IAM dues increase

IAM = no representation. You are non-represented dues payers.
That is exactly my point! For what I've gotten from the dues I've paid, I would have rather just taken a paycut and had no union. It all boils down to the same thing. The difference is that with the iam i'm paying them dues for the priviledge of selling me out. With the company I'd just be giving them the dues back in the form of a paycut. Either way I lose. If I had my druthers I'd rather lose with the company. I think it is called a no-win no-win situation.

As for the IAM dues increase perhaps it's time for the IAM to prune some of its dead wood and "Right Size" it's organization to reflect the lower membership. If not then perhaps the IBT offers more value for their dues money. With the merger it seems like the workers may actually have a choice and can decide which offers them the best value proposition.

No kidding!!! Every department at every airline has "right sized" because of less aircraft, etc. Why wouldn't the unions (each and every one of them) "right size" themselves? Duh!! Maybe it's time for the unions to start retaining some young, fresh, less tainted lawyers at lesser costs. They may even have some new ideas and new tactics and not owe their souls to the devil. Because it doesn't appear that the high cost lawyers have done squat for the union members when all it takes is the BK judge to make the decisions. Time for all union members to actually have a say in their future instead of paying higher and higher dues (when wages and benefits are lower and lower) to the union bosses can't seem to return any dividends on the members investment. :angry:

The last District Messenger I saw listed Jerry as district organizer.

There was no such job in previous Messengers.

Sinecure?

Gerry has been in that position for over a year, all three transportation districts have had it for over a year now.

It depends on what area of the IAM.

Transportation has not been doing well when it comes to organizing as most of the legacies are unionized and the LCCs are hard to unionize.

There are new groups organized every week in the rest of the IAM.

Jerry was reassigned, but he was not removed from the district payroll.

All of the US stations he covered, save RDU, have been expressed or outsourced (his stewardship of CLT was interim).

I find it interesting that the IAM has been in the transportation business from the jump, and has just recently gotten around to creating this position.

Part of what is going on behind the scenes is, in my view, an error in judgement. The IAM is centralizing.

The IAM structure is local, district and international.

In the old days, the local had a lot of power. They certainly had a big part in organizing. Locals had active legislative committees, and a mandate to assist local charities.

In an era of diminishing resources, the district is taking over these responsibilites and $$$.

I believe the wiser long-term course is for unions to be decentralized. Who knows the local scene better than resident activists? Moreover, activists want a voice in decision-making. That is not currently happening at the IAM. Lastly, residents are cheaper than district reps. No room and board!

Latest posts