"Can I get your name"..."No, I don't give my name"

I've met Bruce, both personally and professionally. Have you? And were you reading him just now, or 10 or 15 years ago? A bunch of us who saw his theoretical work hoped for years that he'd branch out as he has.
He says he has not "met" you. Bruce knows me, apparently he does not know you.

True statement whose extension does not apply to FAs.

Let me get this right, your comment is in reference to FA's not being in the service industry? If this is your attitude, you have much to learn. Anybody that works for the airline, especially those in direct contact with passengers are in the service industry. It may not be my job to push a wheelchair, but I will do it if I see a passenger in need.

How do you think revenue is generated for the airline that goes in your paycheck? If you do not have a grasp of this concept, you may need to think seriously about a career change.

How do you think revenue is generated for the airline that goes in your paycheck? If you do not have a grasp of this concept, you may need to think seriously about a career change.
Um, I would happily can this airline.

Your problem is that you would support a structure incompatible with reality.

Let something incompatible with reality try to survive, for once.

If you knew his body of work, you will know that he essentially laughs at things like a "10 year background check." (which I essentially did before you pulled my quote out of context). Further, you would also know that Bruce would probably laugh hysterically about the idea that refusing to provide one's name in the furthering of "security" is a joke in and of itself.
Well, it seems you are laughing at yourself.

Your quote was not "pulled out of context". If it did not convey what you wanted, perhaps you should try to say what you mean. Meaning, if it was written so sloppy as to be misconstrued, perhaps you should work on your writing skills, first.

Your second statement is a non issue, because I also know that withholding one's name does little "for" security (as you think you know it) but if it allows an employee to work freely and minimize stress (provides for their individual security) then I will protect that issue for them.

Slow down and read what Mr. Schneier says about security. The first clue is that Mr. Schneier says that being "secure" depends on one's perspective, a basic issue you seem to have missed.

Um, I would happily can this airline.
You made my point. I'm sure the airline would be happy to can you.

That is an interesting link you have. If you are looking for a war criminal, they found him and sent him to the gallows. Who's side are you on anyway?

Bottom line on this thread. that seems to have run it's course is that anyone who is afraid to stand behind their work and give their name has something to hide. Pitiful. And please don't give me it's not safe. Baloney. :ph34r:

Bottom line on this thread. that seems to have run it's course is that anyone who is afraid to stand behind their work and give their name has something to hide. Pitiful. And please don't give me it's not safe. Baloney. :ph34r:

Well. I'm glad you've settled the entire matter once and for all to your satisfactions.

4merresrat has spoken, everyone. Time to close the thread. Discussion over. 4merresrat is right and THAT IS THAT!

I had what was probably the most miserable F/A I've ever witnessed, on US #730 tonight. I was sitting in F (on a 2 row 757) and we had a male F/A who didn't smile once. His greeting was a very bland, monotone "hello" when we boarded. He came around for drink service one time, and delivered meals about an hour into the flight. He was absent the rest of the time (doing a crossword as I saw when I used the lav). He not once ever smiled or looked at a passenger directly when addressing them.

Now, all that I guess is par for the course when it comes to F/A's who have lost all respect for their job, company, etc. I HAVE, however, had wonderful F/A's through all the turmoil of this business (and this company).

His reasons for maintaining such a negative disposition could be anything which is too bad because it only hurts the company in the long run. I was ready to let it go and chalk it up to an F/A who was probably spending the night away from home on Thanksgiving evening and just down on the whole situation.

But what I found particularly irksome upon deplaning was a woman getting up from row 3 (who had an assistance dog) that politely asked him for his name. I don't know if it was to thank him for something or to report him for something (even though he didn't work the coach cabin).

His response was a very terse "I don't give my name out" as he quickly dismissed her and gave no further explanation or conversation. He didn't wear a name tag or badge, nor did he for the entire flight. Isn't it at least a policy to have one's company badge displayed at all times while on duty? He surely never had one on. But he did wear a kitchen apron that had the words "DANNY BOY" embroidered on it.....

