Changing CATCREW F/A RSV Screen Option #18

songbirdstew

Senior
Sep 10, 2003
I had been hearing a rumor that there will be a change the way RSV option #18 is coded. The MEC has decided to change option #18 Reserve screen so that you no longer will know if a person is on a sick call (SCK), personal day (PER) , had a death in the family (DIF), is on union (AFA) business or anything else. Supposedly there have been complaints from some F/As that it is an invasion of privacy. Instead of these codes, there will be an XXX next to the person's name. My argument against this is that I honestly don't care that you called in sick, if you had a death in your family I am very sorry, and I don't care what you are using your personal day for. However, if I am good for 4 days and you are ahead of me in L.T.O order and all of a sudden you are removed and an XXX is placed by your name, I would like to know at least if there's a chance you will be coming back on duty that night at midnight. I won't be able to gauge by the XXX if you called in sick, did have a DIF or what.

If the MEC goes ahead and does this, the only information on the screen next to each F/As name will be INV, RST, ROC AVL and how many days. I e-mailed MECP M.F.& LECP Mark Gentile in PIT to confirm and they both said that yes, the MEC voted on this and it will happen.

I have been going around and around in e-mails w/ MF on this. I asked him how many people have complained about this and if it was the majority of RSV F/As.
I also wanted to know the number that actually did complain. Is this another case of the MEC doing for a few when the majority has not complained ? Is this a case of people complaining because perhaps they are abusing the system and other F/As are holding them accountable ? I know someone will say that I should mind my own business, but what you do regarding RSV availability when you are ahead of me in L.T.O. order IS my business. I don't want specifics as far as what you do on your SCK or PER days. I just want the information so I just might be able to gauge when you might be on duty so that I can try to live my life to the best of my ability with this horrendous RSV system.

In the near future, option #18 will allow the minimal amount of information to be seen that will allow a reserve to see what going on with those above them in LTO. As a reserve this information is vital! On a daily basis it allows a flight attendant some sense of control over their lives by knowing whose next for calls etc…
If you take that information away from the reserves it defeats two purposes.
First it’s the reserve’s own check and balance. Secondly it allows the reserve to know who will be called first and if they are passed-why.

If it is changed just to reflect XXX then you will have reserves contacting scheduling or the Union to find out why they were not used. I think this is a big mistake and will turn into a big headache for everyone. Not only for RSVs but the amount of phone calls to C/S will increase because this info. is not available.

I'm sure there will be those on this board that disagree w/ me but I honestly have never known a flight attendant to complain about having this information available unless they were trying to hide something.

In his last e-mail to me, M.F. said that this is pretty much a done deal unless enough members contact him and their own LECPs regarding the issue. So, if you agree or disagree please do contact him. I don't think we should just wake up one morning and have the screen changed.

What would also be nice is if you do ROC, it should say what amount of days you are legal for. For example, ROC4, or, in the new system XXX5. Let me know when you will be back from your whatever.

What would also be nice is if you do ROC, it should say what amount of days you are legal for. For example, ROC4, or, in the new system XXX5. Let me know when you will be back from your whatever.

Is there still payment if you catch a trip flown junior? How do you monitor for that?

How can you monitor AFA activity to keep the office holder's accountable?

I agree that maybe some sort of generic code with how many days a RSV is legal would be a better solution.

I had been hearing a rumor that there will be a change the way RSV option #18 is coded. The MEC has decided to change option #18 Reserve screen so that you no longer will know if a person is on a sick call (SCK), personal day (PER) , had a death in the family (DIF), is on union (AFA) business or anything else. Supposedly there have been complaints from some F/As that it is an invasion of privacy. Instead of these codes, there will be an XXX next to the person's name. My argument against this is that I honestly don't care that you called in sick, if you had a death in your family I am very sorry, and I don't care what you are using your personal day for. However, if I am good for 4 days and you are ahead of me in L.T.O order and all of a sudden you are removed and an XXX is placed by your name, I would like to know at least if there's a chance you will be coming back on duty that night at midnight. I won't be able to gauge by the XXX if you called in sick, did have a DIF or what.

If the MEC goes ahead and does this, the only information on the screen next to each F/As name will be INV, RST, ROC AVL and how many days. I e-mailed MECP M.F.& LECP Mark Gentile in PIT to confirm and they both said that yes, the MEC voted on this and it will happen.

I have been going around and around in e-mails w/ MF on this. I asked him how many people have complained about this and if it was the majority of RSV F/As.
I also wanted to know the number that actually did complain. Is this another case of the MEC doing for a few when the majority has not complained ? Is this a case of people complaining because perhaps they are abusing the system and other F/As are holding them accountable ? I know someone will say that I should mind my own business, but what you do regarding RSV availability when you are ahead of me in L.T.O. order IS my business. I don't want specifics as far as what you do on your SCK or PER days. I just want the information so I just might be able to gauge when you might be on duty so that I can try to live my life to the best of my ability with this horrendous RSV system.

