• "Cactus"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "US Air"

• A new call sign.

• Total voters
Great thread! Lots of creativity.

Apparently, this callsign decision was made by the late Jeff McClelland, AWA COO. He felt that keeping the US Airways name was important for marketing reasons, but he didn't want US Airways pilots to think that they were still working for the same company. Apparently, he had some insight into their incredible sense of entitlement and warped sense of reality.

Regardless of that fact, and even though I'm a "West" guy, I am open to a new call sign.

. Apparently, he had some insight into their incredible sense of entitlement and warped sense of reality.

From what I've read and heard about Jeff McClelland, he was a great person who was very good at his job and his death was a great loss to the company.

Now, many people think that Tempe has the true warped sense of reality. :rolleyes: :)

I actually voted for "Cactus" when starting this thread, thinking it would be a nice way to preserve the HP heritage. Now, the call sign doesn't matter to me. Fixing the operation, in all its tattered areas, is what does matter.

When TWA had to change the callsign to American it was quite a challenge. They distributed a million post-it notes so we could put reminders all over the cockpit. The funny part is when I screwed it up I didn't say "TWA" but reverted to my previous callsign "Chautauqua". One never forgets one's first callsign.

Cactus is good.

Look, you kept USAirways name, something significant from America West should be kept.

When I think of US, I think of bitter whiners.

At least Cactus harkens back to a time when AWA had the fighting spirit, and flying was fun.

Besides, the Cactus is a plant of great beauty, resilience and the ability to survive and thrive in a harsh environment.

Whats's the difference between the Sandcastle and a cactus?

On a cactus the pricks are on the outside.

All this talk about call signs only causes folks to lose focus on the real problems with the company.

Livery, call signs, DOH, US West profitability, etc distracts from the simple fact this product is unusable. Keep the discussion on Shares, working conditions, service and management failings (the call sign does not prove to me anything about Tempe good or bad). Parker continues to run the company and people here discuss the color the outside of the airplanes. Keep fighting the good fight folks, but there are more important things than the call sign to us customers.

Latest posts

Back