Depending On Phl?

Another solution might be to eliminate the necessity of having every passenger traveling from the Northeast to Florida stop there.

An airplane overflying PHL, at altitude, with a full load of passengers heading south is producing a hell of a lot more revenue -- or at least losing a hell of a lot less money -- than one sitting at the gate in PHL waiting for a jetway driver, while its passengers' connecting flights to Florida are departing without them three concourses over.

Exactly. That's the type of flying the capacity reductions at PHL could be used for. Interestingly, Lehman Brothers figures that the RASM on what little point to point flying we do (0.4% of total ASM's) is among the highest in the system.

Jim

Personally, I expect U to continue downsizing mainline, and expanding express.

I would not be surprised to see PHL downsize to a focus city to capture the O&D and the transfer flying to shift to CLT, or RJ point-to-point.

The new management has no loyalties to PHL, and they can add and subtract. I'm guessing the costs of PHL go a long way to offsetting revenues.
Hmmm........the New Management is looking to "trim". I agree with what you say dogenes. Long time established HUBs have no meaning. AWA trimmed long time HUBs for the good of the bottom line. It makes sense........