F/A Furloughs and How are they Caculated?

----------------
On 5/2/2003 2:50:43 AM AC AA LA FA wrote:

They have taken just about everything away from us...but your right...
We still have the glamour of "kicking off" while on some exotic layover!
Just try to take that away...just try....
LMAO............

----------------​

Actually, THAT was worth $6 million in our "Industry Leading" contract but it was only worth $2 million in our concessions!

Coop

----------------
On 4/30/2003 9:23:02 PM kirkpatrick wrote:

I think attrition will be significant. Just look at the senior TWA people. Furloughed with passes for only 3 months and no insurance. But if they retire they get lifetime passes and insurance.

MK

----------------​

I assume that all the TWA FAs were given 60 warning notices of possible layoff in the last few days. Can folks in this situation opt to retire rather than being laid off?

----------------
On 5/5/2003 12:32:48 PM nyc6035 wrote:

I assume that all the TWA FAs were given 60 warning notices of possible layoff in the last few days. Can folks in this situation opt to retire rather than being laid off?

----------------​
Flight attendants who are fifty five years old and who have worked for a combined total of fifteen years at TWA and AA can opt for early retirement. They will get to keep the medical insurance and the travel passes. However, because they have only been covered by the American Airlines pension system since January 1, 2002, they will be able to collect only a handful of dollars from that system to supplement what they will be receiving from the PBGC which is administering the TWA pensions which were frozen in 1993.

Those who have the fifteen years in and who will turn fifty-five during the five years that they are entitled to be recalled to work, even if they are not called back, will be able to retire from furlough and receive those benefits back when they reach that age.

All those who are younger than fifty at the time of their furlough are out of luck and will not be able to retire unless they are called back before their recall rights expire.

----------------
On 5/1/2003 12:03:48 AM TWAB717 wrote:

Nooooooooo, your qualified on the transitioned LLC Md80's, of which I think is 1 a/c at this point. Your 10 minute online "training" isn't for the planes still on the LLC operating certificate.

----------------​

Not sure about the actual # of LLC a/c already across the fence but according to management the cross training to LLC a/c that have not crossed the fence should be short ( I think a week or so) They have told us they have recieved FAA approval already for this training. I think when we see the pilot shuffle in a few weeks we will have a better idea on how the f/a assignments will go.

This is what Jane Allen wrote in her hotline which was emailed on April 29, 2003:

Flight attendants who transfer to STL will need to undergo an FAA-approved training program to allow them to work on TWA aircraft. While we have aligned TWA LLC policies and procedures with AA’s to the extent possible, there are still material differences on which flight attendants must be trained, in addition to basic indoctrination hours required by the FAA. The training program is 8 days in length, one day of which is a duty-free period. Training will be conducted at FlagShip University in DFW and will start as early as the week of May 19, with several classes starting each week. Flight attendants attending training in May will be paid on a trips-missed basis for May and will paper bid for the contractual month of June. They will resume active flying in STL during the contractual month of July. Training classes will be assigned in seniority order.

A careful reading reveals that once the nAAtives are trained to staff TWA LLC planes, they will not be permitted to work on equipment flying under the AA operating certificate. Why else would they be paid on a trip missed basis for May and paper bid for the contractual month of July?

For those of you who are not familiar with the terminology, the flight attendants who are transferring to STL will be paid not to work for the balance of May and the full month of June. Perhaps this is why the union was so eager to do away with furlough pay.

----------------
On 5/6/2003 10:55:20 AM TWAnr wrote:

For those of you who are not familiar with the terminology, the flight attendants who are transferring to STL will be paid not to work for the balance of May and the full month of June. Perhaps this is why the union was so eager to do away with furlough pay.

----------------​

I don't think our union was " Eager" to do away with anything from our contract. Believe it or not no one wants to take a pay cut or have 5000 furloughs. I for one wish that no one had to lose their job, yes that includes the STL base.

----------------
On 5/5/2003 5:03:41 PM TWAnr wrote:

Flight attendants who are fifty five years old and who have worked for a combined total of fifteen years at TWA and AA can opt for early retirement. They will get to keep the medical insurance and the travel passes. However, because they have only been covered by the American Airlines pension system since January 1, 2002, they will be able to collect only a handful of dollars from that system to supplement what they will be receiving from the PBGC which is administering the TWA pensions which were frozen in 1993.

----------------​

I''m told there are about 750 flight attendants who fall into the 55+&15 category, and another 600 or so who fall into the 50-55&15 category...

----------------
On 5/6/2003 12:32:22 PM flydcoop wrote:

Thank-you, TWAnr,

That answers many questions of "why not retire?". Pension frozen in 1993...EEK.

Retiring now is not pretty...even with nAAtives.
----------------​
Still more evidence of the very real pain that bankruptcy can (and usually does) inflict on the working men and women. Not being in bankruptcy is a very good thing - despite what the bankruptcy-mongers keep saying.

----------------

----------------

I assume that all the TWA FAs were given 60 warning notices of possible layoff in the last few days.  Can folks in this situation opt to retire rather than being laid off?

----------------​
Flight attendants who are fifty five years old and who have worked for a combined total of fifteen years at TWA and AA can opt for early retirement. They will get to keep the medical insurance and the travel passes. However, because they have only been covered by the American Airlines pension system since January 1, 2002, they will be able to collect only a handful of dollars from that system to supplement what they will be receiving from the PBGC which is administering the TWA pensions which were frozen in 1993.

Those who have the fifteen years in and who will turn fifty-five during the five years that they are entitled to be recalled to work, even if they are not called back, will be able to retire from furlough and receive those benefits back when they reach that age.

All those who are younger than fifty at the time of their furlough are out of luck and will not be able to retire unless they are called back before their recall rights expire.

----------------​

Thank-you, TWAnr,

This whole thing stinks. Got my letter

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Good luck to us ALL,

Coop

----------------

----------------

I assume that all the TWA FAs were given 60 warning notices of possible layoff in the last few days.  Can folks in this situation opt to retire rather than being laid off?

----------------​

All those who are younger than fifty at the time of their furlough are out of luck and will not be able to retire unless they are called back before their recall rights expire.

----------------​

Thank-you, TWAnr,

This whole thing stinks. Got my letter

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Good luck to us ALL,

Coop