Catering cuts effective 09/01/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say I was right or not....

I AM telling you that if you want to make the issue me including thru the post voting system, then I will make sure that the board is focused on exactly what you focus on - me vs. the subject.

If you or someone else don't agree with the subject being discussed, then write your objection and move on.

if repeating the same thing over and over again were really the "rules" of the board, then the labor discussions that go on endlessly would come to a quick end.

As far as the subject matter that is discussed, I do nothing any different from what goes on regarding other subjects.

so are we discussing catering changes at AA or me?

and you are precisely why you get the board you say you don't want.

can you focus on the topic of catering or not?

I started this thread to discuss the upcoming changes to in-flight service which to a revenue passenger are indeed disappointing.  Not sure why some here welcome AA shifting from filling, quality meals to packaged junk food.  There are occasions when I turn down the meals if I have work, just ate or plan to eat upon arrival or the only choices are foods I don't eat, I politely decline the meal but its nice to have available.  Also, I wonder what will happen with the availability of SPMLs domestically. Does US allow SPMLs for domestic flights with meal service in FC?  Currently DL offers them on all flights with meal service-including Delta Connection carriers while AA restricts them to transcons and UA for JFK only transcons. 

Josh

josh If i were you I would not sweat it so much about the changes in the food crap that is served AA is matching the other 2 airlines and will offer a better product than them.  Dont like it but sadly it is what it is. 

WorldTraveler said:
I AM telling you that if you want to make the issue me including thru the post voting system, then I will make sure that the board is focused on exactly what you focus on - me vs. the subject.
Of course you will.

"Board domination" and all that.

737823 said:
I started this thread to discuss the upcoming changes to in-flight service which to a revenue passenger are indeed disappointing.  Not sure why some here welcome AA shifting from filling, quality meals to packaged junk food.  There are occasions when I turn down the meals if I have work, just ate or plan to eat upon arrival or the only choices are foods I don't eat, I politely decline the meal but its nice to have available.  Also, I wonder what will happen with the availability of SPMLs domestically. Does US allow SPMLs for domestic flights with meal service in FC?  Currently DL offers them on all flights with meal service-including Delta Connection carriers while AA restricts them to transcons and UA for JFK only transcons. 

Josh
Ok, now this is interesting. I didn't think any carriers still did SPML's domestically. I'm assuming the only options left are Kosher and Vegetarian?

Kev3188 said:
Of course you will.

"Board domination" and all that.

Ok, now this is interesting. I didn't think any carriers still did SPML's domestically. I'm assuming the only options left are Kosher and Vegetarian?

No DL offers a whole assortment.  

http://www.delta.com/components/popups/menus/special_meals.jsp

Notably, the new Mint product on B6 only offers Kosher, Vegan and Gluten Free.  AS does not offer SPMLs of any kind.

Josh

737823 said:
Not sure why some here welcome AA shifting from filling, quality meals to packaged junk food.

Because AA is a profit-seeking, publicly-traded corporation responsible for delivering value to shareholders, not a restaurant.  Food is not AA's core business, and so as a result if AA is not able to generate profit from serving food in First Class on shorter domestic flights sufficient to cover its cost of capital, and if it faces very little competitive threat to do so, then why should it do it?  If you're the Chairman of the Board of American Airlines Group, how do you explain to shareholders at the annual meeting why American should be deploying their capital to serve nicer meals when the company is unlikely to be able to ever earn a reasonable return on that capital deployment?

So it's not about "welcoming" a degradation in service - it is, indeed, unfortunate because, as MAH4546 said, AA has long had what I believe to be by far the best premium catering of any major U.S. carrier.  However, again, in an environment when there really is no meaningful, credible competitive threat, there is little justification for AA to continue spending more money on better food.  Is AA going to be able to derive a revenue premium to Delta and United, with their inferior food on a sustainable, long-term basis?  Unlikely.

commavia said:

Because AA is a profit-seeking, publicly-traded corporation responsible for delivering value to shareholders, not a restaurant.  Food is not AA's core business, and so as a result if AA is not able to generate profit from serving food in First Class on shorter domestic flights sufficient to cover its cost of capital, and if it faces very little competitive threat to do so, then why should it do it?  If you're the Chairman of the Board of American Airlines Group, how do you explain to shareholders at the annual meeting why American should be deploying their capital to serve nicer meals when the company is unlikely to be able to ever earn a reasonable return on that capital deployment?

