DOS

GEO pay adjustment:

I heard it was also brought up by Tulsa negotiators this time but the other negotiators had some excuse for not going forward with it.

The only thing I could think of is back when GEO pay was proposed, different areas were to get different rates of GEO pay. IIRC, the then MIA local prez wasn't happy because MIA was to get less than NY, LA, SFO, etc.

As I recall, GEO pay was raised in prior negotiations (late 80's - early 90’s) based on a possible COLA adjustment but failed to get support from a majority of the negotiating committee so it never made it into the proposals at the time

As I recall, GEO pay was raised in prior negotiations (late 80's - early 90’s) based on a possible COLA adjustment but failed to get support from a majority of the negotiating committee so it never made it into the proposals at the time

Majority??????? or perhaps TULSA roll call objection?

GEO pay can be used to divide the union. It can be used the same way that the lower cassification in the hanger can.
I do see what you are saying but myself and others I have talked to about it agree that if say New York were to get $5.00 Geo and TUL didn't and they had a problem with them getting the pay they could always bid from Tulsa Terminal to New York if they couldn't get past that there is a definite difference in cost of living.

GEO pay can be used to divide the union. It can be used the same way that the lower cassification in the hanger can.

That's right that's why your last vote was basically a 50/50 split. The yeahs can't afford to go without a paycheck as most likely they the live in cities like NYC and BOS etc etc.. where the cost of living is much higher. The nays have been living high on the hog in cities like TUL and just want to keep feeding at the trough as long as possible.

That's right that's why your last vote was basically a 50/50 split. The yeahs can't afford to go without a paycheck as most likely they the live in cities like NYC and BOS etc etc.. where the cost of living is much higher. The nays have been living high on the hog in cities like TUL and just want to keep feeding at the trough as long as possible.
It was actually the the nays in high cost and the ayes in tulsa

I would hope after reading that you Will be the first one to sign up for the Early Out, Stand In Stead. If you forget when the oppertunity is available I will definately Remind you.

The "Early Out" is a crap deal. You have to sign away control of your life for an undetermined period for what, $40k max? You have to committ to going whenever they feel like letting you go. Now if they had defined dates where you could work out your next move then it might be something worth considering. Most guys with 20 or more yeas have between $20 and $39k in sick time in the bank. So their sick banks will pay for the early outs in many cases. Loyd Greys strategy will be a popular one I'd say.

Why would the Line not want GEO pay?

It was very easy for the 514 reps to say they supported GEO when they knew the company flat out rejected it. Like I said Steve Luis ran around on a Road Show claiming that he supported GEO but when the time came to live up to the promise he didnt. The line wasnt against GEO, we just werent interested in tweaking the deal just enough to get it passed like 514 was.

The "Early Out" is a crap deal. You have to sign away control of your life for an undetermined period for what, $40k max? You have to committ to going whenever they feel like letting you go. Now if they had defined dates where you could work out your next move then it might be something worth considering. Most guys with 20 or more yeas have between $20 and $39k in sick time in the bank. So their sick banks will pay for the early outs in many cases. Loyd Greys strategy will be a popular one I'd say.
True. If they wanted way more top pay senior guys to leave, they would've sweetened the pot to clean house. Losing experienced people isn't an issue any more since they lowered the hiring qualifiations.

But don't forget the guys who came from PanAm and Eastern and many others who started at an older age into a higher prefunding rate. Many of these people over 65 will see another $40g or so when they leave. I beleive the former TWA guys were grandfathered into the pre 1989 lowest rate.

So yes $40g isnt much at all, but to those older guys over 65, it's found money.
As for the pre 65 crowd, either they have to pay for medical out of their own pocket or go ounder their spouses medical if they are still working.

How slick of the TWU and AA. All they have to do is see how much sick time you have in the bank, your age, station and seniority. Then they decide if you are eligible for the package. With the contract still not finalized we do not know how many and when they will be allowed to leave. With a six year deal they can set the departure dates based on operational needs. So if I put in for it today they may tell me my departure date is two years from now. Who is to argue? Very interesting.

With a six year deal they can set the departure dates based on operational needs. So if I put in for it today they may tell me my departure date is two years from now. Who is to argue? Very interesting.

I would be very surprised if they did not set the departure dates very soon after DOS. As a matter of HR standards, you do not want people on the property long after they have decided that they want to leave... Especially if they are bitter.

I would be very surprised if they did not set the departure dates very soon after DOS. As a matter of HR standards, you do not want people on the property long after they have decided that they want to leave... Especially if they are bitter.

Excellent point....I think those who request early out are going to get just that...an EARLY out!

But half those are at the hall or in the intl.
Can an Executive Board member retain their position if they are bumped to OSM?

The company wants a certain number of OSM's and if a handful are at the union hall who is going to do their work?

Latest posts

Back