 yrs almost. I knew I wasn't moving up here at the 5-6 mo mark. I've got a house and wife outside of TUL. This is about to get the best of both of us. I thought I had a position at Spirit to get me back home. I woulda lost money on that bet...but they elected not to hire me(no idea-got by all tests-think the lone interviewer copped an attitude with my "look" when he told me 24/hr was good money in TUL. Well...outside of the comml aviation ind, true. But not for a global supplier like Spirit making a fortune off BCA, Abus and Gulfstream wings,etc-even in TUL, 24/hr won't get you too far). So...anyway, I was trying to see where AA was in the recall. I thought surely by now, the recall would be exhausted system wide. Course, I thought that back when I took the job as a Sch in TULE too!

Btw, I'm a 6/88 grad of Spartan, been around the block in this ind, CO,NW,FX,WOA,AA,BCA...before someone asks, and they always do, I was terminated at FedEx by an anal, micro-managing hardliner Mgr who is no longer at the Co. They through his ass overboard for his strong arm managing style/tactics. The damage was done to me. All one needs to do to get terminated at FX is get 3 letters slapped against you in a 12 mo period(not for same violation)and you're gone. I've never wanted to take anyone in my life,until I got nailed by that ####. It's far easier than most in FX realize to get terminated at that place. All the Mgr needs to do is make his mind up, start watching you close. There were actually other Mgrs that were gald to see this man go. I heard it out of there mouths/emails I got from them. I've talked to lawyers, Teamster organizers(Teamster drive goin on)and other Mgrs in FX that knew me from MEM. No dice after you're nailed at FX. Almost have to have Freds blessing to get back in. They know this guy went out of his way to nail me.
So, yeah...I've held the line/temptation to cross the NWA line-coulda easily went back to wk for them, be at DL now. But I didn't.
I WILL NOT cross a picket line. And I almost lost everything back then. I wonder how many others in this busness would've been so strong. THAT was the acid test. And I can hold my head up high when talk to all the exNWA guys I work with.
And they thank me.
Thanks guys, truly hope you guys get a great deal. You deserve it.
-

Must you, the guy has been oustide AA and see's another world, if you would like, make an opening for him, have you been working outside AA in the recent past??

PS I'm very Union and no AA lover.
<_< -------- As a matter of fact he has! :rolleyes:

<_< ------- Friend, I know it's not much, but I'll tell you what I told my son. --------- There's more to life than Airplanes!!! Good luck to you no matter where you end up! I've played that commutor game too. Not fun!!!

I WILL NOT cross a picket line. And I almost lost everything back then. I wonder how many others in this busness would've been so strong. THAT was the acid test. And I can hold my head up high when talk to all the exNWA guys I work with.
And they thank me.
Thanks guys, truly hope you guys get a great deal. You deserve it.
-

I want you to thank you for not crossing and say I am sorry we could not do more to help! Many at AA bad mouth what happened there but I for one am grateful to the NWA mechanics they fought and I benefited from their fight to this day I feel certain amount of shame for that.

<_< ------- Friend, I know it's not much, but I'll tell you what I told my son. --------- There's more to life than Airplanes!!! Good luck to you no matter where you end up! I've played that commutor game too. Not fun!!!

Thanks MCI....
I'm 53 now...just about too late to do anything else at this juncture. Btw, there's casualtys from MCI here at BCA too.
And I know what you mean about comml aviation/airplanes. But it would be financial suicide to leave BCA for just anything to get back to TUL(or anywhere closer to home). I've been at the lazy B for less than 2 yrs, and I already mak more than a topped out AA mech.
Btw we're at about 38/hr top out(give or take+pension-rare these days, Boe will dump next contract for newhires-they wanted to drop this time but we got our way THIS time)......Boeing could pay us 50/hr and make little diff. But that's the IAM for ya.
I saw all I needed of them at NWA....what-a-joke. But I know where we'd be too, without representaion to...
ttyl brothers...

I want you to thank you for not crossing and say I am sorry we could not do more to help! Many at AA bad mouth what happened there but I for one am grateful to the NWA mechanics they fought and I benefited from their fight to this day I feel certain amount of shame for that.

Thanks "pitbull"..........

The NWA mechanics are absolutely the reason this craft was ever elevated to the 35-40/hr range. The TWU and the IAM knew damn good and well they'd best bring the membership back the same top out or they were history(although the language sucked). I was in TUL with FX and saw what was going in 2000 negotiations at AA. Also walked outside TUL airport with some AMFA org guys from AA.

Those guys that used to sport the TWU jackets while I was in TULE used to draw snickers and a headshake out of me all the time. They had no idea where I'd been in this industry. And I know if it weren't for the TULE bunch, AA mechs would probably be AMFA a long time ago.(as does the TWU) And...if it weren't for the sweetheart OSM deals the TWU has so eagerly given to AMR, the TULE/AFW bases probably would've been spun off yrs ago.
Which, of course, is the real reason all the line and outstation guys are rightfully pissed at the TULE guys.
What'll buy you a decent house in TUL, will get you a dbl wide mobile home elsewhere. They just can't seem to grasp the concept that TUL is a cow town(remember I live there:) and AA is thankful the place is in one of lowest cost of living areas in the country.
(hint:makes negotiations MUCH easier to get done/ratified)
ttyl)

787 guy,

Thank you for your take of the other side, I wish you well where ever you may go, commuting's no fun that's for sure.

ok, then he has or you have have found a much better place to work, why had you not mentioned that before.
<_< ------- Boston,------- First off, he has, and I have also!----- Joe has gone on to bigger and better things, and after forty years, put my wrenchs away, kicked back, in my hammock, strung between two coconut trees, soak up a little sun, and rum!!!