DOS

BigMac

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
TORNADO ALLEY
When is the DOS?
What happens now in what order?
The judge has to approve this TA correct?
So actual DOS could be a few weeks, months???
Insurance and union dues go up on the DOS correct?
The judge can still terminate our past contracts?
The answers may be in past posts but damn there are so many. It would take months to read through them all. Answers would be appreciated. Thank you

Back in 2003 when the last industry leading concessionary deal was pushed through I had discussed leaving the industry. I was asked not to by my wife as we had three kids and she asked that I wait till she finished school. She took six years but she finally did finish and she is an RN now (her starting pay was more than my maxed out pay). I was 42 years old then, looking back I'm not sure we made the right choice.

So here's the best answer I can give you at this point in time, none of that stuff really matters, this is a crappy place to work and its not going to get any better anytime soon. If there is one thing I've learned after 26 years at AA is waiting for things to get better simply does not pay off because things only get worse. Basically you are working as if you have no union, sure you pay dues but everything a Union normally provides is gone, in fact your deal is worse than what the non-union mechanics get.

Time to seriously start looking for another career. Moving to another carrier will only work if you are fortunate enough to see AA go out of businerss after you leave because how can UAL and other carriers continue to pay their guys $8/hr more than AA and compete? Even if the Wage Adjustment provision kicks in AA will still be paying at least three to four dollars an hour less when other forms of compensation, benefits and workrules are added in.

Reactions: 6 people
Back in 2003 when the last industry leading concessionary deal was pushed through I had discussed leaving the industry. I was asked not to by my wife as we had three kids and she asked that I wait till she finished school. She took six years but she finally did finish and she is an RN now (her starting pay was more than my maxed out pay). I was 42 years old then, looking back I'm not sure we made the right choice.

So here's the best answer I can give you at this point in time, none of that stuff really matters, this is a crappy place to work and its not going to get any better anytime soon. If there is one thing I've learned after 26 years at AA is waiting for things to get better simply does not pay off because things only get worse. Basically you are working as if you have no union, sure you pay dues but everything a Union normally provides is gone, in fact your deal is worse than what the non-union mechanics get.

Time to seriously start looking for another career. Moving to another carrier will only work if you are fortunate enough to see AA go out of businerss after you leave because how can UAL and other carriers continue to pay their guys $8/hr more than AA and compete? Even if the Wage Adjustment provision kicks in AA will still be paying at least three to four dollars an hour less when other forms of compensation, benefits and workrules are added in.
Bob, I agree. I voted NO. Some of my friends have gone on to other careers. They knew people would cave and give in to AA. I will ride this Titanic til it sinks. I need to know the DOS to make plans to either bump or remain where I am. I wish you, your wife and kids the best up in NY, Bob.

Reactions: 2 people

Bob, BigMac asked a few questions that you completely failed to address. Instead you wrote a three paragraph vent of anger. Just like you, I am disappointed with the outcome of the vote and, if I wanted to show my disgust, it would be in a thread that I started, not in a thread asking specific questions. I also would like to know the answers to BigMac's questions.

Reactions: 1 person
Bob, BigMac asked a few questions that you completely failed to address. Instead you wrote a three paragraph vent of anger. Just like you, I am disappointed with the outcome of the vote and, if I wanted to show my disgust, it would be in a thread that I started, not in a thread asking specific questions. I also would like to know the answers to BigMac's questions.

He didn't object, guess its because he read the part "So here's the best answer I can give you at this point in time".

Bob, I agree. I voted NO. Some of my friends have gone on to other careers. They knew people would cave and give in to AA. I will ride this Titanic til it sinks. I need to know the DOS to make plans to either bump or remain where I am. I wish you, your wife and kids the best up in NY, Bob.

Thanks. Same to you and yours.

They are telling us at Eagle that all the TA's go into effect when the last one is approved and then signed. I imagine they will arrange to have them all signed on one day shortly after the last one is decided.

This may be their plan for you also.

The judge does not have to approve your TA. Abrogation takes place when a consensual agreement can not be reached, and the company petitions the court for relief from "onerous" contracts that prevent the company from surviving. (When you have stopped laughing, I'll continue, young man.) You have a consensual agreement. Company is happy? Judge is happy.

Now, the gotcha. I was told that until the day the company officially emerges from bankruptcy, they can go back to the court and get any/all of your consensual agreement abrogated. They can say, "Gee, we made a rounding error when calculating the cost of the health insurance, we need to eliminate all employee health insurance (or double the premiums again)." No, need to worry about Horton, et al. Like Congress, they do not participate in the health insurance plans made available to you.

When is the DOS? Once the other deals are done either by consensual agreement or abrogation. If the Judge makes his decision on the 15th, then the DOS would be the 15th. If it's delayed then the DOS would be delayed as well.

What happens now in what order? First, we wait. The Judge makes his decision, the DOS is established and the ball starts rolling.

The judge has to approve this TA correct? Technically, Yes. But that is a forgone conclusion. The current CBA still needs to be "legally" replaced by the new CBA.

So actual DOS could be a few weeks, months??? Depends on the Judge's ruling. Until the 1113 finishes, there is no DOS

Insurance and union dues go up on the DOS correct? All changes prescribed would take place. The Medical Plans cannot change because the plans themselves changed. We would have to have another Benefits Enrollment Period before changes can take hold.

The judge can still terminate our past contracts? Yes

The answers may be in past posts but damn there are so many. It would take months to read through them all. Answers would be appreciated. Thank you

When the finish writing the contract they will implement it. Shouldn't take long the contract is only two pages long now.

When the finish writing the contract they will implement it. Shouldn't take long the contract is only two pages long now.

Two pages? That much.

LBO 2.0
Page one: TBD
Page two: TBD
Page three: Thank you
Summary: Your check for legal fees is in the mail. Thank you.

Actually the court does approve any new labor agreement, but its just a rubber stamp.