Cost of Living Increase in the new Contract?

ganesha

Advanced
Sep 19, 2006
I just found an old Social Security/disability statement that states your income from all of your years of working and tells you how much you will receive if you are disabled. Nine years ago, I made more than I make now, that is, flying the same monthly average of 85 hours. So, gas prices go up, heating oil increases, groceries increase (the trucks that bring the food have to pay gas too), insurance has gone up (lord knows we are all paying for Katrina), and, has our MEC said anything about a cost of living increase? A wage increase? Honestly, I've gone down $3 an hour from 9 years ago. If you take into consideration 2-3% inflation increase every year for 9 years, my salary has decreased by 18-27%, If I calculate that correctly, I would have to fly approximately 16 extra hours a month, or, 101 hours, to make what I was making in 1998. So now I fly 101, what happens in 9 more years, I will have to fly 121 hours - great, just what I wanted to do in my 50's, fly 121 hours a month. I guess that's why the senior girls fly as much as they fly.......It's no wonder why we have no energy left for the customer, we ARE EXHAUSTED!!!! Write to CAustin, MFlores and your local MEC and tell them we need a raise or we are voting NO NO NO!!!

Pardon me for not sugar-coating this for you.

The amenable date of your contract is 12/31/2011. With the normal BS that goes on concerning negotiating a contract it will likely be 2013 before you vote on anything more then union officers. You folks had your golden opportunity to do something a few years ago and caved to management when you didn't strike when you had the opportunity.

Nine years ago, I made more than I make now, that is, flying the same monthly average of 85 hours. So, gas prices go up, heating oil increases, groceries increase (the trucks that bring the food have to pay gas too), insurance has gone up (lord knows we are all paying for Katrina), and, has our MEC said anything about a cost of living increase? A wage increase? Honestly, I've gone down $3 an hour from 9 years ago. If you take into consideration 2-3% inflation increase every year for 9 years, my salary has decreased by 18-27%[.]
That sucks.

I'd find a better paying job.

The amenable date of your contract is 12/31/2011. With the normal BS that goes on concerning negotiating a contract it will likely be 2013 before you vote on anything more then union officers. You folks had your golden opportunity to do something a few years ago and caved to management when you didn't strike when you had the opportunity.

who thinks we'll be around in 2011, raise your hand!

yes, lots and lots of better paying jobs all over the place.....just reach out and take one..lol
Nope, it takes a lot of work to get a better paying job. Often one has to go back to school or take the time and effort to learn a more marketable skill. I never said it was easy.

If you're not happy with your situation, you have a choice: do nothing and hope your boss will throw you a few extra crumbs out of pity (not likely, especially if you are in a job that doesn't take extensive training or education meaning you can be easily replaced), or take charge of your professional development.

The fact that an employee continues to come to work despite a shrinking paycheck tells that employee's boss there is no need for a raise.

The fact that an employee continues to come to work despite a shrinking paycheck tells that employee's boss there is no need for a raise.

Bingo!

Additionally, as long as people keep coming to work there is no need to improve job conditions.

The problem is that too many people want the other people to quit and make that statement so that they can benefit personally from the resignations of others.

Bingo!

Additionally, as long as people keep coming to work there is no need to improve job conditions.

The problem is that too many people want the other people to quit and make that statement so that they can benefit personally from the resignations of others.
You know as well as I do if you have found something that paid as well and had the lifestyle benefits we would all be there. This is the same dribble? that we heard in BK1
and BK2. If you find that job, "Good for you!" otherwise please move aside for the rest of us who want to be here. The complaining can be heard at your local union office.

You know as well as I do if you have found something that paid as well and had the lifestyle benefits we would all be there. This is the same dribble? that we heard in BK1
and BK2. If you find that job, "Good for you!" otherwise please move aside for the rest of us who want to be here. The complaining can be heard at your local union office.

Waitress at Applebees? :lol: What is this "lifestlye" you speak of? :lol: Ah yes, reading people magazine and robbing the breakfast buffet at the crappy hotel. Good stuff.

People have been saying the same for years. The reason management takes action against you is they realize that you are all too lazy to take action back.

You folks had your golden opportunity to do something a few years ago and caved to management when you didn't strike when you had the opportunity.

You don't know what you are talking about. During both Ch 11's, but especially in the second one, we DID have the gun to our heads and the constant threats to convert to ch 7 WERE REAL!!! I WAS THERE!! YOU WEREN'T!! When you have to make a choice between a HUGE possibily of going under and taking a cut in pay, guess what wins out. Is you union rep going to pay your mortage, your kids college, or ANY bills for that matter? Hell no! Like many, I wasn't ready to move on to another job.

As far as a strike? I promise you with the position we were in, there would had been no sympathy. Do you really think anybody cares what airline survives and which don't. I and many were aware of that and were trying to preserve what was left.

I would love a raise but what is really telling was your statement of the contract not being amendable until 2011. Sounds to me like someone doesn't WANT one contract or is this STILL about senority? If so, AFA West, meet ALPA East.

As long as F/A's keep coming to work, F/A's will never get a raise. This is a new era, for airline pay. And F/A's keep voting YES YES YES every contract time because managment put's the fear of God in them that we will "go out of business", and the gun is put to our heads to vote yes or have the company impose "work rules and concessions". I've voted NO every contract, I don't care if this company stays or goes, I know I cannot AFFORD to work here anymore and yes I am furthering my skills and looking for another job that pay $30,000 a year, one where I'll have the capacity to prove myself and grow in salary - not keep getting behind the cost of living year after year! And for pilots it's the same, the days of great pay for you is over too! We are all screwed in this occupation because we cannot walk into another job making what we make, and the company knows this so they will keep the pay level, not to lose too many, just keep enough to operate.

NO Bawls
NO Backbone'
Stand up for your rights.
What are they going to do to you-fire you?
Vote No@!

Latest posts