June Displacements

Here is a bit of insight from the West side of this observation.

I think many of you have valid points and suggestions that can help the total operations of this merger.

Having LAS become a bigger base than the satelite base that it currently operates is a good idea. Currently we have about 20 FAs that sit RV, many of them only fly about 40hrs a month because scheduling is afraid to use them just incase they really need them. Many of our redeye flights operate out of LAS. These RVs normally sit HOT/Ready RV nightly, as we know how irregular operations could cause a possible shortage in the LAS operations.

Many of our trips begin with a PHX deadhead up to LAS only to sit for up to 3hrs before we work an East coast trip. Then Deadhead us back to PHX on what is known as the crew hauler. The crew hauler is usually 80% crew, 20% passengers, on a given night. This also creates a shortage of seats for our paying passengers.

It would be cost efficient and better staffing by having LAS as a base. This would allow many of the East FAs who commute from the West coast to be closer to home and have shorter commutes to begin a trip. By allowing this base opening, could assist in keeping the operations running smoother by not having FAs miss their commuting flights causing irregular operations.

By doing so, it could allow for utilizing the crews in all bases more efficiently. Not having to incur additional expenses of hiring off the street to compensate for the shortage.
Overall, it may allow for many FAs to be happier, giving them a positive attitude towards our passengers leaving them with a pleasant flying experience.

First - the positive.

There have been some interesting ideas brought up on this topic "June Displacements". Some of the ideas deserve a closer look. :up:

Now - the negative.

The mindset in Tempe is such that they would never dare to "think outside the box." They're just not that curious. They're more the "retreat and regroup" type of thinkers. I know this from my own experience with them and from what we all have witnessed. :huh:

Also, they could care less about our thoughts on any subject. I'll say it again - they are incompetent, arrogant, aloof, unscrupulous, uncaring and mentally lazy.

You guys are talking about changing LAS from a satellite base with 20 reserves to a full base with 200 of our most senior from the East. Where will the flying hours come from? PHX pairings? That's like a backdoor bump & flush. I can see this happening only if we increase and expand flying from the West. Looks like DP is mainly interested in expansion from PHL--including the China and Japan routes.

Here is a bit of insight from the West side of this observation.

I think many of you have valid points and suggestions that can help the total operations of this merger.

Having LAS become a bigger base than the satelite base that it currently operates is a good idea. Currently we have about 20 FAs that sit RV, many of them only fly about 40hrs a month because scheduling is afraid to use them just incase they really need them. Many of our redeye flights operate out of LAS. These RVs normally sit HOT/Ready RV nightly, as we know how irregular operations could cause a possible shortage in the LAS operations.

Many of our trips begin with a PHX deadhead up to LAS only to sit for up to 3hrs before we work an East coast trip. Then Deadhead us back to PHX on what is known as the crew hauler. The crew hauler is usually 80% crew, 20% passengers, on a given night. This also creates a shortage of seats for our paying passengers.

It would be cost efficient and better staffing by having LAS as a base. This would allow many of the East FAs who commute from the West coast to be closer to home and have shorter commutes to begin a trip. By allowing this base opening, could assist in keeping the operations running smoother by not having FAs miss their commuting flights causing irregular operations.

By doing so, it could allow for utilizing the crews in all bases more efficiently. Not having to incur additional expenses of hiring off the street to compensate for the shortage.
Overall, it may allow for many FAs to be happier, giving them a positive attitude towards our passengers leaving them with a pleasant flying experience.
the sheer number of flights operating out of LAS by both the East and West would JUSTIFY opening a CREW BASE in LAS. There are way too many bases in the EAST and there are several that could be closed. Supposedly there are well over 100 hotel rooms utilized EVERY night in LAS and paying for so many rooms (regardless of unit price) makes little sense for LCC. PIT does NOT need to be a base anymore considering the amount of flying activity and BOS has been an "IFy" base for years....no one really wants to be based up there unless you are Local Talent. The day is long overdue to align the bases with the flying.

The decision to displace rather than recall was based totally upon cost. They did not want to increase the headcount and pay more training, more benefits, etc. However, what they failed to include in their calculation was the intangible cost of bad morale. As if things are not bad enough, now we are going to have people displaced to new bases where they dont want to be. There is a definite cost to poor employee morale. I, for one, will be displaced (and if I dont quit) I will defintely do only what is in my best interest from this point forward. I have had enough. Since 2001 I have been furloughed, then cancelled twice, and then furloughed for three years. Now I have been recalled only to be displaced. It is obvious this company could care less about the impact their decisions have on personal lives.