So it's not about "welcoming" a degradation in service - it is, indeed, unfortunate because, as MAH4546 said, AA has long had what I believe to be by far the best premium catering of any major U.S. carrier.  However, again, in an environment when there really is no meaningful, credible competitive threat, there is little justification for AA to continue spending more money on better food.  Is AA going to be able to derive a revenue premium to Delta and United, with their inferior food on a sustainable, long-term basis?  Unlikely.

I completely understand AA is a for profit publicly traded company.  I just don't understand how if this merger is said to "restore AA to being great/best airline in the world" and be about leveraging the best of both carriers we are seeing cutbacks.  AA is and was profitable providing meal service on those flights, I fly paid F and having meal service on the shorter MIA flights makes a difference.  To me this isn't a surprise but still disappointing and just shows how the merger is not in the interest of the public and not good for customers.  USAIR is a joke of an airline and its unfortunate to see this happen to my carrier of choice.

Josh

Is AA going to be able to derive a revenue premium to Delta and United, with their inferior food on a sustainable, long-term basis?  Unlikely.
whose food are you saying is inferior?

you were doing just fine and I agree with you up to that statement.

it doesn't really matter whose food is better if food is not a purchase driver.

The primary factors that drive revenue premiums are service, price, and reliable, attentive service.

WorldTraveler said:
whose food are you saying is inferior?

WT I have to tell you what AA offers is far above and beyond DL for domestic catering let alone international. Again you say that isn't a major differentiator but AA will serve a choice of warm chicken or pasta dish on a flight DL only offers a turkey sandwich and bag of chips for dinner.  I rarely fly UA and from what I have seen recently their offerings are inferior to both AA, DL and possibly even US.

Josh

Since you claim to be so smart and so well off, go fly NetJets or similar company, then you wont have to whine and complain about you not getting a meal on an Airplane, you know AA, DL and all other carriers job is Air Transportation, not The Beard Foundation.

700UW said:
Since you claim to be so smart and so well off, go fly NetJets or similar company, then you wont have to whine and complain about you not getting a meal on an Airplane, you know AA, DL and all other carriers job is Air Transportation, not The Beard Foundation.

Who do you think I am IAMAW President Buffenbarger or someone?

Josh

WT I have to tell you what AA offers is far above and beyond DL for domestic catering let alone international. Again you say that isn't a major differentiator but AA will serve a choice of warm chicken or pasta dish on a flight DL only offers a turkey sandwich and bag of chips for dinner.  I rarely fly UA and from what I have seen recently their offerings are inferior to both AA, DL and possibly even US.

Josh
I'm not doubting what you say nor I am arguing that it is true.

I AM saying, and even folks at AA have said, that food is not a purchase differentiator.

Add in that consolidation was expected to reduce the need for competition on some services and it isn't surprising what is taking place.

There are other factors which are more significant and in those other carriers, including LCCs, have performed better than legacy carriers and other legacy carriers have performed better than AA.

and let's also keep in mind that DL is the dominant carrier in every one of its interior US hubs as is US; AA might well use catering as a differentiator in a much more competitive market like ORD but if they are spending money which doesn't translate into higher revenue, then it is money that can be better spent elsewhere.

the purchase drivers that consumers say matters is a reliable operation and DL and US both have done better than AA or UA at that metric for years; baggage reliability where AA has been mid to lower ranked in the pack of airlines; and customer service resolution - same relative ranking.

AA stands to gain more by improving the reliability of its operation - and I expect Parker will do that - as well as provide more ability for frontline customer service personnel to resolve complaints and problems.

I am sure it comes as a shock to some, but this is a move that AA is making that I believe is right, esp. if the savings are used to increase operational reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back