Cultures actually clash in US Airways-America West merger

Cultures actually clash in US Airways-America West merger

Sunday, April 02, 2006
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Excerpt:
But no one is fighting over soft drinks and uniforms -- at least not yet -- which is why the brawl in Philadelphia stands as a particularly harrowing example of the differences that threaten to disrupt labor peace. Again, the two sides differ on the details of what happened, but what all agree is that organizers from the Transport Workers Union were in Philadelphia on Feb. 8 as part of a campaign to gain support from US Airways workers and swing them to the TWU side.

The IAM, in a court filing, claims the TWU organizers tried to force IAM-represented US Airways employees from the Marriott Hotel meeting room and then "physically assaulted" them. The IAM claims its members fought back in self-defense.

The TWU, in a statement to the National Mediation Board obtained by the Post-Gazette, tells a different story. It claims several IAM officials warned them to leave the room and one pointed to a group of men waiting outside, wearing US Airways uniforms, and said: "If they come in here, I can't be responsible for what they are about to do."

Soon thereafter, 25 men rushed into the room, throwing chairs and tables, breaking glass, punching and kicking the five TWU organizers. One TWU organizer said he deflected four or five chairs before being hit with several others. At least five men pulled him to the ground, held him down and kicked him repeatedly, according to the statement.

Another man said he had a hot cup of coffee thrown in his face.

Yet another man from the TWU described being cornered by five men who "rammed" him against the wall several times with a large metal dining cart. The man, according to a statement filed with the National Mediation Board, "became convinced the attackers were trying to kill him." On "sheer adrenaline," he pushed the cart and his attackers back and escaped, only to be pinned against a filing cabinet and hit with repeated blows to his head.

He said he yelled: "Enough! Enough!"

Gee you wouldn't be biased now?

The IAM, in a court filing, claims the TWU organizers tried to force IAM-represented US Airways employees from the Marriott Hotel meeting room and then "physically assaulted" them. The IAM claims its members fought back in self-defense.

Um.....yeah......25 to 5. And if I were one of the 5, I would really chanllenge 25 thugs. My BS detector is going off big time!

Sorry the TWU employees story is much more believeable.

On a second note......must have been a slow news day in PIttsburgh. Dan loves to take a whack at US Airways when ever he's bored.

Um.....yeah......25 to 5. And if I were one of the 5, I would really chanllenge 25 thugs. My BS detector is going off big time!

Sorry the TWU employees story is much more believeable.

On a second note......must have been a slow news day in PIttsburgh. Dan loves to take a whack at US Airways when ever he's bored.
Mark, you are clueless and always have been.

I have one thing to say to the employees who remained....

(You poor bastards) I don’t envy you and suggest you do what a lot of us did, LEAVE.

LOL....that is the tame/medicated version of what I really want to say. But I prefer not to be sent to the cornfield.

Mark, you are clueless and always have been.

I have one thing to say to the employees who remained....

(You poor bastards) I don’t envy you and suggest you do what a lot of us did, LEAVE.

Sorry bud, but I feel I have a total grip on reality. Name calling doesn't prove anything....it just shows that you can't form an arguement/defense of your own.

Your envy isn't needed, glad you are happy with your choice to leave. Perhaps you could have the same level of respect for those of us that chose to stay.

700, give it up already please! Let the lawyers make fools of themselves...I suppose there is an outside chance that the TWU reps were high on crack when they "assaulted" the much larger IAM group of reps :lol: :lol: :lol:

The gate agents in Pittsburgh were right. The Pittsburgh Newspaper always prints out negative news about US Airways which is a shame. That reporter probably doesn't have anything better and nice to write because this trash is an old article.

The gate agents in Pittsburgh were right. The Pittsburgh Newspaper always prints out negative news about US Airways which is a shame. That reporter probably doesn't have anything better and nice to write because this trash is an old article.

We have the same problem with some of the news media here in Phx. Couple of weeks ago 620 KTAR dedicated an hour to bashing US Airways and other Airlines for airfares and the charging for aisle seats. I called in and got on the radio and as soon as I told the host I worked for US Airways and started to refute what was being said I was cutoff and could hear him say "Oh we lost the connection...must be a cheap cell phone...one that the company probably provided him" What an A-HOLE. I was so pissed I couldn't see striaght. Clearly he had an agenda. A-HOLE.

Self defense!? That's a big joke! The numbers alone, even without the newspaper story, doesn't make it look like self defense. Let's see 22 of the 25 IAM representatives had charges brought against them? I would say that the only people who thought it was self defense were the 22 representatives and their lawyers, and the lawyers beliefs are financially motivated.

The best self defense is to stop the violence before it gets out of hand. Walk away.

Gee 7 wouldn't you be bias yourself ?.:)

Regardless of all of that do you not get how easy the IAM has made it for lazy and not lazy media folks to just get all over us Airways over this?

I agree Bob....this type of action does make the Union community look very bad. It makes it much easier for the lazy media looking for a quick fix on a "slow news day", to "stir the pot".

It takes all the well meaning union members and trashes the positive work they have done. There are thousands of union members that DON'T turn to this type of action, that will be set back because of it. :)

What would a story about union goon violence be without everyone's favorite apologist, 700.

"Dose guys, dey desoived it, why, dey was moving into our toif! We are just good union guyz, dey came in here, see, and dey wasz carrying the revised standard version bible, we believe in da King James version, so wese couldn't sit and pray wid em, so instead, we called in our 22 prayer counselors, and dey "explained" how to pray right"

Poor 700, living in congative dissonance land. :lol: