Hints Of Things To Come

Etops1 I really don't know who you think you are are even who you are, I really don't care. It seems to me that you have no idea what you are even talking about regarding my post. Did I know what I was signing??? We signed alot of things that made no sense to any of us at the time, we just felt lucky and fortunate that USAirways wanted to hire us. It was a dream job come true. You have no idea where I have come from and what my personal situation was at the time, so how dare you insinuate that I didn't know what I was "signing. It wasn't until we graduated from"Boot Camp" did any of realize anything about scheduling, duty days, paring rigs, duty rigs, vacation, training, etc, etc. The list goes on. We all were kind of like "Babes in the Woods". We wanted a job in the airling industry, we felt lucky and valued. And we were and are willing to to do whatever it takes to remain in this industry. Yes, I have relocated several times. I have no idea until (manybe) a week prior to the next month what my schedule will be. I have no idea where I will be at any given time. Was I complaining???NOT! So get over yourself. And by the way.....I love you too. <_<

Bear96 said:
TomBascom said:
Funny thing about that -- I pay for the privilege of being away from home 4 or 5 or 6 days out of 7. Almost every week of the year. For year after year after year.
Sounds like you are pretty miserable. I'd advise you to quit.

Me, I don't mind the travel that comes with my job-- in fact I quite enjoy it.
Heck, I'm not miserable. I'm ok with it. I even enjoy it (most of the time anyway...) I just don't get how someone can think that just because they work for an airline they're somehow unique in having to deal with the hassles of travel and being away from home and family a lot. If it causes someone problems and stress then they really ought to find a different job.

TomBascom said:
Sounds like you are pretty miserable. I'd advise you to quit.

Me, I don't mind the travel that comes with my job-- in fact I quite enjoy it.

Heck, I'm not miserable. I'm ok with it. I even enjoy it (most of the time anyway...) I just don't get how someone can think that just because they work for an airline they're somehow unique in having to deal with the hassles of travel and being away from home and family a lot. If it causes someone problems and stress then they really ought to find a different job.
Well I can't speak for others. I am just commenting on YOUR postings.

It seems like whenever someone in the airline industry posts the slightest indication that they have had a legitimate issue with the travel that is an inherent part of their work, you are immediately on here posting about how "You think YOU have it bad... you should see how bad ***I*** have it" (as if anyone cares), like some sort of poor martyr.

It comes across as this: "You think YOU have it bad walking to school in the snow... when ***I*** was your age, we had eight feet of snow on the ground we had to trudge through to get to school, year round. And WE had to walk five times as far as you did. AND it was uphill-- BOTH WAYS!"

And you don't seem to hesitate one millisecond to recommend that if someone doesn't like it, maybe their job isn't a good match for them.

And you seem to be insanely jealous that other people (i.e., airline employees) have negotiated (through their evil unions) certain protections that come into play should their employer take advantage of their desire to be employed and abuse them while they are on the road.

All of which seems to indicate to me that you are some poor schlub who is trapped in a job where much travel is required; you hate to travel; you are jealous of others who have the benefits of a collective bargaining agreement to protect them from the excessive greed of their employer; and how DARE anyone voice any type of dissent or try to improve things at their workplace-- we should be thankful just to have a job.

I agree with this part of your post though:

<If [travel] causes someone problems and stress then they really ought to find a different job.>

From this neutral oberver's perch, travel seems to cause you problems and stress.

So I guess you ought to find a different job.

ktflyhome said:
Etops1 I really don't know who you think you are are even who you are, I really don't care. It seems to me that you have no idea what you are even talking about regarding my post. Did I know what I was signing??? We signed alot of things that made no sense to any of us at the time, we just felt lucky and fortunate that USAirways wanted to hire us. It was a dream job come true. You have no idea where I have come from and what my personal situation was at the time, so how dare you insinuate that I didn't know what I was "signing. It wasn't until we graduated from"Boot Camp" did any of realize anything about scheduling, duty days, paring rigs, duty rigs, vacation, training, etc, etc. The list goes on. We all were kind of like "Babes in the Woods". We wanted a job in the airling industry, we felt lucky and valued. And we were and are willing to to do whatever it takes to remain in this industry. Yes, I have relocated several times. I have no idea until (manybe) a week prior to the next month what my schedule will be. I have no idea where I will be at any given time. Was I complaining???NOT! So get over yourself. And by the way.....I love you too. <_<
what ever dude , quit your b--ching, don't like it? don't let the door hit you on the way out. see ya :rolleyes: oh, and . love ya back ;)

HAMMERHEAD,

F.Y.I. Considering cuts in wages, decreased pay for vacation, higher premiums for benefits, and commuter costs the majority of employees for this airine work well over scheduled work hours. We aren't demanding more days off we're demanding better managerial skills. I can't talk for pilots,F/As, mechanics, or anyone else but myself and the inefficient scheduling that takes place. I am a CS agent and consistently question what management was thinking every time a new bid comes out. Not to mention the software we use is useless half the time and takes away from calls handled per hour; thus, revenue per hour. In most areas we are understaffed and mismanaged. We don't want less work for more money. We want a viable, competitive company that is capable of using their work force as efficiently as possible instead of shuffling us around like a game piece on a chess board and hoping for the best.

