F/A Policy on sitting in F/A seat

Was on a flight this weekend that was barely half-full. Once the door closed, the F/A announced that we could move around to an open seat if we wanted. Naturally, myself and my partner moved up to the front row so we could get off quicker upon landing. The F/A immediately stopped me and said "No, that's mine, you'll have to move". (Now we're not talking about the f/a seat behind the cockpit..this is the first row of the aircraft).

So, I moved to a different seat. 1) I thought f/a policy was the seat behind the cockpit is there for a reason..to be used by the f/a. 2) It was pretty selfish of her to act that way.
however, she did sit in her f/a seat during take-off and landing; the rest of the time, she was in the seat I tried to sit in.
Would someone care to clarify what the policy is on this procedure?

WAS THE F/A SEAT (JUMPSEAT) BROKEN (MEL'D)...IF SO THE SEAT IN THE FIRST ROW WOULD BE HERS.

The West IOM had it clearly spelled out that working crew were never to occupy a passenger seat. The only exception was if the FA's jumpseat was broken or MEL'd and then the FA was assigned the passenger seat closest to the FA's assigned door. If East or Express has a different rule then so be it. I can't agree with any scenario where a FA takes a passnger seat or a passenger row for themselves other then the broken jumpseat or some kind of medical emergency where you need to be right next to the ill passenger.

The West IOM had it clearly spelled out that working crew were never to occupy a passenger seat. The only exception was if the FA's jumpseat was broken or MEL'd and then the FA was assigned the passenger seat closest to the FA's assigned door. If East or Express has a different rule then so be it. I can't agree with any scenario where a FA takes a passnger seat or a passenger row for themselves other then the broken jumpseat or some kind of medical emergency where you need to be right next to the ill passenger.
So, on red eye flights only that are wide open, you guys sit on your jump seats for the entire flight, lol?

yes, I'm sure it is all about YOU...don't forget that the customers are paying to be on that plane

No, passengers never let us forget it is all about them. I've had passengers ask for my lunch, my blanket, my book, my magazine, my Dr. Pepper...I learned not to commute in uniform. It's scary, put on the blue dress and all rights to personal space and property must be totally surrendered.

Passengers remind us constantly that they have purchased a ticket. When 18F places his oversize rollerboard above 1D,
you can bet 18F's ticket entitles him to place his bag anywhere he wants. You must know, if you have read any of the posts by elites that their ticket+status allows them to do whatever they please. "I am a chairman's preferred!"
If I had a nickle for every time I heard that last sentence, I'd make Bill Gates look like a pauper.

Today is the 5th anniversary of 911. You should be thankful that people are still willing to be pilots and FA's. If the worst thing that ever happened to you on a plane was you didn't get the seat you wanted or didn't get enough free minis, you are truly blessed.

So, on red eye flights only that are wide open, you guys sit on your jump seats for the entire flight, lol?

Yes, I actually did. However, most of our red-eyes were pretty full. The only one that was routinely pretty empty was a late night flight to SMF where we would often have less the 10 pax. The LAS redeyes would usually be 85+% full.

I've worked a number of LAS-PHL red-eyes where a crew bed was made in the 757 rear galley. NO JOKE!! A cart would be laid on its side and covered with blankets and pillows. I was shocked the first time I saw this. :shock: :shock: And blocking the last row on an empty flight? That's SOP. We just don't advertise it.

WAS THE F/A SEAT (JUMPSEAT) BROKEN (MEL'D)...IF SO THE SEAT IN THE FIRST ROW WOULD BE HERS.
No, the seat was not broken, torn or otherwise...just in good working condition....she sat in it during takeoff and landing ONLY. For the short duration of the flight (-30 minutes)she didn't even get up, just read some novel.

Clarification... it would be hers FOR LANDING, if there were empty PAX seats where the PAX could be relocated.

When's the last time you were on a red-eye that was wide open? The ones I take are all packed to the gills.

Clarification... it would be hers FOR LANDING, if there were empty PAX seats where the PAX could be relocated.
When's the last time you were on a red-eye that was wide open? The ones I take are all packed to the gills.
If it (the FA J/S) where MEL'd then a PAX would never have been assigned to the seat that the FA would use ...they would have to block it...so no PAX to re-seat.