Engine Fire on AA Flt 1400!

I overheard my FO talking with a mechanic about it. I didn't hear what they said was the cause, but I heard the FO say, "I wouldn't want to be the last signature in that logbook." Mechanic's response was something like "Boy, don't you know it."

Some poor bastard may be responsible for this incident or may not be...The bottom line is that there is enormous responsibility when working on aircraft and releasing it for flight. Unfortunately, the airlines don't think we should be compensated for it.

Some poor bastard may be responsible for this incident or may not be...The bottom line is that there is enormous responsibility when working on aircraft and releasing it for flight. Unfortunately, the airlines don't think we should be compensated for it.

You are correct about the companies but don't forget the public. But with education anything is possible. WWW.AMTAUSA.COM

Interesting note:

Pratt engines are not an option on the A380 and B787.
Sup wid dat?
B) UT

They're not an option on the 737 or A320, either as far as I remember.

IIRC, on the B787, Boeing wanted common pylons and fittings, which RR and GE agreed to. There was also some question on whether or not the PW4000 design would work, and either PW didn't want to develop yet another widebody engine core or Boeing didn't want to take a risk on a new core. That's not to say that if PW did develop a suitable engine and went with common fittings that Boeing wouldn't certify it. That would make it easy for someone like NW or UA to retrofit their existing 787s with just an engine change and some software updates (yes, I know that's simplistic, but that's the theory behind common connections)

So, PW missed the boat, and is now the fourth place civilian engine manufacturer, behind GE, RR, and IAE.

Interesting note:

Pratt engines are not an option on the A380 and B787.
Sup wid dat?
B) UT

Pratt & Whitney is another case study of a company getting a bit to comfortable with their once dominant position and paying a heavy price for it.

IIRC, on the B787, Boeing wanted common pylons and fittings, which RR and GE agreed to. There was also some question on whether or not the PW4000 design would work, and either PW didn't want to develop yet another widebody engine core or Boeing didn't want to take a risk on a new core. That's not to say that if PW did develop a suitable engine and went with common fittings that Boeing wouldn't certify it. That would make it easy for someone like NW or UA to retrofit their existing 787s with just an engine change and some software updates (yes, I know that's simplistic, but that's the theory behind common connections)

So, PW missed the boat, and is now the fourth place civilian engine manufacturer, behind GE, RR, and IAE.

I agree with what you say, but for the record, the V2500 motor (A319/A320) is Pratt with an IAE sticker on it.
(Not that it matters) :p

B) UT

Interesting that no one has mentioned that PW & GE have a teaming agreement for the engines being built for the 787 and A350...

Interesting that no one has mentioned that PW & GE have a teaming agreement for the engines being built for the 787 and A350...

You must be thinking of the GP7000 used on the A380 which is built by both GE and P&W. P&W is not teamed up with GE on the 787 or A350.

The one showing a fire is a fake, the same picture but not photoshopped is on airliners.net
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/small/9/1/1/0765119.jpg
0765119.jpg