TomBascom said:
flyin2low said:
"Those whom endure this situation have my respect beyond belief , this not only disrupts the family life...it creates an incredible burden by attempting to finance a duallity of life and keeping the home fires burning sorta speak. I'm sure many relationships have become victims to this as well. "

Yeah, crew members have it made. Go on 4 day trips and have to non-rev to work and back on a day off.
Gee, that sounds almost exactly like what we, your customers, are doing on your planes week after week after week...
TomBascom,

Sarcastic? Here's some food for thought. If you're a business man who works for a decent company, your company pays for airfare, hotels, cars, and you are based from your home town. These posters and those mentioned deserve respect. They pay additional housing costs, drive home if necessary, and are based in a town other than the one they live in. They go home when they can - end of discussion. GIVE RESPECT WHERE RESPECT IS DUE. If, for some reason, you feel deprived of your family life, as these posters do, then you of all people should give homage to people in the same situation regardless of whether you're a customer or not.

youngblood said:
TomBascom said:
flyin2low said:
"Those whom endure this situation have my respect beyond belief , this not only disrupts the family life...it creates an incredible burden by attempting to finance a duallity of life and keeping the home fires burning sorta speak. I'm sure many relationships have become victims to this as well. "

Yeah, crew members have it made. Go on 4 day trips and have to non-rev to work and back on a day off.
Gee, that sounds almost exactly like what we, your customers, are doing on your planes week after week after week...
TomBascom,

Sarcastic? Here's some food for thought. If you're a business man who works for a decent company, your company pays for airfare, hotels, cars, and you are based from your home town. These posters and those mentioned deserve respect. They pay additional housing costs, drive home if necessary, and are based in a town other than the one they live in. They go home when they can - end of discussion. GIVE RESPECT WHERE RESPECT IS DUE. If, for some reason, you feel deprived of your family life, as these posters do, then you of all people should give homage to people in the same situation regardless of whether you're a customer or not.
You guys are something.

Get over it, there's nothing unique about commuting, working for an airline or being screwed by your company or your union or having the misfortune to work for a company that is in dire straits. Half or more of the people on your planes are probably in the same situation to one degree or another. Some have it worse than you can imagine.

Me personally? Nope, not these days. All of the above has happened in the past and I've moved on.

Respect? Not just because you commute to work or happen to work for an airline. I certainly have respect for people who are in a bad situation and who are making the most of it. And I have lots of respect for people who simply go about their business and do a good job. Plenty of you deserve respect for that and you have mine.

I've got *sympathy* for those who commute and don't like it and for those of you who are suffering from the companies situation. I know what that's like.

The most useful thing that I can do for you is to continue to fly your airline. I can also try to understand what makes it tick and offer suggestions from a customers POV that might lead more people like me (just what you need eh?) to buy tickets. That understanding isn't going to be gained by being a wallflower.

And I can hope that a little outside thinking might help some of you to see that the various little martinets posing as emperors are standing around in their skivvies. And maybe you'll relax and be better off for that.

Do I pop up *every* time someone raises a hot button as Bear96 alleges? Nope, my tongue is pretty much chewed to a stub from staying out of quite a few things that I could have spent hours posting about :rolleyes: I've got real work to do too you know...

Constructive input is more than welcome even when it's not something with which I agree. I saw no point in your post and certainly took it as a jab at the posters. Perhaps, posting in a similar manor as your most recent would have gained you some ears willing to listen.

As for my personal situation - it goes beyond USAirways. Rarely do I complain about it and most of the time time suck it up. I have been in many situations where the decision to eat out weighs payng the bills ( BEFORE AND DURING MY EMLOYMENT WITH USAIRways). My problems encompass much more than finance. Some of which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Respect isn't demanded because of someone's occupation. It is for the weight of the world they carry on their shoulders day to day and manage to trudge on regardless. You say you have been there. I am sure you have complained about some of the situations you were in - just as human nature dictates. If not, the you must be a saint.

The subject was approached and some shared their woes. You felt the need to dismiss them with a flippant remark. Sometimes just going about your business and doing a good job is not enough. Sometimes you need to bark back at the world - let it out - so you can continue to do a good job. Would you rather we do that here or on the job?

Ok, I'll take the hit for being overly sarcastic. And you're certainly right that I'm no saint. Sorry about that.

Now, back to the topic at hand... like it or not changes are coming. It might be helpful to recognize that many of those changes are likely to result in changes in ones personal situation. Changes that many other, non-airline people, who probably happen to be sitting in your planes have had to cope with or are learning to cope with. That's a resource that is readily available to you at no charge. Strike up a conversation and see where it leads...

Tom, you consistenly have the theme that "others have it worse than airline employees so stop whining."

I agree sometimes airline employees (especially those that frequent internet discussion boards) spend an inordinate amount of time and energy whining about things (some trivial, some not). And I agree, changes "are coming," as you put it, in the airline world, though most of my colleagues who work at airlines will tell you many of those changes are already here (but we agree that, especially at U, things are likely to get even worse before they get better). And, I agree that many airline employees are not quite looking at their situation realisitically based on what is happening in the industry today.

But what puzzles me is why it bothers you so much to see people trying to hold on to what they have had for years when it is being ripped away from them. Isn't this human nature?

People here are trying to fight for a decent quality of work life and to keep what they have. Why is that so bad? Isn't that what we ALL want, inside and outside the airline industry?

Yes maybe you or others have it worse than airline employees in some ways. But where is the bottom for you? Should we be happy with the lowest common denominator? Should that be the goal? Once evey employee is paid the same and has the same health and pension benefits as a WalMart greeter, will you be happy?

Then of course management's attention will turn overseas and to the work standards in more "management-friendly" countries. Then will you be here posting, "Hey, the peasants in China have it worse, so stopyerbitchin."

Do you not realize that a group of workers struggling for what is right ultimately benefits ALL workers, directly or indirectly?

Youngblood and Bear96 -- extremely mannered and well spoken posts.

Latest posts