F/A Policy on sitting in F/A seat

Are you scoping them out to see what life will be like again on the DC-9 post-purchase by US?
Not this time, but NW 9s have great F seats. There’s a footrest that folds down and an adjustable headrest.

I was talking to a NW pilot at a party last weekend; he thinks they’re going to be phased out in a few years. So by the time the dust settles post-merger, they’ll be gone.

above 1D,

Today is the 5th anniversary of 911. You should be thankful that people are still willing to be pilots and FA's. If the worst thing that ever happened to you on a plane was you didn't get the seat you wanted or didn't get enough free minis, you are truly blessed.

Well, I'll shut up. B)
This just put matters in its proper persepctive.

yeah, last time i checked. the pax pays for one assigned seat.

No, the passenger pays for one seat, period. It can be in the first row of a CRJ if it's open, which it was in this case. Seat assignments are merely a "courtesy" (though sometimes a curse, like in this case). I'm not in kindergarten and don't appreciate being instructed to sit in a particular seat by a finger-wagging matron.

Speaking of paying for seats, how many seats did the flight attendant pay for? That would be zero! If I were in charge, flight attendants would be prohibited from sitting in a passenger seat regardless of the length of flight and load (excepting crew rest on transatlantic flights, but those would be blocked anyway). Then again, if I were in charge, the flight attendants wouldn't have time to sit in a passenger seat because they would actually be working during the flight; I know, such a foreign concept.

No, passengers never let us forget it is all about them. I've had passengers ask for my lunch, my blanket, my book, my magazine, my Dr. Pepper...I learned not to commute in uniform. It's scary, put on the blue dress and all rights to personal space and property must be totally surrendered.

Duh. Passengers can't read your mind and know that you are commuting.

Today is the 5th anniversary of 911. You should be thankful that people are still willing to be pilots and FA's. If the worst thing that ever happened to you on a plane was you didn't get the seat you wanted or didn't get enough free minis, you are truly blessed.

Actually, I'm not thankful for having paranoid pilots who divert flights for stupid reasons and flight attendants who treat the paying customers like dogs. :down:

[quote name='JS' date='Sep 12 2006, 09:49 AM' post='414600'
"Seat assignments are merely a courtsey"

Gee, I guess I would be more "courteous" if I ignored the manufactuers weight and balance requirements. Why should I ask a paying customer to sit in the front or back or every other row of a half empty plane for take off....
silly me! Falling out of the air at the end of the runway
is such a small price to pay for a customer to be happy on his last flight.

"Duh. Passengers can't read your mind and know that you are commuting."

I guess they don't understand, "I'm off work and going home now." I can always get my deceased Granny to knit me another lap blanket... anything for that poor, chilly, ticket holding passenger, dressed in a tank top, daisy dukes and flipflops. I'm sure she thinks we serve all of our coach passengers meals in Tupperware.

"Actually, I'm not thankful for having paranoid pilots who divert flights for stupid reasons and flight attendants who treat the paying customers like dogs. :down:"

You should be thankful there are not a lot more flights diverting due to passengers who think the new security messures apply to everyone, except them. We do not make the law.

We have had tons of passengers with air rage, I'm surprised we've never had an FA go postal.
I had a lady poke me repeatedly with her reading glasses, "Can I get some coffee?" All she had to do was speak, if I'm close enough to poke, I'm close enough to hear you. I've had the pockets and sleaves of my uniform torn by passengers grabbing me as I walked by. DUH! When is it ever acceptable to poke or grab anyone? It's not easy to be nice to someone who just left three bruises on your side, over the cup he's had stuffed in a seatpocket for most of the flight. Showing him where the call bell is located and asking him to please use it if he needs anything else is insulting and rude. How dare I refuse to be battered! What a snippy little witch I must be! His ticket entitles him to poke me, grab me or even slap my pregnant coworker... if I don't understand that, I need to look for a new job.

No, the passenger pays for one seat, period. It can be in the first row of a CRJ if it's open, which it was in this case. Seat assignments are merely a "courtesy" (though sometimes a curse, like in this case). I'm not in kindergarten and don't appreciate being instructed to sit in a particular seat by a finger-wagging matron.

Speaking of paying for seats, how many seats did the flight attendant pay for? That would be zero! If I were in charge, flight attendants would be prohibited from sitting in a passenger seat regardless of the length of flight and load (excepting crew rest on transatlantic flights, but those would be blocked anyway). Then again, if I were in charge, the flight attendants wouldn't have time to sit in a passenger seat because they would actually be working during the flight; I know, such a foreign concept.
Duh. Passengers can't read your mind and know that you are commuting.
Actually, I'm not thankful for having paranoid pilots who divert flights for stupid reasons and flight attendants who treat the paying customers like dogs. :down:
It's really none of your business about where flight attendants sit on the aircraft. As far as inflight service is concerned, US decides the product. I will offer what and as many drink/meal services they wish. At this point in the game, on a trans-con flight, only 2 full beverage services and coffeee and water are procedure in coach along with BOB.

