DOS

Back in 2003 when the last industry leading concessionary deal was pushed through I had discussed leaving the industry. I was asked not to by my wife as we had three kids and she asked that I wait till she finished school. She took six years but she finally did finish and she is an RN now (her starting pay was more than my maxed out pay). I was 42 years old then, looking back I'm not sure we made the right choice.

So here's the best answer I can give you at this point in time, none of that stuff really matters, this is a crappy place to work and its not going to get any better anytime soon. If there is one thing I've learned after 26 years at AA is waiting for things to get better simply does not pay off because things only get worse. Basically you are working as if you have no union, sure you pay dues but everything a Union normally provides is gone, in fact your deal is worse than what the non-union mechanics get.

Time to seriously start looking for another career. Moving to another carrier will only work if you are fortunate enough to see AA go out of businerss after you leave because how can UAL and other carriers continue to pay their guys $8/hr more than AA and compete? Even if the Wage Adjustment provision kicks in AA will still be paying at least three to four dollars an hour less when other forms of compensation, benefits and workrules are added in.

I would hope after reading that you Will be the first one to sign up for the Early Out, Stand In Stead. If you forget when the oppertunity is available I will definately Remind you.

I would hope after reading that you Will be the first one to sign up for the Early Out, Stand In Stead. If you forget when the oppertunity is available I will definately Remind you.

No he won't he loves it here just like everyone else! Nobody leaves yet this place is the worst place to work . I don't get it?

No he won't he loves it here just like everyone else! Nobody leaves yet this place is the worst place to work . I don't get it?

Maybe he is not old enough like many of us with 20 to 25 plus years of seniority and in our 50's.

Maybe he is not old enough like many of us with 20 to 25 plus years of seniority and in our 50's.
I understand what you are saying But, after reading his post I see no alternative for him. Like he said he needs a new career but maybe there is nothing available out there to replace that income without having to leave his family during the work week or he doesn't want to move his family away from where they have roots.

I understand what you are saying But, after reading his post I see no alternative for him. Like he said he needs a new career but maybe there is nothing available out there to replace that income without having to leave his family during the work week or he doesn't want to move his family away from where they have roots.

That is a strong argument for GEO pay but the TWU took it off the table.
Unfortunately many of us fall in the same situation including myself. You can only get up and move or start over in your early stages of your life. Unless you start your own business it is hard to get hired when pushing past 50. Then you have to prove your in good health or they will find a reason to not hire you.

Umm, yes the judge has to approve of the contracts. Thats what happens in bankruptcy. What are the chances he doesn't approve? I would say 0.00000000000000000001%. Like it was said before. It will be rubber stamped. The judge assumes that management knows what they are doing when they renegotiate the contracts. Either way, if they are consensual, he will be more than happy. By the way, it took the judge 2-3 weeks after the original 5 TWU work groups passed their contracts to approve their approved t/a's.

That is a strong argument for GEO pay but the TWU took it off the table.
Unfortunately many of us fall in the same situation including myself. You can only get up and move or start over in your early stages of your life. Unless you start your own business it is hard to get hired when pushing past 50. Then you have to prove your in good health or they will find a reason to not hire you.
I have agreed Strongly with GEO pay as have anyone I have talked to at TULE. I do disagree with the company for not considering that.

I have agreed Strongly with GEO pay as have anyone I have talked to at TULE. I do disagree with the company for not considering that.

From what was explained to me from the union presidents it was taken out before the presidents counsel was able to negotiate it back in 2009 or so. The company never was approached with it. Although the company should have considered it even if we did not ask for it. Too late now, just a conversation piece.

From what was explained to me from the union presidents it was taken out before the presidents counsel was able to negotiate it back in 2009 or so. The company never was approached with it. Although the company should have considered it even if we did not ask for it. Too late now, just a conversation piece.
I heard it was also brought up by Tulsa negotiators this time but the other negotiators had some excuse for not going forward with it.

Why would the Line not want GEO pay?

The only thing I could think of is back when GEO pay was proposed, different areas were to get different rates of GEO pay. IIRC, the then MIA local prez wasn't happy because MIA was to get less than NY, LA, SFO, etc.

Latest posts

Back