Cactus call sign DOA?

a320av8r

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I don't know if it is reliable but-
had an FAA inspector on my jumpseat. He says that the US Air call sign will not be changed. "Cactus is not an internationally recognizable call sign and FAA has turned down the request" he said.
I don't know how an inspector would know before us although we're never told anything.
I'd rather keep our current call sign anyway.

I have NEVER heard of the FAA being involved in a call sign designation....unless it conflicted with another...even then they seem to have had no problem over the last decade having US Airways and United being confused at least once a day on my radio calls. This is a tempest in a teapot. Greeter.

Who cares anyway? We shouldn't forget that this is basically America West Airlines doing business as US Airways. The old USAir/US Airways is dead. Management is doing things as they want (i.e. with America West cacti, tacky Las Vegas ads everywhere plastered everywhere).

Don't get me wrong, I was very sad to see the old US Airways go away. Lots of years invested, but times change. They're going to make the call sign whatever they want.

Who cares anyway? We shouldn't forget that this is basically America West Airlines doing business as US Airways. The old USAir/US Airways is dead. Management is doing things as they want (i.e. with America West cacti, tacky Las Vegas ads everywhere plastered everywhere).

Don't get me wrong, I was very sad to see the old US Airways go away. Lots of years invested, but times change. They're going to make the call sign whatever they want.
The old USair made 4 times the money AWA did last quarter, You guys are the ones that's dead!!!!!!

I have NEVER heard of the FAA being involved in a call sign designation....unless it conflicted with another...even then they seem to have had no problem over the last decade having US Airways and United being confused at least once a day on my radio calls. This is a tempest in a teapot. Greeter.

I heard that the FAA denied Valujet the callsign "Dixie" because it conflicted with the Dixie taxiway in ATL. Never understood that because every other airport in the world probaby has a Delta taxiway.

Who cares anyway? We shouldn't forget that this is basically America West Airlines doing business as US Airways. The old USAir/US Airways is dead.
The "old" USAirways is as dead as the "old" America West. Deal.

Not this old argument!!!!!!!!!!!
Some of you should beat someting else instead of the proverbial dead horse. :lol:

The old USair made 4 times the money AWA did last quarter, You guys are the ones that's dead!!!!!!

sorry it was the new usairways that made money the last quarter the old usairways was dead sept 2005. Be happy you get to see more quarters at catus east.

This might have to do with US being classified as a "flag carrier". Although, HP is as well, so I don't know. This sounds like an urban legend to me.

Latest posts

Back