Then again, if I were in charge, the flight attendants wouldn't have time to sit in a passenger seat because they would actually be working during the flight; I know, such a foreign concept.

sky high states: Here's YOUR foreign concept. Airlines compete on cost, not on service anymore. Imagine that, your ticket is cheaper today then it was 30 years ago. US Flight Attendants have been some of the most productive crews in the industry. Look back when Service was "Full".
They worked their asses off. PIT to PHL, a HOT TRAY SERVICE. PIT to ORD, ALL Florida flights, Texas Flights had meals. And Transcon flights had Ice cream, multiple beverage services, mints, hot towels.
So, the next time you see a flight attendant NOT working, its because YOU value your CHEAP TICKET and they've DONE THE SERVICE (as per the company) REQUIRED OF THEM.

only posting an opinion

sky high states: Paranoid? How about privileged to work with SAFETY PROFESSIONALS who's mantra is: Better safe then sorry.

Nice try, JS.
<waving treat over head>...Come on, boy! Catch!

an opinion only.

Gee, what would happen if some non-paranoid pilot didn't divert, you were on the plane and something bad happened. You, or your survivors, would be likely be hopping on the legal compensation bandwagon because some pilot made a wrong decision that needed a little more paranoia on his part.

I agree. People moan and whine about inconvenience but there is no bigger inconvenience than being blown up. This is our life. Blame the terrorists.

sky high states: Here's YOUR foreign concept. Airlines compete on cost, not on service anymore. Imagine that, your ticket is cheaper today then it was 30 years ago. US Flight Attendants have been some of the most productive crews in the industry. Look back when Service was "Full".
They worked their asses off. PIT to PHL, a HOT TRAY SERVICE. PIT to ORD, ALL Florida flights, Texas Flights had meals. And Transcon flights had Ice cream, multiple beverage services, mints, hot towels.
So, the next time you see a flight attendant NOT working, its because YOU value your CHEAP TICKET and they've DONE THE SERVICE (as per the company) REQUIRED OF THEM.
only posting an opinion

I agree that the competition on ticket prices is responsible for driving down the flight attendant staffing to FAA minimums.

The point is that whether there are three flight attendants or six, they should be working during the flight, not booting passengers out of passenger seats so they can sit and read.

Obviously FAA minimums do not allow for a hot breakfast to be served from PIT to PHL, but there is no excuse for skipping the entire service (not even water) on a relatively short flight, such as the one that started this thread.

I'm aware that management defines the service, so I'm not blaming the individual flight attendants for not doing a beverage service when the flight doesn't call for one. My complaint is when you people are rude to customers and overreact to innocuous household items (like a bottle of water).

It's clear that some people love to use their power and divert the flight while others are able to distinguish between a common household object and something suspicious. Otherwise, every single flight would be diverted. Only a moron would think that a ban on all liquids/gels/pastes/gel-like materials/potential liquids (like ice)/etc. is 100% effective. Even something as relatively simple as a gun on the X-ray image is missed by a sickening margin (25% is what I read).

Why do you think passengers love flying JetBlue and Southwest? It's certainly not because of their generous frequent flyer programs (they have one but it's not generous at all). It's not because of the complimentary upgrades to First Class; they don't have First Class.

People like flying B6 and WN because they are greeted with a smile and cheerfully served a beverage and a snack on every flight.

In an industry where the prices and equipment are basically the same among all the providers, service is the only distinguishing characteristic. Today's crummy service by the legacy airlines is a combination of poor management and jaded employees. I am merely pointing out this basic fact of business -- as a legacy carrier employee, whether you choose to act on it and make the best of a bad situation or wallow in your own self-pity and push customers around like prisoners is up to YOU.

I agree. People moan and whine about inconvenience but there is no bigger inconvenience than being blown up. This is our life. Blame the terrorists.

Actually, it was Comrade Chertoff and Half-wit Hawley that ordered planes to be dry, not the terrorists. Granted, the terrorists started it with their pie-in-the-sky plan to blow up planes using liquid explosives, but it was our great leaders that actually executed the plan to terrorize Americans.

Don't you think it's odd that up to August 9, 2006, no one freaked out if another passenger took a swig of water from a home-bought bottle? Suddenly it's a dangerous thing to do. Clearly the laws of physics have not changed; it is the attitude of the populace, egged on by Bush and his cronies, that has changed this once-proud nation into a bunch of fear-ridden idiots.

The sky is falling! Aaaahhhh!

Latest posts