Hints Of Things To Come

Traveler,
Thank you. I can definitely return the compliment. Posts like yours usually compell me to look outside the box.

Tom,

I understand change is inevitable. Life is in a continuous motion and in order to survive you must adapt. I don't deny this; thus, I have managed to play the cards life has dealt me so far. I view my particular situation less cumbersome simply because I don't have 20 plus years invested in the company. I am young enough to complete a Masters and start a new career, yet there are many others who are facing a frightening future. One that may involve starting over again after serving a lifetime as dedicated employees. They have given sweat, blood, and tears throughout many ups and downs. I sympathize and certainly do not deny them their right to scream a little.

I have spoken to thousands of passengers, have heard their stories, have graciously accepted their points of view, and at times shared their pain. This is my job. It's what I do and I do it very well. I think you may be surprised at just how many airline employees do the same. Of course there are always exceptions. The point here is that the employees of UAir gave management the tools to succeed and have yet to see them used constructively. Yes, they complain because they have every right to do so. Most feel defeated or depleted and have gotten to the point where enough is enough. The success of the company no longer rests on our shoulders, but those sitting in Corporate throwing away the money we gave.

P.S. Your regrets are accepted. My hair just spikes when I detect sarcasm.

The point isn't that others have it worse so you should shut up and stop complaining. The point is that your situation is not unique and that looking at how others get through these things might be helpful.

("You" being a generic sort of "you"...)

The problem with fighting to hold on to what you have is that IMHO this is a case where it isn't going to work. You'd be much better off finding a new arrangement that improves your situation rather than holding on to an old one that can only get worse. That may mean going outside of the airline industry but it could also mean finding new and creative ways to get people from here to there -- and new ways to look at your relationship with your employer. The old jobs and the old ways of working are going away. Holding on to the past is only going to make it hurt worse.

Change is hard. But it's inevitable.

And, of course, I'm much better off if you do that too because, in my view, that's the only way that the airline survives.

TomBascom said:
The problem with fighting to hold on to what you have is that IMHO this is a case where it isn't going to work.
Unfortunately, I am inclined to agree with you there.

Sorry the employees have given 20,000 jobs, $1.1 Billion in concessions and the vendors have given another $1 billion, Dave is the problem not the labor aspects.

Time to outsource Dave!

Latest posts