**Don't forget, we can call out sick 4 times per year for 21 days at a time before your supervisor can request a doctors note. (Of course, read your contract) but that is the way it is. That means you can have 84 sick days a year.**
Hey Informed1,
I agree totally with your sentiment. I am the one who posted that a company's greatest asset is their employees and flight attendants being a front line employee is the direct liaison to the customer, therefore happy flight attendants might insure repeat business, at least it is one factor.
Yet, my history is similar to yours. Since 2000, I have worked 1 year, furloughed for 3 yrs., then called back, worked MDA for 1 1/2 yr, then furloughed again. This furlough is turning the one year mark in a couple weeks. And I understand there was no other solution when you cut your airline in half. But the MDA flying was mainline flying then outsourced to regional. So I am finally getting the message. I have realized that I (we) are not a valued commodity. You see, "if you don't like being displaced, then quit" is their attitude because you can be easily replaced.
Everyone posting on this thread is coming from the world of "how can we work displacements out with minimum hardship to f/a's lives", unfortunately that isn't how management thinks. From their perspective, it's a win-win, 1.)displace 2.)cover the bases 3.)maybe lose some f/a's in the process. 4.) done
And most unfortunately, morale isn't even a consideration.
If I could attend a crew news session, I would raise my hand high and ask DP, "What do you consider your airline's greatest asset?" Please someone ask that question directly to him without him being forewarned...the answer should be right from his heart and from the top of his head, and not the usual spin and rhetoric. No one will argue business is about making money. But in the scheme of making money: Is repeat business important? And how do you get passengers to fly your airline again and again? Ask any question relating to operations and your answer will be PEOPLE!

We are a service industry, we are a people industry. US AIRWAYS people are super. Why would EMBFA try so hard to find a way to make things work for all the people she works with...because she cares! and that's what US AIRWAYS is! People who care and that is one of the first qualities they look for when interviewing a flight attendant...do you care? So is that now lost?
EMBFA's idea is based solely on how can we make this work for the flight attendants. Her goal is very different than management.
I believe PEOPLE can make things happen, they just have to want to.
Good luck with your displacement. I share the grief as I sit on furlough reading continuous and ongoing empty promises of being recalled. First it's June 2006, then August 2006, then November 2006, then after the holidays 2007, then June 2007...see the pattern. Finally I do! And, as I sit on furlough, I see the airline grow, hiring new flight attendants...all protected by "we are two certificates". Wondering what the one certificate will bring??

the sheer number of flights operating out of LAS by both the East and West would JUSTIFY opening a CREW BASE in LAS. There are way too many bases in the EAST and there are several that could be closed. Supposedly there are well over 100 hotel rooms utilized EVERY night in LAS and paying for so many rooms (regardless of unit price) makes little sense for LCC. PIT does NOT need to be a base anymore considering the amount of flying activity and BOS has been an "IFy" base for years....no one really wants to be based up there unless you are Local Talent. The day is long overdue to align the bases with the flying.
How many flights operate out of LAS daily? PIT? BOS?

True, there are lots of LAS flights, but remember, they are now mostly flown by PHX crews, so if a LAS base were created, the PHX base would lose A LOT of flying, and create more reserves, possible displacements, etc....

Every time we closed a base on the East, we would meet with management, and they would tell us it is veeeeery expensive to run a crew base, administrative costs, etc... I am sure that the ~100 rooms we utilize in LAS each night are much cheaper than operating a full fledged base.

Does not matter that no one wants to be based in BOS; it is a focus city that is one of the bases that protects the integrity of the US Shuttle. I don't believe it will be going anywhere anytime soon.

Now, that said, why is the Company not exploring the idea of 'Satellite Bases?' AA and DL are meeting with huge success in this area, and you save the administrative costs as well as some hotel costs. Does anyone know if the Neg. Committee is looking into this? LAS, LAX, FL cities, would all be great possibilities.

Let's start thinkin outside the box!

1) you just can't create a LAS base for East Crews when you don't have the level of EAST FLIGHTS to support the base. East Flight Attendants can not work West Airplanes. Until single contracts are negotiated, this won't work.

2) has anyone asked the west coast commuters if they would be willing to give up their European flying for less commute time? From the people I have talked to, west coast base or not, they will still chose to fly out of PHL for the trips to Europe.

3) the PIT crew base has been overstaffed for to long. something has to be done to reduce headcount there and add headcount where needed in the rest of the system, It doesn't make sense to continue to pay people not to work and the expense of TDY'ing to other bases.

just my opinion

1) you just can't create a LAS base for East Crews when you don't have the level of EAST FLIGHTS to support the base. East Flight Attendants can not work West Airplanes. Until single contracts are negotiated, this won't work.

