F/A Furloughs and How are they Caculated?

"Remember, we had the world's oldest living stewardess more or less forced into retirement 2 years ago, she was 74."

At UAL, we just had a woman retire at the age of 79. She too was forced into retirement. She actually told people that she flew with that she wanted to die on a layover, so that UAL would have to ship her body back.

On another note, I was shocked though to see the low number of retirements at AA. Since 9/11 we have had anywhere from 250 to 300 retirements a month, and they are expecting another 2500 to 3000 by the end of Dec. That might all now change, due to the fact that we just accepted a new T/A. They might all go by June.

----------------
On 4/29/2003 10:59:54 PM gina wrote:

MK:
How did you ever think avoiding BK would save some of our junior jobs for a while? And that attrition thing again. I hope your bubble hasn''t burst. And the majority of leave takers are returning Oct./Nov. to boot. Did you vote "yes" again?

----------------​

I fully expected a July furlough, but I really thought it would be on the order of 300-500. I''m the first to admit I was completely wrong on the magnitude of the layoffs.

But I''ll still stand by my position that avoiding BK is best for all. This furlough is due to the workrule concessions (there would have been huge concessions anyway), the fact that 2200 people on OVL''s will be coming back to the line (or taking leaves with few benefits or quitting) and the overage that already existed.

If this looks bad, imagine what could have happened, or still could happen in a BK. How many more jobs would be lost if the entire Airbus fleet were grounded, for example? And as pissed as we may be about the company training nAAtives to fly LLC aircraft, in a BK they likely would have just dumped the whole fleet on Boeing; something they can''t do out of court. Another thousand or so numbers between you and recall.

Don''t laugh at the power of attrition. It''s one of the only three hopes we have. The other two are the economy and the seniority case. Jane Allen said in her hotline: "This number will be reduced as we take into account those flight attendants who are awarded the new Overage Leaves and Partnership Flying, as well as any flight attendants who decide to retire or resign."

Watch those attrition numbers the next couple of months, gina whoever-you-are. I think you''ll be surprised. For your sake and mine, I hope they keep climbing.

And just for the record, I voted "no."

MK

I agree that staying out of BK is best for everyone. I have heard on the line that people think that UA got a better deal. And that the deal was what they got through a BK judge. Fact is that AFA and UA hammered out the deal before it went to a BK judge. If left to a BK judge they would have lost even more. For those of you out there that think if we would have voted this down and went into BK looking to hammer out another T/A with AA before it went to a BK judge I think you are fooling yourself. If we couldn''t work out a deal now what makes you think that in BK court we could work out something better with the company before it was sent to a judge? Another thing to consider is the protection of our profession. If furloughing more F/A''s protects our wages then that is what I think needs to be done. If I get furloughed (with my 6 yrs) I want a job worth coming back to.

Kirkpatrick,

The number may not be large, but I suspect some of the "married-well" commuters may be resigning now that they have to fly 40hrs in a 4mo period. They can''t drop their entire line anymore.

Of course, they may also be the only ones to take the new OVL...we''ll see.

I''m definitely going to be furloughed, I just want to come back.

Good luck to us all,

Coop

I think attrition will be significant. Just look at the senior TWA people. Furloughed with passes for only 3 months and no insurance. But if they retire they get lifetime passes and insurance.

It won''t happen all at once, but I think attrition will be a major factor in bringing people back.

MK

On the 4m, a flight attendant that went to the retirement seminar today posted that the coordinater indicated that 400 flight attendants have put in for retirement this month alone.

Mark is right about attrition.

>>If I am correct most junior FA''s are already checked out on all the aircraft, yes?

Only on AA metal.

>>Staying out of BK may have bought us juniors a few months.

But the law won''t. The DFR and the rule breaking of APFA will come back to haunt them and you. You JR folk at the non-STL bases have been on borrowed time...your time is up. Good luck.

----------------
On 4/30/2003 11:57:26 PM b727fa wrote:

>>If I am correct most junior FA''s are already checked out on all the aircraft, yes?

Only on AA metal.

----------------​
We are all qualified on the LLC S80''s.

>>now, do we have to take into account the Mostly Dead and the Nearly Dead? y''know the ones, and I just met one last week...

Ah, yes, we''ve all flown with those...no matter what carrier! You say, "ELMA! TIME FOR 2nd COFFEE SERVICE!" and she replies, "Yes, thank you. Two cream, one sugar."

Nooooooooo, your qualified on the transitioned LLC Md80''s, of which I think is 1 a/c at this point. Your 10 minute online "training" isn''t for the planes still on the LLC operating certificate.

----------------
On 4/30/2003 10:08:17 PM s80dude wrote:

On the 4m, a flight attendant that went to the retirement seminar today posted that the coordinater indicated that 400 flight attendants have put in for retirement this month alone.

Mark is right about attrition.

----------------​

Wow...in 1 month we have twice the retirements we had in 10yrs pre-9/11.

BTW, xsqueezeme, as morbid as it was, I truly cracked up at your posts. AAStew was right on in their assessment.

My new joke is recall me at pay step 6, that is convenient for ME.

Even with 9/11, I didn''t think it would get like this. UGLY.

trollydolly-UAL, LOL...we''ve had quite a few die in Europe. I''ve often thought that is the way to go! Logistically, a nightmare if you are minimum crew but it''s much more fabulous to say you died on a layover in London than falling in your own bathtub with no one finding out for days on end. The "glamour" still lurks...

Coop

They have taken just about everything away from us...but your right...
We still have the glamour of "kicking off" while on some exotic layover!
Just try to take that away...just try....
LMAO............

Latest posts