Although I don't work for US anymore (I believe a ThankGod will eventually come in to play) I do know
that it wasn't something that we did .... especially if we were having a BAD day...
I had revieved numerous postive letters at the company but there was one situation where a passenger
was very rude and needy and I made a comment on her behavior... well, she wanted my name and all
of the other 5 flight attendants wouldnt give it to her...nor would the Captain. So, unlike my job now
where Im the ONLY Flight attendant ( And yes 3 women..note WOMEN have sent in complaint letters)
You probably will never get that Flight Attendants name....
P.S. I have recieved NUMEROUS Award Certificates from our top Frequent Flyers...Thus winning a
Drawing ... which entitled me to 25,000 AA miles... SO, Sometimes it is the Flight Attendant having
a BAD day...BUT, Speaking from experience...It was Women who didnt like the fact that I was telling
them what to do !!!!!!

There is a huge difference between working in Res and being a frontline employee. Don't comment on things that you know nothing about.

Here's my two cents. Which, is usually in foreign currency and yarn and whatever else I found in my pocket, but I really don't think it's ever necessary to give a passenger, customer, whoever, your FULL name unless you are in management and conflict resolution is part of your position. It is always easy to find out who the offending employee was by referencing a flight, a reciept, a specific date and time you were there....etc.

If you REALLY want to write a letter, and you REALLY feel like you've been wronged, and you think it's serious enough that the employee needs to be accountable, then you would be diligent and discreet enough to use what information you may have instead of making the situation more inflammatory. Otherwise, I would think that the offended should step back for a second and really evaluate what their role and perception had to do with getting him or her at that boiling point.. the issue at hand dealt with a customer service experience that a customer had with an employee of an airline.

Because that flight attendant or agent doesn't have fiduciary responsibility to that passenger, I don't believe the last name was appropriate. However, the airline does have that responsibility and when handling that situation, should take the customer's claim seriously. And like Tad said, document, document, document! If you are a FA, ask an agent to document it for you and if they won't do it, ask another one.

At the end of the day, I think the real service will change when we try to understand our passengers better because they are a very diverse group. Understanding difference between empoyee/customer and fiduciary repsonsibility to a client would be helpful because many of our fliers are immersed in a world where they are catering to clients where it is absolutely necessary to know as much information as possible and utlize it to earn and keep repeat business.

And then there are those that spent their whole life saving to go to Disneyworld on Mcd's wages and finally get to go and it's devastating with things go wrong.

And then there are jerks who just go off. Here's how I handle those. I think they are impulsive, passionate, and they burn out quickly. I dont think they're going to write a letter because by the time they get home, it's over and done with. I document their records, and I try not to let it bother me because most of the time, if this gnome can't charm them, they're just whack.

I have been in this industry for ten years (Wendys!) but it doesn't pay my bills. I have had my own business for years, with very intensive sales training and experience, and I find that understanding the relationship that you engage in while you are at work is extremely important to keeping those people in your business circle. If I weren't working here, I'd be buying a crapload of hamburgers, so I kind of know how I would feel and want to be treated because I worked very hard to build my business, yet remember what it was like to scrape pennies together to visit a sick relative. Wanna know what a weirdo I am? I worked my gnomey tail off so that I could afford to have this job. So, it's possible that I'm just nuts and you shouldnt listen to anything I say.

So, for the people like me that skim to the bottom, sorry I had my little soapbox moment :)

I think I'm gonna go throw a thread off topic to restore the balance of the planet. :blink:

You are pretty much pontificating about something with which you know very little.

I am quite capable of assessing a crew with which I work, without expensive and essentially worthless "background checks". In fact, I have an opportunity to observe their behavior in ways no "security check" can. Even more, I select for those with enthusiasm, the ability to think outside the box and "street smarts", qualities considered "marginal", or even disqualifying in many such "security" checks.

Perhaps you are naive, something you can alleviate by reading about security. I suggest starting with Bruce Schneier but there are many other ways to educate yourself.

Bruce's latest article (talk about not thinking outside the box, but I bet the guards passed extensive "security checks")
Crews who work on the a/c have background checks... finger prints etc....
eom

Latest posts