East and west, we can all get along

Thanks! That was a really nice response to my post! I look forward to working with you too.

And....the seniority remarks were usually made in a "oh, by the way" kind of remark...not smug....which is why it always makes me laugh!

The East has lived in such a insular environment for so long that the reality? of having a "west" is kind of mind boggling.

"If it's west of the "burgh then we don't care" kind of thinking.

What I get a good laugh out of is the "Global thinking" that got us to 2 BKs.

As far as the F/As are concerned-lets forget the pilots (who could care less about us) and put some kind of pressure on the company to have ONE contract.

Since the merger, I have only ran into wonderful,professional individuals who are PHX and LAS based.
I have had numerous 2/3 hour sits in the PHX crew room and the FAs in the crew room and HOT room have been so welcoming. We have shared some great stories. Look forward to working with all you really soon.

This must be a F/A only post----I must have missed that----before we all start roasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya around Jerry G's camp fire ---we've got a little seniority matter to get shored up thrust on us by the naybobs at ALPO-MEC level--after a ten year fence gets put up then I might be in the mood for some roasted marshmallows.

^_^
Well said Sharonstoneseat...

WCT, thank you for your post as well. I've met some great west crews, and have some east friends that are in PHX now. I've had a fair bit of interaction with west crews in lobbies, vans, bars etc. It varies as much as interaction with crews from other airlines.

The major difference I see, and this is generalizing, is experience. I've overheard west F/As rolling their eyes and claiming the east F/As are bitter. Have you ever talked to any of them? Sit down with one. If you talk to someone around my seniority you'd probably be shocked at what we've endured. Have you ever been furloughed? Displaced? Worked for the company while they claimed you didn't? That's folks with less than ten years. How about PSA flight attendants? Imagine if PHX and LAS were shuttered tomorrow. What would you do? Have you ever been ready to strike? How many aircraft types have you worked? I can count fourteen. How many bases have you been in, how many unexpected moves or commutes have you been through? How many years have you put in? We range from 7 years minimum to 50.

The "get used to it" to "learn to change" comments don't do much for the already smaller and less protected west F/As. In fact, it portrays extreme ignorance. With all due respect, if any of us had wanted to work for America West, we would have applied. The high turnover means they were always hiring. Depending on the generation, we expected to work for a major airline. We once considered the other majors our peers, not the Spirits or AirTrans of the industry. This way of operating is just not something we will get used to or can have any pride in. Please don't put us down for wanting and fighting for better. I've outlasted three CEOs and will probably outlast this one. My co-workers have outlasted countless managements. We know this ugly phase will pass too. We have been through more changes than Joan Rivers' face, and that is something to be respected.

Talk to us. We might be sharing a contract and a galley. We can learn from each other. Just don't come in with an attitude that you somehow 'saved' us or that we need to lower our standards. Alot of the things we are loud about, be it a contract item or a cart set-up, come from 70 years of experience and countless mergers. This isn't our first time at the rodeo... we know how to work together, and know what works for what we do. That doesn't mean we can't learn from you as well... allow yourselves to integrate into the larger group bringing your knowlege, and join us in aspiring to a higher standard, not a lower one.
I have never said in anyway or form that AM West ever saved US Air! I appreciatte you and every other fa East or West. There is NO HIGHER STANDARD! We make LESS, and are treated WORSE! Nothing has changed. No pay parity, cost of living increases. Just a cold reminder, of why we suffer in this merger, just like you! Difference, we were never invited to the PROM!!! WE will never see any positive changes in this merger, or contract until your PILOTS on the EAST grow up!! Sorry. :down:

This must be a F/A only post----I must have missed that----before we all start roasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya around Jerry G's camp fire ---we've got a little seniority matter to get shored up thrust on us by the naybobs at ALPO-MEC level--after a ten year fence gets put up then I might be in the mood for some roasted marshmallows.

We got through a surprisingly high number of real positive post before a somebody finally chimed in a tried to kill the vibe. And surprise, surprise...it was a pilot. I know, I know. If you're not happy, you're going to make damn sure nobody else is. Nice philosophy. Good luck with that. And nice job with that real sharp ALPA/ALPO barb. I can't wait to work with you.

As for the rest of you, what a breath of fresh air. The East vs. West crap has to end if we ever hope to have anything positive come from this airline. I don't have the same hatred of the management that many of the posts demonstrate, but it doesn't take an MBA to see we're gonna get played against each other as long as possible to keep operating costs *(employee pay and benefits) down.

We got through a surprisingly high number of real positive post before a somebody finally chimed in a tried to kill the vibe. And surprise, surprise...it was a pilot. I know, I know. If you're not happy, you're going to make damn sure nobody else is. Nice philosophy. Good luck with that. And nice job with that real sharp ALPA/ALPO barb. I can't wait to work with you.

As for the rest of you, what a breath of fresh air. The East vs. West crap has to end if we ever hope to have anything positive come from this airline. I don't have the same hatred of the management that many of the posts demonstrate, but it doesn't take an MBA to see we're gonna get played against each other as long as possible to keep operating costs *(employee pay and benefits) down.

The FA's are integrating via date of hire, and seem to be getting along pretty well. Our pilot groups have a ways to go towards working things out. Hopefully; we'll all get together eventually. No intent to "kill the vibe" meant.

I live in the West but actually work (FUR-frozen) out East. The simple fact is that we all do essentially the same job...actually for the same company. Contracts notwithstanding, I can assure you that the loser will be all of us if we don't figure out how to get along and direct management to deal with us all as ONE unit.

Thats really the bottom line here.