Cactus call sign

No offense intended but as a customer, you would rarely, if ever, encounter the call sign. It should not and would not impact your experience(s) on the airline. Global thinking is best put to work to obtain a great customer base. Why do you think that Cactus is regional?? Just curious since Arizona is not the only part of the country, or part of the world for that matter, that has cactus.

I think it is regional because it only represents a small portion of the great United States...worlds first and only true superpower. USAIR more represents the nation as a whole. You have the name US Airways, thats a start....build on it....on every turn.

My call sign favorites:

BONUS (or BONE US; depends on how employees get treated)

STOCK OP (requires a minimum of six digits for flight numbers)

NON REV

EAST WEST (versus?)

CRELL IN

CON TRACT (Works well with affiliated carriers)

RAMP RATZ

OUT SOURCE

and finally, BIG LIE

Why do you think that Cactus is regional??

You ARE kidding right? Maybe I just plain missed them in Washington, Detroit, NYC, Boston, Misseapolis, Seatle, Denver, Chicago, St Louis, San Francisco, Paris, London, Frankfurt, Rome, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, etc. :D

I think it is regional because it only represents a small portion of the great United States...worlds first and only true superpower. USAIR more represents the nation as a whole. You have the name US Airways, thats a start....build on it....on every turn.

Since we are made up of so many other airlines now, how MUTT? Nice and short. :rolleyes:

The "call sign" is ONLY for radio communication with ATC. Cactus is much easier to say for the 200th time in a day than is U S Air. As one of the "end users"...I like it.

I'm not an airline employee either. I've never flown on America West. I think there are practical reasons why Cactus might be better.

Mainly it seems phonetically more easily recognizable with the two "K" sounds. Also, its a word that is otherwise improbable to hear in the context that it is used.

I think it's the kind of irony and a little charm that I enjoy encountering in my daily life. Also, it's a real english whole word, which I like.

As long as you guys get a paycheck, what do you care what it's called. Personally, I like Catus - a very succulent name. I just don't see why this is such a thorny issue. So, stop acting like a bunch of pricks. :p

Eye

As long as you guys get a paycheck, what do you care what it's called. Personally, I like Catus - a very succulent name. I just don't see why this is such a thorny issue. So, stop acting like a bunch of pricks. :p

Eye

lol true however cactus is retarded - just imagine going into milan and saying cactus - come on now - that is an insult - USAIR is USAIR for a reason - we are a mix of a lot of different airlines and are usairways - we are not a cactus - lol you west folks are warped!

lol true however cactus is retarded - just imagine going into milan and saying cactus - come on now - that is an insult - USAIR is USAIR for a reason - we are a mix of a lot of different airlines and are usairways - we are not a cactus - lol you west folks are warped!

I don't think "Cactus" is any more retarded than say, "The Clipper". That was Pan American World Airways call sign.

It is still heard from time to time even today. There is a "Clipper Connection" still flying B727's with the blue ball on the tail. Out of Sanford, Florida I think.

As another end user, I will be delighted to use "Cactus" as my new call sign. From Arizona to the Zuider Zee.

We haven't been "USAir" for quite some time.

Go cactus!

I am not "West Coast" and with your logic the name should be "Cacti" not "Cactus." US Airways is the name of the company
and like "Maverick" and "Goose" this company needs a cool call sign.

Eye

It is really quite interesting how much chatter this subject is generating. Maybe the best solution should be voted on by the end users....

It is really quite interesting how much chatter this subject is generating. Maybe the best solution should be voted on by the end users....
That'd be the pilots?
I can tell you that the "Southern Division" would vote for Cactus or anything else that would erase the reference to the last 18 years of incompetence.

BTW: Best call sign I've heard is "gunslinger" owned by some Navy squadron in SoCal.

Well, it's obviously a 'taste' matter, but I think that it might break along pretty clear personality traits:

Intuitive vs. Sensing.

Those that like Cactus, like the ironic humor in it.

Those that like USAir, like things orderly and sensible.

Generally, one of those groups of personalities tends to makes my eyes roll and I don't wish to spend much free time with them, especially when they insist that the rest of the world must have imagination POUNDED out of them.

Well, it's obviously a 'taste' matter, but I think that it might break along pretty clear personality traits:

Intuitive vs. Sensing.

Those that like Cactus, like the ironic humor in it.

Those that like USAir, like things orderly and sensible.

Generally, one of those groups of personalities tends to makes my eyes roll and I don't wish to spend much free time with them, especially when they insist that the rest of the world must have imagination POUNDED out of them.
:lol: :up: