Cancelled Mediation Meeting

T

The Goose

Word has it the 5 March meeting in TUL was cxled because the mediator had told the company to have people present with enough horsepower to make a decision rather than parrot the company line. This was not done.

He had also told the union to pare the number of its people in the room (the reason for the numbers cut in the committee). This was done but there were some added back by Connely to the committee due to whining.

Supposedly, the mediator decided neither side was really serious about negotiating (what was his first clue?) and cancelled the meeting.

Has anyone else gotten any info re: this?

I guess I wonder what little Jimmy is going to do about his March 8th, get it done or else statement given the mediators refusal to even meet?

Please note the title of this thread. It is about a cancelled mediation meeting for the mechanics. Stick to the topic, please. Posts have been deleted.

Supposedly, the mediator decided neither side was really serious about negotiating (what was his first clue?) and cancelled the meeting.

Are we to believe both parties really don't want to negotiate at this time? I could believe this is the case based on the unions perceived premise that we already make enough money and should be grateful to have a job and the compAAny's past position on "permanent concessions". I guess the only way my average wage will increase is through overtime hours.

I guess the only way my average wage will increase is through overtime hours.

So work 12 hours a day when you could only work 8? No quality of life there.

What happens when people count on OT as salary and the company starts cracking down on the OT budget.....

Not a good scenario.

I agree... We have alot of AMT's making ends meet because of overtime...

The rule is.. If you can't make it on a 40 hour week, your either in the wrong occupation or wrong lifestyle..

The rule is.. If you can't make it on a 40 hour week, your either in the wrong occupation or wrong lifestyle..

And these are precisely the people that the company preys on to believe the PR with their "Lucky to Have a Job" mantra that they repeatedly remind us of.

I agree to a point. What about the guy that was making it OK on 40 hours a week and then takes a cut like we did in 2003? Through no fault of his own his wages have been cut and now he is forced to rely on either a second job or overtime to maintain the status quo.

I'm sure everyone knows some fool that buys the new house and/or SUV just after the bottom falls out -- those people are too stupid to be salvageable.

My experience is I bought the my childhood home in 1999 and went about renovating it all out-of-pocket and all on my own (no contractors). Things were going smoothly (although slowly) until planes started running into buildings in 2001. By 2003 we were at the point that we couldn't live in the house (too opened up and work still in progress) and the pay cut meant that I could afford to pay the two mortgages (that one which was not much at all and the house we live in) but not continue with the renovations. So the house has sat unoccupied and unfinished -- regular maintenance but not enough to continue the work needed to finish it. So is that my fault?

When I drive my 40-plus year old truck or my 25-year-old car I don't think I'm living in the wrong lifestyle.......

My understanding is that the mediator sets the schedule, bottom line. He may have whatever reasons, but it is beyond the control of either our negotiators or the company's.

Might be good to think of consequences like this before screaming to bring the feds in next time!

From the proposals presented by the company and the known history of the TWU in negotiations I would just assume keep working under this agreement and avoid the TWU outcome of the farce at hand.

From the proposals presented by the company and the known history of the TWU in negotiations I would just assume keep working under this agreement and avoid the TWU outcome of the farce at hand.

And come April PUP time, they can preach to us of how generous their offer was to us with all that profit sharing and how we could have the same deal. You know, just like the big shots!

My understanding is that the mediator sets the schedule, bottom line. He may have whatever reasons, but it is beyond the control of either our negotiators or the company's.

Might be good to think of consequences like this before screaming to bring the feds in next time!

The mediator does set the schedule and many sessions have been delayed through the years due to circumstances unbeknownest to the masses. Hopefully, the sessions will be rescheduled promptly.

You're exactly right: the schedule is up to the mediator and no one else. We have no idea what the internal dynamics of the negotiation are, so it's pointless to speculate or try to place blame on either side. It could be a simple scheduling issue for the mediator himself.