Hints Of Things To Come

"Those whom endure this situation have my respect beyond belief , this not only disrupts the family life...it creates an incredible burden by attempting to finance a duallity of life and keeping the home fires burning sorta speak. I'm sure many relationships have become victims to this as well. "

Yeah, crew members have it made. Go on 4 day trips and have to non-rev to work and back on a day off.

once again i see groups attacking one another. its not the cost structure that is hurting UAIR it is the Revenue structure. Come up with more ways to increase your revenue (butts in seats theory) and you wont have to cut any more jobs, pensions,wages ect...

lead, follow or get out of the way.

javaboy said:
once again i see groups attacking one another. its not the cost structure that is hurting UAIR it is the Revenue structure. Come up with more ways to increase your revenue (butts in seats theory) and you wont have to cut any more jobs, pensions,wages ect...

lead, follow or get out of the way.
Free beer! That would beat the heck out of WN and any body else. We could steal the the Grey Hound/WWF crowd right out from under them! Beautiful eah. :up:

Attachments

• beer_captured.jpeg
    beer_captured.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 178
ktflyhome said:
I"m sorry, but I don't feel anyone in this business is Overpaid
. As Flight Crews, we are gone from Base (4-day trip) an average of 75 hrs. This is called "Time Away From Base"...TAFB. Most of our 4-day trips average 21 hours pay anymore. That is an average of 5 Hours flight time. But....we in a sense owned by the company for that 75 hours...they can do and do do what they want with us if irregular ops should arise. Of that 5 hours "Flight time a day" we can be "on duty" anywhere from 8-14 hours, til we get our overnight to rest. We do not get paid for ground time, boarding, deplaning. So in actuality, we have a duty period say of 10 hours but get paid for 5. If we have a vacation day....we get paid 3:09 for a day. Not 8 hours. If we have training(mandatory) we get paid 3:30 not 8 hours of which the training day consists of. So break it all down. We get paid half the time we are actually on duty. I'd like to tell the folks who work a typical 8 hour a day job, 5 days a week, how would they like to work 8 and get paid for 4!!!????

Not to say the least, we are away from home, friends, family and eating out all the time with what grub we can find.

Furthermore, as Reserves go, we are on duty for the Company 21 days a month. that in "Real People Time" is more. Most average folks work 5 days a week in a one month basis which is 20 days a month. : <_<
:huh: when you got hired wasn't one of the questions on your app . are you willing to relocate? also another question was are you flexible? you know what the job came with when you applied. :huh: seems to me you did not read the fine print before you accepted employment. this goes with any airline not just u. i guess you loved people and loved to fly.

flyin2low said:
"Those whom endure this situation have my respect beyond belief , this not only disrupts the family life...it creates an incredible burden by attempting to finance a duallity of life and keeping the home fires burning sorta speak. I'm sure many relationships have become victims to this as well. "

Yeah, crew members have it made. Go on 4 day trips and have to non-rev to work and back on a day off.
Gee, that sounds almost exactly like what we, your customers, are doing on your planes week after week after week...

Having worked on both sides of the windshield, trying to explain the rigors of being a flight crew (pilot or Flight attendant) and how your life is affected is impossible unless you've lived it.
End of discussion.

TomBascom said:

Gee, that sounds almost exactly like what we, your customers, are doing on your planes week after week after week...
Gee, you non-rev too?

Bear96 said:
TomBascom said:

Gee, you non-rev too?
Funny thing about that -- I pay for the privilege of being away from home 4 or 5 or 6 days out of 7. Almost every week of the year. For year after year after year.

The point being that flight crews aren't the only people who spend a lot of time away from home. There's no special entitlement for people who choose to work in jobs that involve travel (if there is please send me some info on how to get mine...)

To elaborate a bit... I've worked with people who whined and complained about all the travel. And I've worked with people who don't. Moving on is healthy -- if you don't like it make a change. But it goes with the territory in some jobs and it sounds pretty silly to complain about it. You have choices just like I do -- if you don't want to be commuting move. You have your reasons why you don't want to do that? Me too.

etops 1!!! I think you should go back and read my post. It said Nothing of relocating. It said nothing of flexibility. It was an attempt to explain how Flight Crews are paid withing trips, TAFB, vacations and training. And Yes I do love to Fly and Yes I do love people. <_<

TomBascom said:
Bear96 said:
TomBascom said:
Gee, you non-rev too?
Funny thing about that -- I pay for the privilege of being away from home 4 or 5 or 6 days out of 7. Almost every week of the year. For year after year after year.
Ditto. I'm gone from home 18-20 nights/month (and go to bed early to catch an early flight 4 nights/month and get home late 4 nights/month). So with the exception of Saturday nights, pretty much every other night of the week is in some way involved with being away from home or in the process of being away from home. I don't mind it whatsoever, but more than just airline folk are away from home quite a bit for their jobs.

TomBascom said:
Gee, you non-rev too? [/QUOTE]

The point being that flight crews aren't the only people who spend a lot of time away from home. There's no special entitlement for people who choose to work in jobs that involve travel (if there is please send me some info on how to get mine...)

To elaborate a bit... I've worked with people who whined and complained about all the travel. And I've worked with people who don't. Moving on is healthy -- if you don't like it make a change. But it goes with the territory in some jobs and it sounds pretty silly to complain about it. You have choices just like I do -- if you don't want to be commuting move. You have your reasons why you don't want to do that? Me too. [/quote]
I may be out of sync with this thread but I'm trying to figure out each point of view and I think each point of view is valid.

You as the customer - business owner, salesman, consultant or etc. knew what you were getting into when the job description called for travel as part of the job. You're committed to travel around the country not for pleasure but for business purposes. Your versatility, enjoyment or tolerance for the necessity of Travel has brought rewarding gains to the Company you own or the Company you represent.

Your spend your time productively while remotely out of town. You bring credit to your Company and the executives who are your superiors, as you realize the satisfaction of giving your best effort in doing your part in achieving Corporate Goals and Objectives. Your time alone, away from you family, in a Hotel Room, preparing for a presentation, or with a Client at dinner, or standing at a podium, or sitting in a waiting room for an eternity before finally being admitted to the inner sanctum of a potential clients office --- All these things have a purpose. You have a purpose. Your are productive. Your productivity will be recognized by your Corporation. If it’s your Business, your productive efforts will be recognized in your bottom line – If not, you wouldn’t be there on the road, in the first place.

You as a Rated Flight Officer – You’re committed to travel around the country not for pleasure but for business purposes. You knew the nature of the job when you filled out the application. Your special versatility, enjoyment or tolerance for the lifestyle which goes with the profession ultimately has a purpose to it. You’re a part of a team which has it’s special rewards. You strive to bring credit to your Airline by surpassing rigid requirements and qualifications of aptitude, skill, health and a special dedication to the care, comfort and service of your clients who are your traveling public.

You as the Customer – Arrive home with the satisfaction and knowledge that your sojourn was profitable, productive and rewarding. Your love or dedication to the lifestyle which you have chosen will additionally bear reward by deserved recognition from your superiors, stockholders, clients or business partners. This is not a special recognition for pleasure travel as your profession. This is worthy recognition for your productivity, hard work and the contributions you bring to the company as a direct result of you travels. Your special lifestyle is satisfying for it’s purposefulness and for the special appreciation by those who matter most in your personal and professional life.

You as the Fight Officer – are employed by a Nationally recognized Air Carrier. Your employer is often nationally recognized as a leader in the Industry as one of the best places to work. Your CEO establishes clear goals and objectives for you and your team of professionals. Your company is growing and prospering. Your Executive Leadership has given you a Business Model which allows you the tools you need to be productive. You spend the vast majority of time each month away from your home and family. You are rewarded with the sense that you are wholly essential and productive on the job. As a small part of a large well oiled machine, you are given the valuable tools you need for a rewarding career. Your company has solid Management and you have a good product. You time is spent productively and efficiently generating maximum wealth for your employer. You enjoy the deserved rewards and recognition bestowed on you and your fellow team of professional. You are recognized by your employer and superiors as the organizations most valuable asset. You look forward each week to the enrichment of a Corporate Culture which makes work as pleasurable as Play.

