"Can I get your name"..."No, I don't give my name"

Airport employees wear SIDA badges issued by the Airport, Flight Crews do not.

Big differance.

If Flight Crews are required to wear their IDs at all times, please show us the FAR the requires that practice.

I don't want to quote the Flight Operations manual directly just in case there is any sensitive nature to the content but look at section 13.3.2 if you have authorized access to the manual. It tells you when and how pilots MUST wear the ID Card at all times while on duty. I do not know if the F/A's have other guidance but I doubt it. It MUST be worn in a specific way that is always visible WHILE ON DUTY. That obviously includes in flight. I always thought it was silly for F/A's to think that not wearing their Badge or wearing it with the back side facing out was going to somehow immunize them against complaints for bad behavior. Grow up!

Let's take a look at why this thread even exists for a moment.

Let's take the Gate Agent's as our "study group" and see if we can at least understand how customer satisfaction is sent to 33E.

Entry Level Pay - $8.72/hour
HOLY CRAP!! WE GOT A RAISE!!!???? WHEN???? NOW I CAN BUY BUTTER FOR MY RAMENS!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

:up:

For inflight crewmembers the ID has to be visible on the outermost garment above the waist even on the aircraft, until the first passenger boards and then the ID is to be turned around or can be put away. Passengers have no need to see any of the information on a flight crew ID. The ID is not intended to be an informational device for passengers. The flight attendant's first name is on their apron and if that is not displayed then all a passenger needs to do is include the flight number, date, and the city pair and whether the flight attendant was male or female and possibly a description.

Until recently I never really cared if a passenger knew my first name, however since society no longer knows how to behave in public and likes to scream your name from 15 rows back to pick up their gum wrapper, it's no longer necessary for our names to be displayed for everyone to see. I don't know your first name so you don't need to know mine. If for some reason someone has a problem with me this company can and will find me and if I for some reason have a problem with a passenger we have our ways too.

It really has everything to do with security (and alot of crewmembers are very touchy about that, for good reason) and if you're not a crewmember then you really have no reason to comment or give your opinion on the matter since you are not properly briefed on the matter and most importantly do not walk in our shoes. I certainly do not condone some of our crewmember's actions, however as I said above, you can forward that information on to Customer Relations with the information at hand. I agree with the person above who said that we should have the passenger's company information (if they are on business or are a FF) so when they get out of line we can forward that information on to the proper person.

The system is set up to generate turnover so very few hang long enough to reach top of scale

And the system prevents much institutional knowledge on how do deal with problems that are not run of the mill issues.

Try reading my entire post.

When you create a system that puts low wage people in positions of high stress with minimal training don't acted surprised when the entry level folks fail.

The system is set up to generate turnover so very few hang long enough to reach top of scale

I did read the entire post. I get it.

Just surprised that other airlines treat their front line employees with such disdain, similarly to US. It's just unbelievable.

I've always heard Wendy's paid more! Plus free Frosty's :up: :up:

The Sheetz where GoFaresBoy and I had lunch in OH today was looking for help starting at $8.75/hr with benefits. I'd even bet they get free coffee and other goodies, too!

For those in PHL, does Wawa pay as well?

Gotta call you on this.

If, indeed, a crew-member was "murdered", was it because they gave out their name?

I doubt it. I am asking for proof.
I have always kept my ID badge turned around while serving the cabin. There is NO reason for you to know my name. If, however, you do need to know be it for a complaint or compliment, I give my first name and let the pax know to include the date and flight # when writing the letter/e-mail. I don't know YOUR last name now do I?? As a matter of fact, at Piedmont we had our names on our wings and they were taken off for security reasons.
As far as F/As being murdered/sexually assaulted, yes that has happened. The one that comes specifically to mind was the Northwest F/A and the guy that hid in the bedframe under her bed. Not sure what year that was.
I can tell you however that about 10 years ago I had a pax ask my name. I told him my first name. He asked the F/A in the back my last name....told her he wanted to write a good letter. He then asked another F/A what the name of our hotel was. This nutcase showed up at the hotel and told the front desk person he knew me and asked for my room #---which the bozo gave him. Next thing I knew, casanova was knocking on my door at my hotel. Security got involved, the company got involved and it freaked me out.
Sorry folks, there are plenty of wierdos out there so my name badge stays turned around and I only tell pax my name on a need to know basis. In addition, if a pax asks for another crew members name I tell them they need to 1) ask that crew member themselves or 2) tell them that they should include in their letter that the F/A was working the A,B,C,D,E, etc position.

