Comair crew bases?

spinproof

Sep 5, 2002
[P]I know there are plans for a new crew base at DFW, but heard rumour that there are two more planned. Does anyone want to venture as to where these might be?[/P]
[P]LGA? LAX? SLC?.......[/P]
[P]Spin[/P]

[P]I heard DFW in 2003.....maybe picking up LGA in '03 too....they are supposed to be picking up a lot of ACA flights out of there. There are rumors of Comair doing proving runs out of SLC......Delta is rumored not to be happy with Skywest?, but who knows. Also, I heard the pilots and F/As are super pissed about loosing MCO and are trying to get mgmt to reinstate the base. Hope this help![/P]

[P]Thanks Wanna! Try Chautauqua they're taking over the Florida MCO flights from Comair.[/P]
[P]Spin[/P]

WannaBe-

Why is Delta so unhappy with Skywest? They have the highest on-time Departure/Arrival times and a very high completion factor.

[P]I heard that Delta wants to grow their wholly owned (Comair and ASA) plus, the Comair and ASA crew are really pissed about Skywest getting their flying but not getting the same access in SLC. While I don't know if DL will completely drop Skywest....expect to see ASA and Comair on the West Coast in the coming year![/P]

ACA is being completely removed from LGA and Comair will take over, so LGA is a possibility.

DFW is almost guaranteed to happen.

There are rumors about Comair being sent to LAX. DL would like to use its own metal instead of the present AE codeshare.

MCO is just too low yield to have Comair serve it. Plus, DL wanted a smaller RJ for the thinner routes (ERJ 135) out of MCO and it isn't practical for Comair to pick up another RJ type.

Would'nt a CRJ be a little bit too big to replace those AE flights out of LAX? If I remember they go to places like SAN,MRY,SBA....or would they be thinking about starting longer haul stuff? In any case I'm not complaining....I would love to see Comair go West. I could have sworn I've seen their planes in LAS. BTW, are they completely getting rid of ACA or just kicking them out of LGA?

Then why not use the Comair CRJ with 40 or 44 seats in MCO? The Chit thing isn't going to work out in MCO, they can't get financing to buy the aircraft needed. DCI originally offered MCO to ASA, and ASA will be taking over MCO in the near future. You are more likely to see ASA than Comair in the West. You are more likely to see Comair grow in the East.

DAL makes more money when they use ASA and Comair. You cannot compair Skywest's ontime performance to ASA or Comair because they don't operate out of the same busy airports that we do. If they operated out of ATL, LGA, JFK, DCA, BOS, etc on a regular basis, then their on-time performance would be #$*^, just like ours.

[BR]I know this is overly simplistic but why not just merge ASA and Comair....get rid of ACA,SKWY,and CHQ, have the new airline fly under the name Delta Connection....kinda like what CO did with COEX....and dare I say,create a flow thru agreement?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/8/2002 12:06:20 AM wannabe CRJ driver wrote:

I know this is overly simplistic but why not just merge ASA and Comair....get rid of ACA,SKWY,and CHQ, have the new airline fly under the name Delta Connection....kinda like what CO did with COEX....and dare I say,create a flow thru agreement?
----------------
[/blockquote]

DL is not getting rid of ACA...just moving them out of LGA. If you look at the Nov. schedules, you'll see ACA picking up tons of flying out of CVG. I don't expect anymore growth on the ACA side though as DL has all 33 planes up and running now and isn't likely to pick up anymore.

The reason DAL won't merge ASA and Comair is so that they can play each one against the other. DAL is working to overlap the two so that there isn't a replay of the Comair mess. A flow through agreement isn't going to happen either.

RJStud, any idea what is going on with CHQ? I haven't followed them that close, but there does seem to a delay. You mentioned financing, but it seems hard to believe that CHQ can't get financing for RJ's.

The last I heard about Chit (in the crew lounge, so it might not true) is that they cannot get anybody to finance the purchase of the ERJs for MCO operations. It seem surprising, but DAL has had some financing problems with ASA and Comair aircraft lately. I don't know why. DAL usually buys the aircraft a at big discount, sells it to a trust at a profit, then leases it back from the trust. The trusts then sell bonds secured by the aircraft. Maybe nobody is buying these bonds any more. If the airline fails, and the lease is broken (look at USAir), then the bond is worthless.

[< I know this is overly simplistic but why not just merge ASA and Comair....get rid of ACA,SKWY,and CHQ, have the new airline fly under the name Delta Connection....kinda like what CO did with COEX....and dare I say,create a flow thru agreement? ]>

DAL has no intention of giving the WOs this much leverage. WOs and contract mix allows DAL to stiff-arm the WO employees by threatening to give additional flying to others. It's called 'whipsawing.'

Chautauqua has the first four jets financed now, two for Nov delivery and two in Dec. As for the 18 coming next year, arrangements aren't required until the end of December. We have historically acquired our jets thru Solitair Kapital AB, a European finance company owned by our parent company. How they arrange the financing is a mystery though, some planes are registered to banks while others are registered to our corporate office. A few have been short-term financed straight from EMBRAER while other notes were arranged. I know it's a bit short-sighted, but as long as the planes show up on schedule, we line pilots don't too much care how the company paid for them. We are a stable company with assured income, and therefore a pretty good credit risk. That's about all I know that can be publicly disclosed, hope it helps..CT..