June Displacements

1) My thinking is, if it is in both contracts, it will be in the new one.

2) If you say so.....

3) Any idea on what the seasonal fluctuation in PHL is? (staffing numbers wise) Aren't we looking at more of the European flying being year round, versus seasonal?

1) My thinking is, if it is in both contracts, it will be in the new one.

2) If you say so.....

3) Any idea on what the seasonal fluctuation in PHL is? (staffing numbers wise) Aren't we looking at more of the European flying being year round, versus seasonal?
1. I agree, but just because it is in the contract, does not mean they are discussing it. I will have to dig out my contract and see what it says. I seem to remember it only discusses Co-terminals on the East, and not satellite bases, but I could be wrong.

2. Just worked a Europe trip with 7 out of 9 FA's from LA/SFO/PHX. I say so with certainty.

3. Supposedly, only ZRH and BRU will stay year round, and all the others seasonals will remain seasonal. With the severe overstaffing we have in PHL in winter, those two trips could easily be staffed with the FA's here now. I would wager a bet that those two trips will not be daily in the winter, either. Oh well, sit back and watch I guess. :blink:

USCREW- PIT has 39 daily flights. LAS has 108.

MarkMyWords- most are going closer to home. Just flew with a PSA girl she said no one in thier right mind would continue to commute six hours to work ten hour flights. They arent doing transatlantic for the prestige, they are doing it because its most commutable.

They will end up displacing more or even recalling if the displacement does happen. People are so over this company that they are just going to quit if they get displaced. Your not safe anywhere and just isnt worth it for $1300 a month. They are about to lose alot of good people.

If I do get displaced, maybe I will move- to another airlines crew base. It would suck to start over, but we have nothing to lose at this point. We make just about new hire pay anywhere else, are only credited for a couple years instead of my whole time... our seniority is nothing, nobody under us, we never fly over guarantee, now they want to boot us into a crash pads New York? No way. Done it too many times... now... it's embarrassing to say where we work... Do we want to be stuck working for a chintzy regional low cost airline and moving every year? Lots of my Mid friends went to other airlinesand are a hundred times happier, said they aren't depressed and stressed out all the time. The few of us that still stayed loyal to US and made a third go of it... well, I guess we're just going to learn the same lesson over and over again. Maybe its time to move on, starting to wish I'd done it years ago.

USCREW- PIT has 39 daily flights. LAS has 108.

MarkMyWords- most are going closer to home. Just flew with a PSA girl she said no one in thier right mind would continue to commute six hours to work ten hour flights. They arent doing transatlantic for the prestige, they are doing it because its most commutable.

They will end up displacing more or even recalling if the displacement does happen. People are so over this company that they are just going to quit if they get displaced. Your not safe anywhere and just isnt worth it for $1300 a month. They are about to lose alot of good people.

If I do get displaced, yes I'll move- to another airlines crew base. It would suck to start over, but I have nothing to lose at this point. I make just about new hire pay anywhere else, am only credited for a couple years instead of my whole time... my seniority is nothing, nobody under me, I never fly over guarantee, now they want to boot me into a crash pad in New York? No way. Done it too many times... now... I'm embarrassed to say where I work... I don't want to be stuck working for a chintzy regional airline and moving every year. Time to move on, wish I'd done it years ago.
Just as an add, most senior Cali people also do Transatlantic because it keeps them legal to fly 3/4/5/6 trips in a row, and then go home for a nice stretch. But no, they are not doing it for the prestige. Most will tell you they never thought they would be commuting across the country 11 years later....

EMB, you would start over? With all due respect, this is no longer the career to get into! Low pay rates, continued instability and uncertainty in the industry as a whole, and let's just say the onboard "experience" is forever changed. To each his own, I s'pose....

I would be interested in hearing what the PHL staffing difference is (or will be) in the fall. I don't think that it will vary as greatly as it has in the past.

I would be interested in hearing what the PHL staffing difference is (or will be) in the fall. I don't think that it will vary as greatly as it has in the past.
Why? In October, GLA, DUB, SNN, LIS, VCE, BCN, FRA (1), ARN, ATH, BRU (maybe), ZRH (maybe), all stop (did i miss any?). Some of the year rounds will probably stop being daily because of painting, Envoy upgrades on the 767, etc.....That is a huge loss of time. Do you know something we do not? :blink:

I do love the job. You have to remember that in nearly ten years of doing this, the most I ever made was 27K. I've never made money, and what I make now is poverty. Actually flying as a new hire at another carrier would be better financially.

The instability etc is nowhere near US Airways levels at other airlines. I've never met anyone at another major who has been laid off and displaced anywhere near what we have, or had to endure bulls##t like working at the airline under a different contract than everyone else, or not getting paid for the time you were there. US is pretty special in that way!

The one good thing about US is they are so disorganized and clueless we never work, which makes it flexible for me to go to school etc. I'll lose that for awhile starting over, but oh well. I don't mean to offend anyone, but who wants to work for a low cost carrier? Flying around disapointed people on dirty airplanes to exciting places like Raliegh and Syracuse. I still enjoy being a F/A, but not a ghetto one!

Why? In October, GLA, DUB, SNN, LIS, VCE, BCN, FRA (1), ARN, ATH, BRU (maybe), ZRH (maybe), all stop (did i miss any?). Some of the year rounds will probably stop being daily because of painting, Envoy upgrades on the 767, etc.....That is a huge loss of time. Do you know something we do not? :blink:

Let's just say that the airplanes have to fly somewhere - we don't park airplanes in Oct. Paint and Envoy Upgrades will not tie up all the airplanes that were flying to Europe.

Let's just say that the airplanes have to fly somewhere - we don't park airplanes in Oct. Paint and Envoy Upgrades will not tie up all the airplanes that were flying to Europe.

Not sure where the airplanes go, Mark, but I can tell you that most of the "time" leaves PHL, that is precisely why '92-'98 seniority gets thrown back on Reserve at the end of the summer season..... A few may planes may stay in PHL to fly Caribbean, but the rest? Your guess is as good as mine....

Don't forget domestic staffing on those planes is less than international staffing.

Not sure where the airplanes go, Mark, but I can tell you that most of the "time" leaves PHL, that is precisely why '92-'98 seniority gets thrown back on Reserve at the end of the summer season..... A few may planes may stay in PHL to fly Caribbean, but the rest? Your guess is as good as mine....
The only thing I can think of is that they are "trying" to get the staffing aligned once and for all and that after the summer season is over there will be some more 190's. No offense to the BOS or LGA crews but maybe they just need to close these bases and consolodate the Shuttle flying to DCA and build up LAS. Pretty much the only mainline flights out of BOS or LGA these days are the shuttle and the flights to the hubs(with some oddball point to point mainline flights here and there). Honestly I hope everyone can hang in there, it really sickens me to see that more good people are leaving and more people off the street will be coming in, it really is not fair at all.

Latest posts