F/A Policy on sitting in F/A seat

night-ice

Senior
Aug 30, 2002
Was on a flight this weekend that was barely half-full. Once the door closed, the F/A announced that we could move around to an open seat if we wanted. Naturally, myself and my partner moved up to the front row so we could get off quicker upon landing. The F/A immediately stopped me and said "No, that's mine, you'll have to move". (Now we're not talking about the f/a seat behind the cockpit..this is the first row of the aircraft).

So, I moved to a different seat. 1) I thought f/a policy was the seat behind the cockpit is there for a reason..to be used by the f/a. 2) It was pretty selfish of her to act that way.
however, she did sit in her f/a seat during take-off and landing; the rest of the time, she was in the seat I tried to sit in.
Would someone care to clarify what the policy is on this procedure?

Was on a flight this weekend that was barely half-full. Once the door closed, the F/A announced that we could move around to an open seat if we wanted. Naturally, myself and my partner moved up to the front row so we could get off quicker upon landing. The F/A immediately stopped me and said "No, that's mine, you'll have to move". (Now we're not talking about the f/a seat behind the cockpit..this is the first row of the aircraft).

So, I moved to a different seat. 1) I thought f/a policy was the seat behind the cockpit is there for a reason..to be used by the f/a. 2) It was pretty selfish of her to act that way.
however, she did sit in her f/a seat during take-off and landing; the rest of the time, she was in the seat I tried to sit in.
Would someone care to clarify what the policy is on this procedure?

Absolutely no way should she have asked you to move seats...that seat was in no way hers and she should be reminded of that. Policy states that FA's are not to sit in pax seat at anytime during flight, its this way in the west, but don't know exactly where that policy is headed. For transatlantic flights, the rules differ, however specific seats are set aside for crew rest.

I'm assuming that this was an Express flight since passengers would probably not be invited to move to F/C (row 1) if they desired. Like any flight, the specific carrier's policy would be all that matters, so it would probably be helpful to indicate which carrier. That way someone familiar with those policy's could answer.

Jim

well technically she was wrong. we are not allowed to block seats for f/a use . but you had your own seat . we just want to have some space to ourselves during the flt if the flt is not full. those jumpseats can be a little uncomfortable on a long flt. there is a nice way to ask a passenger to relocate. but the policy is not to block a passenger seat for f/a use. it is only allowed on intl flts for crew rest. hope this helps.

Absolutely no way should she have asked you to move seats...that seat was in no way hers and she should be reminded of that. Policy states that FA's are not to sit in pax seat at anytime during flight, its this way in the west, but don't know exactly where that policy is headed. For transatlantic flights, the rules differ, however specific seats are set aside for crew rest.
You guys out west aren't allowed to sit in a pax seat during flight? That's absurd! On the east side, the agents will block the last row if the flight isn't heavy so the FAs have a place to sit after the service is over. Especially helpfull on longer flights. Those jumpseats are way too uncomfortable and the galleys on the airbus are freezing. Sometimes if the flight is really light pax will try to move to the last row to sleep and I will move them. I always tell them these are for crew. Because the flights are so heavy, getting the last row is rare. But when we can get these seats, I have no problem blocking this row. Like transatlantic, crew seats should also be made available trans-con. Not much difference if you ask me.

You guys out west aren't allowed to sit in a pax seat during flight? That's absurd! On the east side, the agents will block the last row if the flight isn't heavy so the FAs have a place to sit after the service is over. Especially helpfull on longer flights. Those jumpseats are way too uncomfortable and the galleys on the airbus are freezing. Sometimes if the flight is really light pax will try to move to the last row to sleep and I will move them. I always tell them these are for crew. Because the flights are so heavy, getting the last row is rare. But when we can get these seats, I have no problem blocking this row. Like transatlantic, crew seats should also be made available trans-con. Not much difference if you ask me.
Yes, it was an express flight.. PSA. It was at the front of the aircraft, not the back.
I just thought it was pretty rude, especially since she clearly announced that we could take any open seat. The flight was not long enough for beverage service, either, so she just sat and read a book the entire time. Is this the norm? I wanted to "remind" her that f/a's normally face the pax, not the other way around, but I wanted to get home!

True, but a f/a should not ask, or worse, "demand" a pax to sit somewhere else because that particular seat is for you (an employee who is to be working the flight).

A f/a can take an empty seat, but not shove a pax to another row or seat for f/a convenience. Her behavior is not the norm, nor the rudeness.

Uh, that's just not customer service. Period.

Well, so far it appears we don't have anyone from PSA to discuss whether a F/A sitting in a empty "regular" seat conforms to their policy or not. I would doubt that the rudeness and reading a book (not the F/A manual, huh) would conform to PSA's policy.

Jim

what else do you think you are entitled to take away from the paying customers? :rolleyes: Or, is this done under the guise of SAFETY? :rolleyes:

ONE ?- WAS THE F/A JUMPSEAT MEL'D......IF IT WAS THE SEAT IN THE FIRST ROW COULD HAVE BEEN FOR F/A USE ONLY. RARE BUT IT DOES HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE ?- WAS THE F/A JUMPSEAT MEL'D......IF IT WAS THE SEAT IN THE FIRST ROW COULD HAVE BEEN FOR F/A USE ONLY. RARE BUT IT DOES HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!
She was the only f/a on there..at least in uniform. No, the book she was reading was not a PSA policy manual :rolleyes:

what else do you think you are entitled to take away from the paying customers? :rolleyes: Or, is this done under the guise of SAFETY? :rolleyes:
We take away nothing.. If the pax was not assigned to the last row, then I have no problem asking them, very politely, to sit elsewhere. Like where they were assigned. Flight crew is not asking for much here. Any flight over 3 hours is too long to sit on a jump seat. So if we have a chance to get the last row, you bet we'll take advantage of the situation.

Hey, at least it's only 3/6 seats LOL.....

Back in the "olden days" on the 727-200 there was the "crew lounge" :up: in the back behind the 2R door beside the aft galley. My memory is getting fuzzy - anyone remember if that was 9 seats or 12?

Jim