The Problems with PHL and this Company

I think it's safe to state that a great many of PHL's difficulties are related to the City and Airport authority and their abilities. I think most take your observation as as a "Given" when discussing PHL Operations. I know I do.
Just look who's in charge of Philly, now his brother wants to run. If his brother wins, I am never ever gonna step foot on any Philadelphia property. I think he and the 2 guys in DC, gotta be tied for being the most "Clueless" persons alive.

But then again, the ex-philly mayor, now gov. will be rolling some heads, about that I-78 fiasco. But that's a typical style of a Philly based runned thing.

So that being said, if you could pick your all star management team, who would you like to run PHL ?
Since I have been out of the workforce for just about 2 years now, I am not all that familiar with who is still out there. The good people that I knew were forced out in favor of LOWER PAID people by the former AWA upper management folks. They specifically went after the higer paid US East managers in PHL to cut costs. I knew of a few that were excellent, but they were given piss-poor reviews by upper management just to help get rid of them. :down:

Well, PHL is a lot better than it was. I've seen great improvements, but there is still a lot of work to do.

They were totally unprepared Wednesday and there were gate agents ready just to walk away complaining that they had a long day...well, I was at the airport for 16 hours...I really don't need to hear that someone doesn't want to help me and wants to go home...I want to go where I am going, too.

I would like to thank Marty S. and Theresa F. who did a fine job handling very difficult situations in PHL. I didn't get Marty's employee ID number, but I will be sending a note into Tempe because they remained professional and really tried to help as many people as possible.

On another note, one gate agent was announcing that she had "too many standbys" and would not take anymore...with the situation the way it was, I say, put people on the standby list--at least mentally it makes them feel better and who knows how many people may give up on a 3 hour delayed flight and just leave. Another gate agent was yelling at people, i'm not talking to anyone after that person--I'm going home and I have no idea if someone will replace me--it isn't my problem. And then there was the FC ticket agent you told a customer who said he had purchased a FC ticket (maybe he did, maybe he didn't) your FC ticket got you a seat in FC, not a shorter line when there is a problem--I'm closed and going home--wait in that line over there--it isn't my problem it is 3 hours long...I don't care what kind of ticket you have, I'm not waiting on you.

So, there are good people and bad people. I still prefer to be in PHL rather than PHX any day. I've seen PHX worse than PHL.

No, the problem with the last 3 days in PHL started with the city. No significant snow/ice removal efforts were initiated by the city until after 1:00PM on Wednesday, a full 24 hours after the storm started. And when they started their half azzed process with 25 different private contractors, they took a snow/sleet covered ramp and turned it into a finely polished ice rink. The city of PHL couldn't have done a better job if they had used Zamboni's to clear the ramp and taxiways.

You voice those assertions as if they were the whole story.

Would not USAirways have signed a contract with the city, with appropriate goals and penalties? Presuming the company personnel responsible for such a contract did their jobs, there should be ironclad directives, judged on a quantitative scale with appropriate elements that would allow an airline to backup the cities efforts and fines for non-performance.

If not, then USAirways has no room to complain. None.

If so, where is the accountability? How has the plan changed in light of the apparent non-performance? Where was the backup plan? You know, plan B? If the city did not comply with their contract(s), where are the lawsuits? Letters to the public.

That is USAirways managments job.

Blaming this week on the city is really pathetic, but seems to reflect the company line,..... blame it on someone else, if you can. <sigh>

Besides the PHL airport being, well Philly you can't expect someone to come in and produce results for the money Tempe feels is enough. Not only does the person in charge have to deal with daily operations they have to deal with a tough crowd (passengers and employees). THAT in itself is enough to make someone quit. The company can say all they want about Philly improvements but they need to raise the pay and get people in there that truly WORK for their money. The appreciation will cut both ways. I'm not saying the airport is filled with bad workers but c'mon there are some that make you just turn away in embarrasment. The upper management of this company better get it together.

The city of PHL couldn't have done a better job if they had used Zamboni's to clear the ramp and taxiways.

The city was confused it was thinking they were trying to help the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team!

The ramp went from a cratered icy landscape to a hockey ring!

Never seen such poor ice removal and I have seen some pretty bad storms in other citys. Philly doesnt have a clue how to handle snow.

Besides the PHL airport being, well Philly you can't expect someone to come in and produce results for the money Tempe feels is enough. Not only does the person in charge have to deal with daily operations they have to deal with a tough crowd (passengers and employees). THAT in itself is enough to make someone quit. The company can say all they want about Philly improvements but they need to raise the pay and get people in there that truly WORK for their money. The appreciation will cut both ways. I'm not saying the airport is filled with bad workers but c'mon there are some that make you just turn away in embarrasment. The upper management of this company better get it together.
lets just give away more freebies in PHL---maybe that will continue to help their plight...maybe an even bigger screen tv or ipod....
in all seriousness...the management team should have had a good rapor with the city to find out beforehand what the game plan was....they knew the storm was coming...
I have seen numerous times the rampers trying to work with what they had...bad equipment/short staffing levels ect...and then throw in this snow mess....I think management should have to work outside to see what they are against....maybe then they would pre plan??? One thing for sure-you cant place the blame for this one on the employees....

The ramp went from a cratered icy landscape to a hockey ring!
FOM 10.3.3 - "Taxi, takeoff and landing operations in reliable Nil reported conditions are prohibited."

If it was that bad, when were aircraft operations suspended?

Jim

FOM 10.3.3 - "Taxi, takeoff and landing operations in reliable Nil reported conditions are prohibited."

If it was that bad, when were aircraft operations suspended?

Jim

Jim,

I was refering to the area between the terminals not the runways or the main taxi ways! Gates were closed due to ice on the gate ramp areas

Maybe if the company could get away with paying a competitive wage, they'd keep better managers.

Would now be a good time to agree that the executives need to invest in quality management in PHL?

I know it may sound contrary to what most folks on this forum would like to believe, but management wages are on par with other carriers in PHL, and a concerted effort is being made to hire better quality managers. Change does not occur overnight, so don't expect anything near nirvana for at least 3 to 6 months.

Also, from my understanding, US Express shift managers actually earn a higher starting salary than their mainline counterparts, depending on their experience.

I know it may sound contrary to what most folks on this forum would like to believe, but management wages are on par with other carriers in PHL, and a concerted effort is being made to hire better quality managers. Change does not occur overnight, so don't expect anything near nirvana for at least 3 to 6 months.

Also, from my understanding, US Express shift managers actually earn a higher starting salary than their mainline counterparts, depending on their experience.

At least 3 to 6 months, how long we been hearing this stuff ?