Express performance?

FlyOnWall

Senior
Mar 22, 2004
Does US Airways publish any sort of performance records for on-time departures, customer service etc for the different express carriers? How bad does an express carriers performace have to be before they get the boot? Do they have performance clauses in thier contracts?

I'm just curious as to how all of this works. The whole set-up of paying other airlines guaranteed profit to fly routes is just mind-boggling. I don't see how it's low cost at all... it seems like it's super high cost, sepecially when they don't perform and ruin your product. Now that US Airways Express is much bigger than the actual US Airways, passenger perception is based on how other airlines perform.

Look at Republic right now. You would think such a controversial express carrier that is flying former mainline aircraft and for the first time directly replacing mainline jobs, would really have it's act together, but it seems like thier performance is awful and thier planes are always broken, or cancelled for lack of crew or ferrying around with no passengers... are they still getting paid for all of that?

I'm pretty sure they keep track of the individual express carriers. PSA gives the crews a daily tracking of the same states (except bags) that is published for mainline. Comparing those numbers with what's published on the US daily, it's a pretty clear indication, it's not PSA bringing down the on time or completion factors, more like it's keeping them up

While I'm sure the company has the data on individual Express carrier performance, I haven't seen it made public anywhere.

What is available if anyone wants to go to the time and effort to dig it out is the BTS data submitted by the individual carriers. One would have to download the data, separate out the individual carriers, then separate out the flights operated for US to come up with on-time performance.

Other metrics, such as PAWOB, simply isn't available except for larger Express operators and most of our's aren't large enough to require reporting.

Jim

I can tell you that the few times I have DH on both Republic and Air Wisconson..they have been extensive delays!! It just figures that they were all flights going back to base. Atleast 2-3 hour delays(not weather related either)

I can tell you that the few times I have DH on both Republic and Air Wisconson..they have been extensive delays!! It just figures that they were all flights going back to base. Atleast 2-3 hour delays(not weather related either)

Its not going to matter how Late Air wisconsin may be they are here to stay If you all remember they kindly donated I believe $$$$75 million to this LCC.

From the beginning of March until March 12 of 2006, Republic has reported a 99 percent completion factor and on-time performance of 81 percent. I believe the industry average falls between 78-80 percent.

Its not going to matter how Late Air wisconsin may be they are here to stay If you all remember they kindly donated I believe $$$$75 million to this LCC.
I actually like the Airwisconsin crews..they are all very nice and I feel alot safer flying them than I did Mesa...the flight crews at Mesa were nice too..but the f/a's were scary! I had some terrible and unsafe times non-reving on mesa. So, I am happy that Air Wisconson is here to stay!!!! Now Republic...thats another issue. and that is all i will say. :ph34r:

From the beginning of March until March 12 of 2006, Republic has reported a 99 percent completion factor and on-time performance of 81 percent. I believe the industry average falls between 78-80 percent.

Do you have the results for this week/ last week. No one cares about completion factor... everyone knows that these contractors only get paid if they complete the flight even if it's hours late. It sure seems like most of thier flights have been cancelled this week? whats going on? The gate agents say that Republic just doesn't have crews and the ones they do don't show up on time. Do those results count Chautaqua or just the Republic part?

Air Wisconsin in my limited experience has fantastic crews. Very professional and pleasant. I was also on a Mesa flight recently on a CRJ900... very uncomfortable seats but the flight attendants were actually very nice.
So no one knows if this stuff is published? It would be interesting to see.

So if you had a choice between a Mesa CRJ and a Republic E170 going to the same city, which one would you board? :p

If you are asking a US MDA employee they will tell you they would take a Mesa CRJ any day over a Republic flight. I'm sure that thier dignity is worth a little more than a larger seat.

So if you had a choice between a Mesa CRJ and a Republic E170 going to the same city, which one would you board? :p

i refuse to fly on my plane with replacement flight attendants....its humiliating to even see them i can't even look at them much less get on one of the scab flights I won't deadhead on them or non-rev on them. I will sleep on the crew room couch before I subject myself to that. what a stupid question

Do you have the results for this week/ last week. No one cares about completion factor... everyone knows that these contractors only get paid if they complete the flight even if it's hours late. It sure seems like most of thier flights have been cancelled this week? whats going on? The gate agents say that Republic just doesn't have crews and the ones they do don't show up on time. Do those results count Chautaqua or just the Republic part?

The stats I gave you were for Republic only. I can try to look up Chautauqua if you want. I can't answer the rest of your questions.

I am not knocking agents (I was one), but a lot of times, they do not have the whole story. "They don't show up on time" could be the result of a late arriving in-bound flight (weather, ATC, etc.) or a rest issue from the day before. They aren't necessarily being irresponsible and just not showing up because they don't feel like it.

I probably sound like a smart-alec, but I don't mean to be. I am just trying to give you possible explanations. :)

Very true about agents. Nothing is better than a reserve pilot hustling to the airport in a half an hour only to have the agent get on the PA and say "looks like he finally decided to show up."

It's only completion factor (on-time doesn't apply), and for the entire operation of the various carriers (not just the flights operated for US), and obviously weather comes into play somewhat (look at Mesa's Freedom division vs the rest of Mesa), but here's what was reported to the BTS for the 4th quarter of 2005 (the latest available):

US Mainline (inc. MDA) 98.7%
Freedom (Mesa's HP operation) 98.9%
Trans States 98.8%
Shuttle America 98.3%
Chautaugua 97.7%
PSA 97.4%
Mesa 96.9%
Republic 96.4%
Air Wisconsin 96.3%
Piedmont 95.6%
Colgan 93.7%

Jim

PSA and I belive Piedmont are not paid by completion factor. Becasue these two are wholly owned there is some other magical formula on how they get money but is has never been publicly made available.