Are The Workers Too Old?

Bingo, PITbull. This has become very evident in the Expressed stations, and will soon spread Systemwide. Other Airlines that have gone the Express route locally have a very high turnover rate. With this taking place, experience is gone.
Remember that for a decent wage an employee will go that Extra Mile for the Customer, but for a low wage they won't. As I said in another post, nobody wants to blow a $20+ an hour job, but for $9 they can go elsewhere for the same wages, if not higher.

Call me cynical, but I think one aspect of this whole drama at U is to de facto discriminate against the senior employees, while escaping the consequences of de jure discrimination.

All with a wink and a nod from our labor-friendly Administration.

Art at ISP said:
Pitbull,

I know quite well that only the company wants the experienced folks gone. You know how active I have been (and will continue to be) through my own travels and through my work with FFOCUS in supporting the employees as the backbone of the company-- a company which has all the ingredients in place to be the most successful of any airline....
Secondly, if turnover becomes as much of an issue as it is there, how much money is wasted in training and retraining new employees. I am sure that if it were closely watched, the wage savings would mostly be absorbed by this added expense.

I don't have all the answers, but I do have some ideas...

I want this company to not only survive, but to grow and become an industry leader--the ingredients are all there--I only hope we can find the recipe.

My best to you all....
[post="196574"][/post]​

Art,

Thank you for the recognition. We don't get any from the compnay, but at least we get it from some of the customers.

As far as the expenses for training is concerned......
When I was hired a few years ago, the per diem for my class alone cost the company $25,000 for the four weeks for my 25 member class. There were three other classes going and some that came before and after. This does not take into account the pay for trainers, materials, etc. Since then, I think I have had an additional 125 to 150 hours of additional training for various things. Training employees is a huge overhead and most companies invest the time and money hoping the longevity and production of the employee out weighs the expense involved in training.

P.S. I think it is absolutely pathetic that you had to explain to an employee what "protection" was all about. That was a mistake on the company's part for not training the person correctly and it tells me that the company does give a rats ass about the customer.

Latest posts