I have always kept my ID badge turned around while serving the cabin. There is NO reason for you to know my name. If, however, you do need to know be it for a complaint or compliment, I give my first name and let the pax know to include the date and flight # when writing the letter/e-mail. I don't know YOUR last name now do I?? As a matter of fact, at Piedmont we had our names on our wings and they were taken off for security reasons.
As far as F/As being murdered/sexually assaulted, yes that has happened. The one that comes specifically to mind was the Northwest F/A and the guy that hid in the bedframe under her bed. Not sure what year that was.
I can tell you however that about 10 years ago I had a pax ask my name. I told him my first name. He asked the F/A in the back my last name....told her he wanted to write a good letter. He then asked another F/A what the name of our hotel was. This nutcase showed up at the hotel and told the front desk person he knew me and asked for my room #---which the bozo gave him. Next thing I knew, casanova was knocking on my door at my hotel. Security got involved, the company got involved and it freaked me out.
Sorry folks, there are plenty of wierdos out there so my name badge stays turned around and I only tell pax my name on a need to know basis. In addition, if a pax asks for another crew members name I tell them they need to 1) ask that crew member themselves or 2) tell them that they should include in their letter that the F/A was working the A,B,C,D,E, etc position.
As I said you may not have been around for a long time... this was before we were required to have our ID visable at all times....we at the time had our names on our wings... it was engraved on our wings... full name....first middle and last name... again.... first ...middle...and last name.... our id's at the time were not
required.... they were kept at home.... unlike today... where you cannot walk in the airport w/o out it...

so again first... last and middle name on our wings.... so the pax had full disclosure of who we were...

and btw... I had a PAX follow me out to the curbside to our hotel...and it was a very scary event...
so don't act like this is a surprise to you.... and if you want to know names of the dead I will tell you...
it is very true...

not mad up. end of story :angry:

There's a reason why we on the East have adopted a courtesy of waiting in the hallway while our FA's check their rooms...bad things have happened in the past. The initial poster who believes they are "entitled" to sensititve identity information is wrong, plain and simple.

We have badges with pictures so that we can pass through TSA, be in sensitive areas at corporate (requiring a 10 year background and DMV check) and have access to the aircraft after being (again) checked at the gate....

NONE of these security measures were ever drafted to provide for passenger scrutiny or praise once aboard the aircraft.

I just rode on SWA tonight...ALL 3 FA's ID's were turned backwards, and placed INSIDE their shirt pocket.

Enough said.

not mad up. end of story
I appreciate your futile attempts to answer my question. I am simply asking you if you can tie the FA's publicly displayed name to the cause of their death. So far, you have not done so.

I am in total agreement with you that not one crew-member should ever give out their names.
I am not accusing you of "mak" ing something up. You seem to be jumping to conclusions leaping from FA's name on wings to that being the cause of their death. It may be but their is no evidence to such a connection.

What actually is the policy for name badges? I've noticed many different attitudes toward them... One FA who often flew the same route I took would always turn his name badge around, so you could never see his name. I see some employees that hide their badge behing other stuff, and others that just show their entire badge, full name and all. To me, it seems like Express people never care if you see their entire name, but mainline attendants try to hide their names more frequently?

The name badges are probably only for security purposes to identify that they work for the airline. In my case, I don't feel that people should know my full name because we live in a changed world. You meet so many people every day that you really don't know if your personal security may be an issue, if you get my analogy.

As I said you may not have been around for a long time... this was before we were required to have our ID visable at all times....we at the time had our names on our wings... it was engraved on our wings... full name....first middle and last name... again.... first ...middle...and last name.... our id's at the time were not
required.... they were kept at home.... unlike today... where you cannot walk in the airport w/o out it...

so again first... last and middle name on our wings.... so the pax had full disclosure of who we were...

and btw... I had a PAX follow me out to the curbside to our hotel...and it was a very scary event...
so don't act like this is a surprise to you.... and if you want to know names of the dead I will tell you...
it is very true...

not mad up. end of story :angry:
Honey, I've been around long enough to remember when all we had to do to get through the airport was show our ID...we didn't have to have our bags screened, go through security or anything. As I said in my post, my Piedmont wings had my name on them--first and last-- and those were replced due to security reasons.
As a matter of fact, when I first started in GSO, we used a card at the gate to walk across the ramp right past the aircraft to start our day....then the PSA incident happened and we all had to start going through security. Those were the good old days......

Back