Cost Control Suggestions

AOG, they actually don't pay for Attache, the revenue from adds goes to Pace Communications and it covers the cost and U gets some money out of the advertising also

Here's a waste of money from my corner of US.We have pc air and external power at all our gates.And we use them every night.This saves a huge amount of money over running apu's all night.Several months ago one of the power units had a melt down.The gse guys quickly tracked it down to a bad circuit board.Problem is they can't order it because it costs more than $50.00.Ok,no problem,we have a diesel generator we'll use.About 2 weeks later that went down with a bad alternator.Guess what!It costs more than $50.00.That leaves us one alternative,run the apu all night at a fuel burn of about 100 lb/hr.Not to mention the additional wear and tear on the apu.Now this went on for several weeks until someone finally approved the purchase of an alternator.The external power still isn't fixed.Here's the kicker,our electrical bill is included in the rent.Doesn't matter how much or little we use.So theres no need for us to even be burning the diesel fuel.We've already bought the electricty from the state.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/4/2002 9:30:18 AM LDKIAM wrote:

AOG, they actually don't pay for Attache, the revenue from adds goes to Pace Communications and it covers the cost and U gets some money out of the advertising also
----------------
[/blockquote]
Lovely, Does this justify the lost earnings , that over purchasing the amounts we actually need dictates? If CLT is but one example of cases of these things being tossed....what's it like in the other stations?

Then you have to calculate the added wieght per Acft , per Flight. Got any figures on how that balances out? Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that 6 oz. Coke Cans became a hot topic on wieght savings?..not space savings!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/4/2002 9:37:31 AM 757fixer wrote:

Here's a waste of money from my corner of US.We have pc air and external power at all our gates.And we use them every night.This saves a huge amount of money over running apu's all night.Several months ago one of the power units had a melt down.The gse guys quickly tracked it down to a bad circuit board.Problem is they can't order it because it costs more than $50.00.Ok,no problem,we have a diesel generator we'll use.About 2 weeks later that went down with a bad alternator.Guess what!It costs more than $50.00.That leaves us one alternative,run the apu all night at a fuel burn of about 100 lb/hr.Not to mention the additional wear and tear on the apu.Now this went on for several weeks until someone finally approved the purchase of an alternator.The external power still isn't fixed.Here's the kicker,our electrical bill is included in the rent.Doesn't matter how much or little we use.So theres no need for us to even be burning the diesel fuel.We've already bought the electricty from the state.
----------------
[/blockquote]
757fixer , you are absolutely right about the APU's. I see them in use on the Hangar ramp when even nobody's actually working the plane sometimes

Then as you mentioned..the price of a Kilowatt hour is a great deal less than the burn rate of fuel on an APU...and let us not forget, We don't hedge on our fuel..So we pay current demand price levels.

Then you have to figure in that APU's are like any other Gas Turbine Engine...they break and have to be Over-hauled..this I can assure you is no cheap propositon either. Effective Utilization of our resources would be a big savings to us....You know it..and I know it...Some refuse to accept the need for change in our way of thinking and doing things...otherwise , moe and more PEOPLE will continue to be sacrificed to make up the difference.[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/7.gif']

Try finding a workable power unit on the hanger side! Its usually a good hour task of frustration.

[P]It would appear the part about bringing in ticket sales and maintaining good consumer relations with friendlier fares and friendlier change policies has gone right over certain heads of those in charge.[/P]
[P]Never mind the meat and potatoes of the business, the continued ignorance in this regard is a good way to fix an airline in dire straits. Right?[/P]

AOG:

This thread has been reviewed by US Airways senior management and some of the suggestions will be further examined and/or implemented.

Many of the recommendations are for the Maintenance Department and it's my understanding US Airways senior vice president of maintenance John Prestifilippo has reviewed the posts.

I believe you will see changes in the Technical Operations, Technical Services, and Material areas where some of these suggestions will be implemented.

Thank you and the other posters for all of the inputs and genuine concern to help our company.

Chip

Here's an idea... Why dont we start selling off what we do not need anymore yet which still retains value. For Example in PHL there are about a dozen buses that used to shuttle pax to/from the terminal to express flights. They have been sitting over near a fence since the new F terminal opened doing nothing...

Sell em.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/7/2002 2:38:31 AM tadjr wrote:

Maybe they're saving the busses to shuttle Art to ISP next time his flight canx. We're probably paying the airport to keep them parked on property too.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Tad,

That's the problem--they don't offer alternative transportation. Last time I had to rent a car to get home.

That notwithstanding, I don't think the savings afforded by selling busses would be sufficient to make a difference.

Perhaps better training for personnel in Terminal F would help though.

No offense, but that place is the Achilles heel of the system, from a customer service standpoint. And you know how I feel about U employees :)

Latest posts