BOD Meeting News.

Age of the fleet is not the compelling factor. As I said, the airframe can be maintained and upgraded to fly for decades. The problem is that UA's fleet of B737's are old on the inside. So, regardless of how well UA maintains the airframe to continue flying, the interiors need major work. The longer UA flies them, the more inferior their onboard product becomes, especially in terms of in-flight entertainment.

Touting an airline as having the youngest fleet in the industry is not an effective marketing tool. Just ask TWA. It didn't exactly work wonders for them when they tried their "1 new plane every 10 days" ad campaign. Customers in general don't care how old the fleet is as long as the aircraft appears to be in good condition. UA's B737's are junk. The onboard product they offer simply cannot compete effectively with newer B737NG and A319/A320 aircraft.

I am saying two airlines, bankrupt, one with an owned old fleet/and best margins/cash going forward vs. one with middle aged fleet and struggling margins that may send it back into bankruptcy with oil at $95 (built on $50 business plan)

None of which had ANYTHING to do with the thread.

Owned fleet??? I remember in '89 when Checci sold and leased back everything in the LBO. I haven't been there since the strike, so I don't know if they managed to buy everything back since then.

Bragging about NWA against UAL is like comparing 2 steaming piles of crap and saying mine is nicer than yours!

See article I just posted under "Hedge Fund Seeks UA/DL Merger."

The current Administration's regulatory window is about to close for any airline industry consolidation. If its going to happen, it has to happen within the next few months. A new Administration and/or split Senate/Congress may very well close the window.

Owned fleet??? I remember in '89 when Checci sold and leased back everything in the LBO. I haven't been there since the strike, so I don't know if they managed to buy everything back since then.

Bragging about NWA against UAL is like comparing 2 steaming piles of crap and saying mine is nicer than yours!

My crap doesn't stink... :p