You as the Customer – You’ve dedicated 20 years of your life to your company. It has become as much a part of you as you are a part of it. You’ve attained a career’s worth of job progressions – promotions, advancements, raises, benefits and have just begun to capitalize on the most personally productive years of your life in terms of obtaining a certain well deserved security and comfort in your post retirement years for you and loved ones. Your Corporation has the misfortune of inheriting a leadership without vision. You Company fails to adapt to a changing market. You travel about trying to promote and sell your product. The product has not quite kept pace with the changing demands of consumers. Management, Marketing and R&D can’t seem to give you the tools you need to be successful. Your Plant employees are some of the lowest paid in the industry but your manufacturing costs are high due to a Business Model which has failed to evolve resulting in low productivity and inefficiency. The Marketing and Sales Department sends you out on these business trips with few leads and few clients to call upon. Your Company is in the press nearly every day, reported as miserably lagging the industry. Your time spent away form home and family is unproductive and unrewarding. Your employer or your supervisor points the accusing finger at you for the lack of value you bring to the company because of your lack of productivity while away from home. You are given a cut in pay. You are given another cut in pay. You lose your pension. You’re given another cut in pay. Your told to spend more time on the road to make up for your inefficiency. But you still spend hours and sometimes days sitting in a Motel Room without the tools to effectively do your job productively. You watch the productive sales force of your competitors described in paragraph one and two above. You know your Company has the same market, the same machinery and the same people skills – But your company lacks the same visionary management. You want to be more productive but it’s not the function of a Traveling Sales Representative to change the Business Model. You lament the value of your time is wasted on the road. You contemplate a career change, but the risk/reward ratio is high at your stage of life. A lateral move in your industry is impossible due to the specialized nature of your job. So you sit tight and wait for current or new Management to acquire some vision for the future of your company before the doors close permanently. In the mean time you spend 36hours in a Hotel, lamenting the unproductive waste of the special skills you possess. You come home expressing dissatisfaction that the time you spend away form home and family has not enriched your professional or personal being. Someone quips, “Didn’t you read the fine print in you application about...â€

You’re a Flight Officer – See the above paragraph.

The point... No One often laments the precious few minutes they have on this planet when their lives are full, productive and enriched. USAirways has been home to the dedicated Employees for nearly a lifetime of commitment. On the other hand the Employees have seen a revolving door of transient Senior Executives who have done well under the colorful canopy of a full and rewarding parachute -- But have brought little vision to the future of the Company. The empoloyees are personally and professionally committed to stay and fight. Management, in it's short tenure, has expressed no passion for a legacy which is a home to so many and a part of the communities of hundreds of thousands.

The employees realize that it is you, the Customer, who is the most valued. They want to give you the product which best fits your needs. You deserve efficient, safe, comfortable, convenient service for the premium you pay. The employees aspire to be once again included in the cadre of industry professionals who feel their time away from home has productively enriched their professional careers and personal lives.

Yah, a lot of sales types, and middle managers at companies do a LOT of short-hop flying and a lot of staying at average to decent hotels.

Most of my trips are long haul trips that last 7 to 14 days in duration. London and Asia were my last two and they were quite taxing given the fact that I was pushing up against the Christmas holiday.

TomBascom said:
Sounds like you are pretty miserable. I'd advise you to quit.

Me, I don't mind the travel that comes with my job-- in fact I quite enjoy it.

ktflyhome said:
etops 1!!! I think you should go back and read my post. It said Nothing of relocating. It said nothing of flexibility. It was an attempt to explain how Flight Crews are paid withing trips, TAFB, vacations and training. And Yes I do love to Fly and Yes I do love people. <_<
well it just sounded like you were groaning about the things you have to endure cause your a crewmember. i just wanted to rmind you that all of htis was presented to you before you accepted employment as an airline employee. just thought you might have forgot. ;) i love peolpe too. i love you :D

Latest posts