Cactus Call Sign

RowUnderDCA said:
LOL To the layman, "Phoenix" for an air plane operating in Arizona might be a bit confusing? Scene from Airplane anyone?
[post="287654"][/post]​

Roger, Roger! (sorry, couldn't resist)
"Phoenix" call sign in PHX would cause trouble. A few years back, ATL changed the name of taxiway "D" to "Dixie" to avoid confusion with the name of a certain airline with a hub located there.

Twicebaked said:
I am not sure who you are responding to, but if you are speaking to me you have some serious anger issues. Nobody on this thread said anything about failing.
I basically said the call sign isn't an issue. I apologize if you were not talking to me, but if you are GET A GRIP and read first before responding.
[post="287618"][/post]​

No, I'm just saying in general, that's all and I just been reading to many posts, so I had to vent sorry...
You might not think the call sign is an issue, but for some it is.
And as for failing, there are many people out who would like us too, I just hope with both airlines together we won't..

a320av8r said:
I agree "Cactus" would be good. U tried to buy "Flagship" but Eagle wouldn't sell it. "Gray Flag" has been toyed with too in the past but, personally I'd like "Cactus".

ICAO did change the requirements for new call signs a couple of years ago.
Should be no more than two syllables and can not contain several words, one of them being "air".
[post="287441"][/post]​

Cactus is ok with me. It will feel like a change to us over at U and we really need change. It will feel like home to the HP folks and I think that would be good also.

a320av8r said:
ICAO did change the requirements for new call signs a couple of years ago.
Should be no more than two syllables and can not contain several words, one of them being "air".
[post="287441"][/post]​

Couldn't find a list of call signs on the ICAO website, but a list of call signs - past and present - can be found here:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Airline-call-sign

Sorta like the call sign for Faucett of Peru; IIRC they are no longer around, freeing up that call sign. Maybe we can all nominate what airline can inherit it. (Mesa? :D )

Mid Continent Airlines had "Heartland" and a little airline out of Dayton Executive called North Coast used to have "Top Hat".

luvn737s said:
Mid Continent Airlines had "Heartland"

I'm guessing you are not referring to the original Kansas City-based Mid-Continent (originally Hanford Airlines) that flew DC-3s and CV-240s and merged into Braniff in 1952?
Assuming someone somewhere a bit more recently must have recycled the name but I just can't remember who or where or when...

No, this one was Braniff Express flying Metro 3s and Cessna 402's I think, around 1988-89

I vote for "Cactus."

"Heartland" wouldn't be appropriate because the airline doesn't do much business in the "heartland." It's hubs are near the east and west coasts, which leads me to think that:

BARBELL

might be appropriate, based on the original name of the merger plan: Operation Barbell.

nycbusdriver said:
I vote for "Cactus."

"Heartland" wouldn't be appropriate because the airline doesn't do much business in the "heartland." It's hubs are near the east and west coasts, which leads me to think that:

BARBELL

might be appropriate, based on the original name of the merger plan: Operation Barbell.
[post="288020"][/post]​

Is that BARBELL or BARBILL? Ooops.

Kev3188 said:
Or just "T-way."

My own personal fave was "sundance," used by WestAir.
[post="287669"][/post]​
West Aire or are you thinking of AirWest/Hughes AirWest? Yellow birds with blue logo. The fleet of DC-9's were refered to as Sundance Jets

Just kidding, but how about "Big Debt"? I say stick with "Cactus". Afterall the USAirways name stays so the AWA call sign should stay. This makes them equals on that field. Just my thoughts.........