Cactus Call Sign

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
The idea was mentioned a while back either here or over at US forum; I'm surprised it hasn't gotten much ink. It seems that a good way to celebrate the HP heritage after the merger would be to keep the "Cactus" radio call sign. US still uses "US Air" apparently because ICAO like to keep call signs short. It would be more appropiate to use a distinct call sign rather than a truncated name. (Like "Speedbird" for BA or "Empress" for the late, great Canadian Pacific (or Pacifique depending on your loyalties) and, my favorite, "Water ski" for Trans States.

I don't think ICAO really cares. TWA had five syllables. Definitely too long but there it was. I think the airline has a lot of freedom to choose its callsign.

My big pet peeve is pilots who add an "s" to the end of their call sign, ie, "Usairs" and "Deltas". I really don't get it.

I agree "Cactus" would be good. U tried to buy "Flagship" but Eagle wouldn't sell it. "Gray Flag" has been toyed with too in the past but, personally I'd like "Cactus".

ICAO did change the requirements for new call signs a couple of years ago.
Should be no more than two syllables and can not contain several words, one of them being "air".

From what I am hearing as a HP employee is that the pilots are really pushing to retain the Cactus call sign. Along the same lines - I am set to get my 20 year anniversary pin in January. HP has said that is only has enough 20 yr. pins until the end of 2005 and they are unsure as to what they are going to do/order for the remaining employees getting their pins. What they do should be interesting......

I think we should keep the Cactus call sign...Even if its the only thing we get to keep...

I hope you get your 20 year pin flytchick, I hope they have five year pins left too! I know its not the same as a tewnty year pin, but I still want my five year after all this..

I would hope that nothing that concerns the employees would be considered "trivial". Isnt this part of the problem from the last couple of attempts at this? Seems many thought quite a bit was "trivial" and it's caused major problems since. If we are all going to get along, everything should be looked at with respect to feelings on both sides. If the USAir call sign isnt that big a deal, then calling US "Cactus" would go a long way toward building goodwill and pride in the new carrier. Something sorely lacking in its current state.
JMO.

Did someone get up on the WRONG side of the jumpseat this mornin'? I'm sorry, does the merger bother you? Please give me insight of why this should fail? I'll give you one good reason if it does fail..... NEGATIVE ATTITUDE!!

Well in case you haven't checked, YOU should be thankful YOU have a job, while there are people out there on their butts right now wishing they did, and besides you still have a choice, the door is still open if you want to leave. At one point I wasn't happy about this merger either, but I've gone thorugh to much with HP to back out now, and I'm in it for the long HUAL BABY!! It has been said time and time again both Airlines were going to be up for sale if they hadn't done something, so get over it and MOVE ON!!

Sorry to :rant: but I'm really tired of all the CRAP!!

exB717Flyer said:
I don't think ICAO really cares. TWA had five syllables. Definitely too long but there it was. I

Did anyone in the real world EVER give "Tee-Double-You-Aaee" is full, proper five-syllable due?
Usually it came out "Tee-Dubyaee" which is only three or even (if really hurried) two syllables!
:D

LUV2FLYHIGH said:
Did someone get up on the WRONG side of the jumpseat this mornin'? I'm sorry, does the merger bother you? Please give me insight of why this should fail? I'll give you one good reason if it does fail..... NEGATIVE ATTITUDE!!

Well in case you haven't checked, YOU should be thankful YOU have a job, while there are people out there on their butts right now wishing they did, and besides you still have a choice, the door is still open if you want to leave. At one point I wasn't happy about this merger either, but I've gone thorugh to much with HP to back out now, and I'm in it for the long HUAL BABY!! It has been said time and time again both Airlines were going to be up for sale if they hadn't done something, so get over it and MOVE ON!!

Sorry to :rant: but I'm really tired of all the CRAP!!
[post="287592"][/post]​

I am not sure who you are responding to, but if you are speaking to me you have some serious anger issues. Nobody on this thread said anything about failing.
I basically said the call sign isn't an issue. I apologize if you were not talking to me, but if you are GET A GRIP and read first before responding.

a320av8r said:
I agree "Cactus" would be good. U tried to buy "Flagship" but Eagle wouldn't sell it. "Gray Flag" has been toyed with too in the past but, personally I'd like "Cactus".

ICAO did change the requirements for new call signs a couple of years ago.
Should be no more than two syllables and can not contain several words, one of them being "air".
[post="287441"][/post]​

Why not just use "Phoenix." Rising from the ashes to start a new life. A symbol of immortality.

I would like to see the word "Air" eliminated from any call sign under consideration. Too many companys use it now, and it can be confusing with similar call signs in a busy ATC environment.

mga707 said:
Did anyone in the real world EVER give "Tee-Double-You-Aaee" is full, proper five-syllable due?
Usually it came out "Tee-Dubyaee" which is only three or even (if really hurried) two syllables!
:D
[post="287597"][/post]​

Or just "T-way."

My own personal fave was "sundance," used by WestAir.

RowUnderDCA said:
LOL To the layman, "Phoenix" for an air plane operating in Arizona might be a bit confusing? Scene from Airplane anyone?
[post="287654"][/post]​

Sky Harbor Tower-Phoenix 320 is on a 12 mile final for Runway 26.

Roger Phoenix 320. Cleared to land Runway 26, wind 260 at 5.

I don't see the problem.

Latest posts