In the near future, option #18 will allow the minimal amount of information to be seen that will allow a reserve to see what going on with those above them in LTO. As a reserve this information is vital! On a daily basis it allows a flight attendant some sense of control over their lives by knowing whose next for calls etc…
If you take that information away from the reserves it defeats two purposes.
First it’s the reserve’s own check and balance. Secondly it allows the reserve to know who will be called first and if they are passed-why.
If it is changed just to reflect XXX then you will have reserves contacting scheduling or the Union to find out why they were not used. I think this is a big mistake and will turn into a big headache for everyone. Not only for RSVs but the amount of phone calls to C/S will increase because this info. is not available.
I'm sure there will be those on this board that disagree w/ me but I honestly have never known a flight attendant to complain about having this information available unless they were trying to hide something.
In his last e-mail to me, M.F. said that this is pretty much a done deal unless enough members contact him and their own LECPs regarding the issue. So, if you agree or disagree please do contact him. I don't think we should just wake up one morning and have the screen changed.

I think this a plot from Tempe to see how many people they can piss off. <_<

Let's start with this question. Are other major airlines allowed to see everyone's status on a screen? I don't know I am asking. At my old airline we had no such luxury but you just took what they dished out.
Second, crew scheduling will tell you when you call in and ask someone status in a hissy fit tone that only they can convey "mind your own business" and then you will hear a dial tone.
I like the idea of flygirl74 stating how many days you ROC for. Call the AFA office! They never got passed day one and no one has gotten crap so far. They must be hiding something by trying to XXX out AFA codes and SCK time. On another note, since when do PHL flight attendants care about AFA time? LA for example, you guys set the tone on that and no one cared enough to recall her they just wanted to #### enough to make her leave. Like a bunch of barking Chiwawas. Get some bite or put a sock in it. What a crock! :down:

From what I understand that was suggested (XXX5, etc) but that fell on deaf ears. If this new coding goes into effect there will not be any way to monitor anything and C/S will have a field day.

Songbird,

I am confused. What difference does it make if it says XXX, SCK, DIF, or PER? Even today, if it says SCK/DIF/PER, the only way you can tell if they are available in the future is to go to screen 18 for the next day, right? How would that change if it simply says XXX? Cant you still go to screen 18 for the following day, or is that changing as well?

I think those codes need to stay, that way If I call for a PER day, I know others have also, or that they have been denied. Another thing that should change, is when someone takes a trip and is released, it just shows REL1, not he trip and time it was given. We never know if it was given out, out of senoirity or such.

I agree it should show how many days someone is avv for when they ROC.

Really though I'm hoping we get something better than the green screen 1950s system after we get a new contract. I've only ever worked with CrewTrac aside from Catcrew, CrewTrac was more modern but you seem to be able to get more info on Catcrew. Another good thing about CrewTrac you could access it anywhere, not only by slogging your bag down the crew room stairs or paying $10 a month. Either way it would be nice to see an upgrade to something more user friendly.

I think those codes need to stay, that way If I call for a PER day, I know others have also, or that they have been denied. Another thing that should change, is when someone takes a trip and is released, it just shows REL1, not he trip and time it was given. We never know if it was given out, out of senoirity or such.
Please, I called for a PER 2 weeks ago, and Miss Thang told me that they were only giving out PER days if it was an "emergency." Umm, ok. It's personal, right? In other words, code or no code, they will and do continue to do whatever they want, when they want to. I agree tho, this screen needs to stay to stop at least some of the abuse, but I couldn't care less if it says XXX or PER, etc....

Incidentally, it is probably all the chronic SCK/PER abusers who want the codes hidden. :down: They are the ones that have the most contact with the Union anyway... ;)

"Incidentally, it is probably all the chronic SCK/PER abusers who want the codes hidden. :down: They are the ones that have the most contact with the Union anyway... ;)"

:p :lol: How so sad but true.

"Incidentally, it is probably all the chronic SCK/PER abusers who want the codes hidden. :down: They are the ones that have the most contact with the Union anyway... ;)"

:p :lol: How so sad but true.

I could really care less if someone sees that I have called in SCK or took a PER or even got a NCT. Who cares unless you have something to hide. Sounds like this came as a result of what occured in PHL with regards to their RSV chair. Amazing that the MEC can vote and decide this for us, but can not do anything to help correct the RSV system. No one wants to know why someone is SCK or using a PER just the fact that they are utilizing a PER day. XXX does not help with squat. We get screwed by our own union once again!!!

I could really care less if someone sees that I have called in SCK or took a PER or even got a NCT. Who cares unless you have something to hide. Sounds like this came as a result of what occured in PHL with regards to their RSV chair. Amazing that the MEC can vote and decide this for us, but can not do anything to help correct the RSV system. No one wants to know why someone is SCK or using a PER just the fact that they are utilizing a PER day. XXX does not help with squat. We get screwed by our own union once again!!!
What happened to our RSV Chair?