Duty Manager and Sr Manager Positions in PHL

High Flyer

Oct 24, 2006
Hello,
New to this site. I need some help, I was wondering about the MGT positions posted on usairways.com. Could someone help me with salary and why that PHL is in need of new managers. I have always wanted to work for USAirways and never had the chance. I understand that PHL has some proplems, but I still want to try and work with US. Could someone help with salary and duties for these positions?

Thank you! :D

Hello,
New to this site. I need some help, I was wondering about the MGT positions posted on usairways.com. Could someone help me with salary and why that PHL is in need of new managers. I have always wanted to work for USAirways and never had the chance. I understand that PHL has some proplems, but I still want to try and work with US. Could someone help with salary and duties for these positions?

I was in the same position as you at one point. Started out as an agent, and was asked to be a ramp manager. Instead I came out to corporate in Phoenix and it's 10 times better when it comes to money, working conditions, and other stuff like that. If you're coming in as a newbie you'll be lowest on the pole and get the worst shift including weekends. A 12-14 hour shift on Christmas or another holiday isn't that uncommon. My recommendation is try and keep your current job and start out as an agent part time to see if you like it or not. It will at least give you some experience in all the functions if you do for some reason decide to be a manager. I had a blast but that was because I was an agent. It would have been totally different if I came in as a manager. You sort of have to earn the respect of the rampers to get them to really work for you. It's as simple as treat a person the way you want to be treated. A lot of the managers there right now don't follow that and they wonder why the guys won't do anything for them. The guys who come in for those positions without any airline ops experience usually don't last very long. PHL is a whole different ball game compared to the other stations. I thought the starting salary was somewhere in the low to mid 30's.

Hello,

Can you work for Free and 7 days a week? If so great your hired!

My advice is run very fast the other way!

You will be cannon foder for higher ups they want you to get the flights out but won't give the tools to the employees to work the flights. So in the end you will get hung out to dry!

You will be cannon foder for higher ups they want you to get the flights out but won't give the tools to the employees to work the flights. So in the end you will get hung out to dry!

I can attest to this. I've seen it happen many times. It's a shame because there are good managers but they just don't have the resources They'll send you down to work International which is usually the last stop on your way out the door!

Hello,

If you are looking to break in to the Airline industry, a Mgmt. position in PHL is not the place to start. Being that you have little or no experience, you will be eaten alive by the troops. After they are done with you, upper Mgmt. will finish you off. PHL is a revolving door of managers, and there are many reasons for it. They fire more managers in PHL than a last place baseball team. Whenever anything goes wrong, getting rid of a few managers is the quick fix, so they think. This should answer your question as to why they have openings for Managers in PHL. If you do decide to take a position there, don't unpack your belongings to quickly. :blink:

If you are looking to break in to the Airline industry, a Mgmt. position in PHL is not the place to start. Being that you have little or no experience, you will be eaten alive by the troops. After they are done with you, upper Mgmt. will finish you off. PHL is a revolving door of managers, and there are many reasons for it. They fire more managers in PHL than a last place baseball team. Whenever anything goes wrong, getting rid of a few managers is the quick fix, so they think. This should answer your question as to why they have openings for Managers in PHL. If you do decide to take a position there, don't unpack your belongings to quickly. :blink:

You can see it in the posting. All they are asking for is one year of airline experience, a little supervisory experience, and a college degree or equivalent FOR A SENIOR MANAGER. I'd take it in a heartbeat if I didn't know how it was already in PHL. It's about 2 grades more than I'm making now, and I wouldn't mind moving back to my hometown and being able to work with some of my friends again.

If you take the job, I have a few suggestions:

1) Get a written contract and have management come to your lawyer to sign it. Do it for a year at a time, and have a buyout clause if they abrogate the contract.

2) Have them provide you with the power to terminate on sight. You can avoid all the hoop-jumping.

3) See your doctor for a checkup before you start any regimen of abuse.

Good luck!

Latest posts