2) has anyone asked the west coast commuters if they would be willing to give up their European flying for less commute time? From the people I have talked to, west coast base or not, they will still chose to fly out of PHL for the trips to Europe.

3) the PIT crew base has been overstaffed for to long. something has to be done to reduce headcount there and add headcount where needed in the rest of the system, It doesn't make sense to continue to pay people not to work and the expense of TDY'ing to other bases.

just my opinion
1. I get that, in fact I was asking if the negotiating committee is exploring the idea of satellite bases, after the contracts are combined. It's an idea worth exploring....

2. Most of the West Coast FA's I talk to will be going to PHX as fast as possible. There are a few that will probably stick around in PHL (I have found 2), but US would have no trouble staffing a LAS satellite base, trust me. The sad part is a lot of these Cali girls think that PHX will become an option when we combine the certs, which is obviously not true. We are a loooong way away from a combined contract.

3. Agreed, PIT is overstaffed, but the problem the company is creating here is that they are displacing the MOST junior FA's from bases they just were called back to. For instance, the most junior ones tend to live in base, while the more senior ones do not. I realize this is contractual, but in essence, the company will be creating more commuters, more bad morale, and more operational problems in the long run. Not what we need right now. Seems the cost of recalling a few folks to balance the smaller bases would have outweighed the cost of creating sheer havoc in junior people's lives yet again. Just my .02, obviously not worth much.....

1. I get that, in fact I was asking if the negotiating committee is exploring the idea of satellite bases, after the contracts are combined. It's an idea worth exploring....

2. Most of the West Coast FA's I talk to will be going to PHX as fast as possible. There are a few that will probably stick around in PHL (I have found 2), but US would have no trouble staffing a LAS satellite base, trust me. The sad part is a lot of these Cali girls think that PHX will become an option when we combine the certs, which is obviously not true. We are a loooong way away from a combined contract.

3. Agreed, PIT is overstaffed, but the problem the company is creating here is that they are displacing the MOST junior FA's from bases they just were called back to. For instance, the most junior ones tend to live in base, while the more senior ones do not. I realize this is contractual, but in essence, the company will be creating more commuters, more bad morale, and more operational problems in the long run. Not what we need right now. Seems the cost of recalling a few folks to balance the smaller bases would have outweighed the cost of creating sheer havoc in junior people's lives yet again. Just my .02, obviously not worth much.....

Also our LAS reserves might fly 40hrs a month and receive 70hrs a month. Also our PHX reserves fly 45-55 hours a month and receive 70hrs. We on the west are feel the same pain that our co-workers/bro's/sisters reserves feel - NO FLYING over our Guart. ITs nutz... And we are hiring more. I really dont get it?

1) Don't both contracts contain language for satellite crew bases?

2) Guess it is who you talk to as to their preference.

3) You are looking at this from the prospective of being the junior employee in a base like PHL. Imagine you were the "junior" employee in PIT with 20+ years - you should have the option of going to a base that your seniority can hold, not just where the openings are. I am sure these 20+ year F/A's would prefer to commute to a base like PHL then to BOS which is a harder base to commute to. Seniority has it's privileges and that is the contract you negotiated, approved and signed.

1) Don't both contracts contain language for satellite crew bases?

2) Guess it is who you talk to as to their preference.

3) You are looking at this from the prospective of being the junior employee in a base like PHL. Imagine you were the "junior" employee in PIT with 20+ years - you should have the option of going to a base that your seniority can hold, not just where the openings are. I am sure these 20+ year F/A's would prefer to commute to a base like PHL then to BOS which is a harder base to commute to. Seniority has it's privileges and that is the contract you negotiated, approved and signed.
1. What difference does that make if they are not negotiating the item? I was simply asking if the Neg Committee is pursuing this avenue.

2. Correct, however most are going West.

3. Again, you miss my point. I realize that seniority has its privileges, and I am not advocating giving more to the junior as opposed to the senior. I am simply saying this could end up costing the Company more money in the long run, rather than recalling, at a time when US is rock bottom in terms of everything from On time to employee morale. Further, what problems will this create when the Seasonal flying ends in PHL in October? Has that been addressed? Why not displace from PIT and CLT seasonally? If they sit around in PIT all year and not fly, come October you will have the same amount sitting around in PHL instead of PIT, so what is the difference? Just thinking out loud....

Latest posts