Company seeks Base ownership change

U

UAL_TECH

This certainly leaves little doubt... :down:

MRO Project Update - AMFA 9

By Joseph Prisco, Local 9 President, and Malik Miah, Local 9 UAL Airline Representative
September 30, 2007
On September 28, UAL ACAC JJ Johns and Region One Director Louie Key along with AMFA leaders from Locals 4, 8, 9, 14 and 39; attended a meeting with UAL senior management to hear a report-back from the Board of Directors (BOD) meeting held earlier in the week in San Francisco.

And this is the 'PLAN':

The BOD received reports on UAL operations, finance, employee experience and the MRO Project. The Union leadership heard a summary of those presentations. Company presenters included: Chief Operating Officer Pete McDonald, Senior Vice President—Human Resources Jane Allen, Senior Vice President —Corporate Planning & Strategy Greg Taylor and Senior Vice President — United Services Bill Norman.

While the general state of UAL reports was of some interest, the Company perspective for the maintenance division was our main concern. With abundant rumors passing on the floor, we needed to hear from senior management what the “plan†is, and when it expects to implement the change of direction.

In a previous meeting with the Union a month ago, the Company listed several options for United Services. The main option has now been selected. Norman and McDonald stated with no hesitation that the Company’s plan for the division, known as the “MRO Project,†is to spin off the division, if possible. A joint venture, where UAL still owns the division, would be a “fall back†position said McDonald.

What is the bottom line? The first choice of senior management, Norman told the BOD, is to find an outside investor to takeover the Maintenance Base—engines, airframe and components. Line Maintenance, including SAMC functions, flight simulator technicians and Airport Operations mechanics (GQ and PV), would stay with UAL. The ideal outcome, in their view, is to get a long-term contract for current United maintenance work, with the Company keeping a minority stake in the “New Company (NewCo).â€

Nice to see we have come full-circle to the 1994 Wolfe plan of a sell off.

Take Care,
B) UAL_TECH (NewCo_Tech? :p )

I like this part, "The contract is our best leverage with the Company and/or outside MRO providers or financial investors. Neither party wants to wait for the date that the current contract is amendable—December 31, 2009. Two years plus is a long time for the marketplace". I believe the company will get the 51% vote for the MRO's to move in by targetting specific groups for yes votes , mechanics at retirement age....... I like AMFA, but by the time this MRO stuff gets rolling the Teamsters maybe in power, and a strike is possible, which the Teamsters could pull off.

I

I like this part, "The contract is our best leverage with the Company and/or outside MRO providers or financial investors. Neither party wants to wait for the date that the current contract is amendable—December 31, 2009. Two years plus is a long time for the marketplace". I believe the company will get the 51% vote for the MRO's to move in by targetting specific groups for yes votes , mechanics at retirement age....... I like AMFA, but by the time this MRO stuff gets rolling the Teamsters maybe in power, and a strike is possible, which the Teamsters could pull off.

I

Doesn't matter if the Treamsters are the agent or not.
We still have the same membership.
The time to take strike action has long since passed.
If a strike did occur, everyone else will cross the line (AFA,IAM,ALPA,CWA) and UAL will be well prepared (aka NWA) and most of the membership would cross the line within 30 days (if there is anything left).
Sorry, the same Tuff Talking Tommies are still here.

They never had a contract they liked and never voted no. :p

Take Care,
B) UT

If they sell what remains of overhaul, how many line mechanics will there be?