Phl Station Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMW,

With all due respect and I mean this sincerely, why don't you consider applying for this job? You have shared your ideas on how this Company fails to plan for events, the lack of insight by Senior Management as will as those at the Director level, and the less than satisfactory performance of PHL as a hub.

I believe your perspective and input would be greatly valued in such a position.

As I said, do not take this as a tongue in cheek/sarcastic post. If you believe the operation in PHL needs to be changed, go for it.

Lindy

When Ms Paladini's regional spot opened up, the first name to come to my mind to fill it was Rick Pelc. I thought he was one of the golden boys. Guess not. 700-When did he work in CLT? What position?

Hope777 said:
I have thought about this for a while. It is my opinion, that the COMPANY should put one the VP's in charge of PHL and let them try to run it as it is.
I suggested this a year ago and the unionists shot it down because of work rules etc. When PHL originally had baggage problems.

Guess it sounds better now eh?

See, this is the problem at US -- God bless 'em but your worker bees, who profess to be so damned intelligent and market-savvy -- ain't! The few self-proclaimed US experts on this board are wrong.

Don't trot out that chewed-up excuse that it's management's fault.

Everyone from CCY should be in PHL in May. Don't make it optional.

Of course first you have to get a waiver on those work rules......

BoeingBoy said:
Hope777,

A tip of the hat to an excellent idea.

Jim
Indeed, but let's face it, that idea makes way too much sense for most any airline's management to implement it. Management are idea guys--they have a good idea of what you are doing wrong and what you need to change to do the job right without staff, supplies or facilities--they just ain't good at the how part.

I've always believed that one of the secrets of SWA's success is the fact that all their executives from Herb on down have to periodically go out and work the ramp, and the gate, and the ticket counter and help out on the plane. A good dose of reality can go along way in making good, reasonable, implementable decisions.

But, at the mainliners, they still sit in their ivory towers coming up with ideas like one agent per gate per flight. One person to check in last minute passengers, board special needs passengers, operate the EGR, and run up and down the jetbridge solving boarding problems, AND do it all in time span that was determined when there were at least 2 agents per gate and most of the time 3-4.

I've always said that you could not pay me enough to be a gate agent. My hat is off to everyone of them.

ok, I must have missed the memo. Kindly cite anywhere in an IAM or CWA contract that prohibits the company from placing anyone, including the local dog catcher, they please into a management position.

To the best of my knowledge, U is free and clear to manuever. Since IAM and CWA contract ratifications, CSM's have come and gone, and the company has not asked for any by-your-leave.

Hope, your idea is a beauty. Go, uncle A! ;)

Union leaders, take a note from PineyBob. Approach the Palace and say upfront this is an acceptable idea. Puts the pressure on them, yes?

"I suggested this a year ago and the unionists shot it down because of work rules etc"

Unions dont choose managers. What the hell are you talking about?

Possibly they were talking about the "that's my job, how dare you do it" thing - don't know.

As I said before, I think it's a great idea. Lord knows, they wouldn't be out there to replace anyone.

The only problem I can see is that anyone whose title starts with "Executive", "Senior", or the letter "V" or "C" probably doesn't have a clue how to check in customers, run a jetway, work a beltloader, dump the lavs, and on and on. They would probably be a danger to themselves (is that bad?) or those around them.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't do it, though.

Jim

Hope777 said:
I have thought about this for a while. It is my opinion, that the COMPANY should put one the VP's in charge of PHL and let them try to run it as it is. Maybe just maybe, they would see first hand what is wrong with the operation there. If indeed this is our bread and butter station since it accounts for that much revenue, put one of them there and make them turn it around or show them the door. Maybe Mark would see his Rolling Hub idea take flight. Maybe they would see that the current staffing levels are unacceptable to achieve a 0-5 ON-TIME performance. Maybe they would see the problems in the F-Terminal and so on.....Put a BIG BOY there and lets see how they do and what changes would be made.
Hope,

FANTASTIC idea! I say Mr. Siegle should TDY to Phl till the operation oust SWA.
Lord knows the airline can run as is w/o CCY presence. Afterall, he is the Harvard numbers guy. Anyone think he is up to the task?

I think letting a VP slug baggage around once and a while would be a concession id be willing to give. :)

lindy said:
MMW,

With all due respect and I mean this sincerely, why don't you consider applying for this job? You have shared your ideas on how this Company fails to plan for events, the lack of insight by Senior Management as will as those at the Director level, and the less than satisfactory performance of PHL as a hub.

I believe your perspective and input would be greatly valued in such a position.

As I said, do not take this as a tongue in cheek/sarcastic post. If you believe the operation in PHL needs to be changed, go for it.

Lindy
Lindy,

While I appreciate the vote of confidence and would love to do more to help the situation in PHL, I am not at a level where I would be readily accepted into that positon. Second point being, that anyone that is in that position should have full reign over what happens there with little involvement from CCY. What happens in PHL is that there are so many bean counter in CCY that create the PHL "plan" that you have to many hands in the pot. In all honesty, I dont think Rick was ever able to accomplish things to the level he wanted, mostly because of how CCY interferred with how he ran his station.

I appreciate you keeping me in mind for the job.....but I have different career asperations - besides ending up in a 55 gallon drum at the bottom of the river! :shock:

In my present job, I will continue to support PHL in the best way possible while offering creative suggestions and assistance with in my expertise.

I knew Rick Pelc when he was a ticket agent in Pit bout 20 yrs ago; he wasn't a firecracker then. wish him luck I guess

BoeingBoy said:
Possibly they were talking about the "that's my job, how dare you do it" thing - don't know.

As I said before, I think it's a great idea. Lord knows, they wouldn't be out there to replace anyone.

The only problem I can see is that anyone whose title starts with "Executive", "Senior", or the letter "V" or "C" probably doesn't have a clue how to check in customers, run a jetway, work a beltloader, dump the lavs, and on and on. They would probably be a danger to themselves (is that bad?) or those around them.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't do it, though.

Jim
Concur. It is against all contracts I am aware of for management to perform covered work. That is, a manager can't routinely perform agent, mech, f/a, or pilot work. Assuming dave had the quals, would you hand over the left seat to him? :lol:

Having said that, the Palace can make anybody they want a CSM, foreman, and whatever their counterparts are in the ALPA and AFA shops.

As an aside, in a station with which I am familiar, the CSM will pitch from time to time and lend a hand. No beefs.

diogenes,

Strangely enough, if he were qualified & current (say like a chief pilot or check airman is), I would like him to get a "real world" view. Say into PHL when the weather's bad and an east operation had departures backed up 50-70 deep with arrivals not able to get on the ramp.

He'd probably learn more from that than a month of looking at figures passed up from below.

Just call me crazy...

Jim

At one point, I know flight attendant supervisors were supposed to work one trip every three months. The problem the flight attendants had was the the supervisors "cherry-picked" the best trips to work, not ones that their seniority would allow. How could the supervisors possibly understand the reality of the job if they only saw the cream?

I think every person who is in any kind of supervisory position should be able to perform the same tasks as the peons.

That's probably not possible, but how about a "Take your Management to Work" day? Let them come in on your average Thursday, Friday or Sunday night and see what goes on. Or maybe Saturday for any trip to MCO? Maybe BBB could work the Special Assistance counter or sit in the RES chair for a few hours?

I've long thought that management should have to ride in the center seat of coach at least once a week to understand what our customers go through, from TSA lines to Baggage Claim.

I'm quite sure management would be bowled over by how much the employees do with so little.

Dea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back