Axe To Fall At Aa

For what it is worth, today I was informed that on Wed along with the quarterly loses that there was going to be another major announcement. I will wait with everybodyelse to see if this is true or not. What the announcement is to be I don't know,but whatever it is cannot be good for us.

767 mechanic said:
For what it is worth, today I was informed that on Wed along with the quarterly loses that there was going to be another major announcement. I will wait with everybodyelse to see if this is true or not. What the announcement is to be I don't know,but whatever it is cannot be good for us.
[post="192441"][/post]​

Uh,

I think you have been informed of the "major announcement"!

If I'm reading this thread correctly, you are telling me that there ARE mechanics standing around with no work to do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't sound very productive. If the work can be consolidated into two bases, then they have to do that to remain competitive. I have said this on other boards: you guys don't seem to get it. The workplace you guys once knew is a dream now, just like the end of the 1990's. You will never see that kind of prosperity ever again. With fractional ownership on the rise, the higher yielding passenger will circumvent the two hour traffic and security delays on his business trip by not flying on you and not connecting to his final destination. Gone are the days of this high paying passenger pretty much subsidizing Mr. Disney paying $99 (if even that much). Instead of crying about who said what, how about trying to emulate these LCCs in the fact that they work hand in hand with management to survive. I'm sure you have plenty of things to complain about with regards to management, but they probably have the same length of a list. Learn to survive or close shop; it is becoming that easy to understand. The LCCs are not going away. The problem is that you might...............................

markkus757 said:
If I'm reading this thread correctly, you are telling me that there ARE mechanics standing around with no work to do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't sound very productive. If the work can be consolidated into two bases, then they have to do that to remain competitive. I have said this on other boards: you guys don't seem to get it. The workplace you guys once knew is a dream now, just like the end of the 1990's. You will never see that kind of prosperity ever again. With fractional ownership on the rise, the higher yielding passenger will circumvent the two hour traffic and security delays on his business trip by not flying on you and not connecting to his final destination. Gone are the days of this high paying passenger pretty much subsidizing Mr. Disney paying $99 (if even that much). Instead of crying about who said what, how about trying to emulate these LCCs in the fact that they work hand in hand with management to survive. I'm sure you have plenty of things to complain about with regards to management, but they probably have the same length of a list. Learn to survive or close shop; it is becoming that easy to understand. The LCCs are not going away. The problem is that you might...............................
[post="192463"][/post]​

Ok and what should the compensation be for a aircraft mechanic who assumes the responsibility, along with the flight crew, of the lives of the passengers?

At what point do you believe the mechanics at the majors will begin to look elsewhere for work?

Buck said:
At what point do you believe the mechanics at the majors will begin to look elsewhere for work?
[post="192466"][/post]​

As fate would have it, I believe there are a couple thousand mechanics at Alaska, Delta, Northwest, United, and US Airways who had no choice but to look elsewhere for work....

Former ModerAAtor said:
As fate would have it, I believe there are a couple thousand mechanics at Alaska, Delta, Northwest, United, and US Airways who had no choice but to look elsewhere for work....
[post="192739"][/post]​

Ok of those who are still working what should their compensation be?

Is the aircraft mechanic important?

Former ModerAAtor said:
[post="192739"][/post]​

And despite the poor economy most have probably found it!

Buck said:
Is the aircraft mechanic important?
[post="192748"][/post]​

Is the steering wheel on your truck more important than the drive-shaft??...

Sure, the mechanic is important. So is the agent who had to deal with the customers inside, the clerk who loads the bags, the mechanic who keeps the ground equipment running, and the folks who work in accounting making sure our invoices are being paid.

Trying to convince me that one subset of employees is more important than another just isn't worth the time or energy.

Former ModerAAtor said:
[post="193157"][/post]​

NO, but you have no problem paying your auto mechanic a shop rate of $90+ an hour.

BTW... Without the Amt, your agents, FSC's, and ground equipment people might as well stay home. Without a properly maintained aircraft, the rest are not needed.

Former ModerAAtor said:

Sure, the mechanic is important. So is the agent who had to deal with the customers inside, the clerk who loads the bags, the mechanic who keeps the ground equipment running, and the folks who work in accounting making sure our invoices are being paid.

Trying to convince me that one subset of employees is more important than another just isn't worth the time or energy.
[post="193157"][/post]​

Can you not answer the question? Is the mechanic important?

I realize that all work groups are required and I see them as important.

What should the compensation for a mechanic at a major airline be?

Buck said:
Can you not answer the question? Is the mechanic important?

I realize that all work groups are required and I see them as important.

What should the compensation for a mechanic at a major airline be?
[post="193167"][/post]​

They will not be able to answer that until planes are falling from the sky due to unskilled, untrained, uneducated workers, because those skilled,trained, and educated, workers went to work in other professions for more pay.

It is like an intersection that needs stop lights, until horrific death occurs, nobody takes action.

I know of many resignations from AA recently by AMT's leaving for their own business adventures. It is just a matter of time now.

The latest TWU email from Dennis :

Notice:

The Company announced a third quarter loss for the year 2004. After the sacrifices that our membership has endured, we find this announcement deeply saddening. At the same time this morning, the Company announced layoffs of TWU represented employees, approximately 300 to 400 at MCI and approximately 225 at STL, with possible cuts at the line stations to come before the year’s end. Your local leadership is in contact and communicating daily with management. The impact on the TWU Tulsa represented employees, IF ANY, is expected to be minuscule. The Company is offering a stand-instead option to the employees at MCI and STL.

Our prayers of support go out to all of our brothers and sisters and their families who are affected by this notice.

Our membership meeting is Monday, October 25th and I encourage you to attend one of the four meetings that are held.

Dennis Burchette, President

Transport Workers Union of America

Local 514

Buck, AMT's are worth whatever they can get from management, a.k.a. Former ModerAAtor, whose job it is to give you as little as possible.

Trying to convince me that one subset of employees is more important than another just isn't worth the time or energy

In other words your just a number. Just shut up and do your job faster and better than anyone else in the "ablsolute world" or we will outsource.

local 12 proud said:
The latest TWU email from Dennis :

Notice:

The Company announced a third quarter loss for the year 2004. After the sacrifices that our membership has endured, we find this announcement deeply saddening. At the same time this morning, the Company announced layoffs of TWU represented employees, approximately 300 to 400 at MCI and approximately 225 at STL, with possible cuts at the line stations to come before the year’s end. Your local leadership is in contact and communicating daily with management. The impact on the TWU Tulsa represented employees, IF ANY, is expected to be minuscule. The Company is offering a stand-instead option to the employees at MCI and STL.

Our prayers of support go out to all of our brothers and sisters and their families who are affected by this notice.

Our membership meeting is Monday, October 25th and I encourage you to attend one of the four meetings that are held.

Dennis Burchette, President

Transport Workers Union of America

Local 514
[post="193179"][/post]​

The impact on the TWU Tulsa represented employees, IF ANY, is expected to be minuscule.

TWU Local 514 Chairman of Maintenance stated that no one in TUL will be affected.