FA's urging Obama on NMB

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
AA flight attendant union urges Obama to change mediation board
Terry Maxon

Laura Glading, president of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, has sent a letter to President Barack Obama asking him to change the members of the National Mediation Board.

In particular, she asked President Obama to replace the board chairwoman, "who has long overstayed her term, and her welcome."

Since last summer, the APFA and American Airlines have been in negotiations for a new contract. The NMB named a mediator to help in those talks in late December.

Glading said the NMB "still carries the Bush-era anti-worker stamp that marked his presidency. The consistent decisions by the NMB favoring management have had a debilitating effect on workers in our industry."

Airline unions are hoping that with Obama appointees, the NMB will shorten the time spent in mediation and let unions increase pressure on airlines.

For the full letter, keep reading.

March 5, 2009

His Excellency Barack H. Obama
President of the United States
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, D.C.

Dear President Obama:

I am writing to appeal to you for quick action on a matter of critical concern to employees at American Airlines, and for many other middle-class workers across the country dependent on the rulings of federal agencies that have been severely tilted to favor management against employees.

I am speaking specifically of the National Mediation Board, which still carries the Bush-era anti-worker stamp that marked his presidency. The consistent decisions by the NMB favoring management have had a debilitating effect on workers in our industry.

Our members, flight attendants at American Airlines, have suffered deep cuts in wages, benefits and working conditions over the past eight years and with the NMB stacked against us, have little chance to recoup those losses. We urge you to quickly appoint a new member of the Board to replace Chairman Read Van de Water, who has long overstayed her term, and her welcome.

Our union knows there are several qualified candidates to fill this role, advanced by our union and others in the transportation industry. I am not writing in support of any one candidate but to simply urge you to make your selection quickly.

The American flight attendants, represented by the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, the American pilots, represented by the Airline Pilots Association, and the American ground workers, represented by Transport Workers Union, are now in federal mediation, after months of fruitless bargaining. But as long as the Bush NMB lineup is in place, management has little reason to cooperate under the mediated talks.

I realize there are many demands on you during these early months of your Administration, and have been cheered by many of your decisions thus far.
Your appointment of a competent member of the NMB will have tremendous impact on the ability of workers to bargain for good pay and benefits, and restore the middle class in the United States.

Thank you for your consideration.

Laura R.Glading
President
Association of Professional Flight Attendants

What kind of dork addresses the President as "His Excellency?"

From 1891:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...96E9C94609ED7CF

I agree. She has obtained major "Dork" status, although the message is dead on.

It's almost as if she thinks "General Zod" is now President after kicking Bush out of the White House (Superman II). Maybe she watched it too many times as I have :p

305_1.jpg

Who knows, maybe APFA will own Australia soon. :rolleyes:

Who cares about that... Looks like a good move to get things rolling in the right directions...

Who cares about that? I do. If you don't, I'm OK with that.

When you write a letter to someone, you ought not begin the letter with something that detracts from your message. When that someone is the President of the United States and you're begging for him to take quick action you think will benefit you, why not avoid branding yourself as an uneducated buffoon as she did? No need to look like such a doofus - most children learn how to write letters to elected leaders in grade school - at least I did.

I just went to the Dallas Morning News to find this story, and the comments there mention something I overlooked: the APA is (of course) the ALLIED Pilots Asscociation, not the AIRLINE Pilots Assciation as she wrote to Obama. One of the comments notes how in so doing, she just pissed off 12,000 professional pilots. Good going, Madame President Exalted Leader Her Highness Ms Glading. :D

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archive...union-urge.html

I support everyone's efforts to negotiate what they can from AA. For far too long, your negotiators (at all three unions) have been miserable failures. But does anyone really believe that replacing one woman on the National Mediation Board will make any noticable difference? Seriously?

Thinking that replacing a member of the NMB is gonna make a difference is just a little too childlike for my tastes. Not unlike the proliferation of bag tags and catchy (but impotent) slogans. If I were paying dues to her out of my paycheck, I'd be disappointed, as I don't think this embarrasing letter has any chance of leading to higher pay, more favorable work rules or better benefits. I would have expected better.

When you write a letter to someone, you ought not begin the letter with something that detracts from your message. When that someone is the President of the United States and you're begging for him to take quick action you think will benefit you, why not avoid branding yourself as an uneducated buffoon as she did? No need to look like such a doofus - most children learn how to write letters to elected leaders in grade school - at least I did.

I just went to the Dallas Morning News to find this story, and the comments there mention something I overlooked: the APA is (of course) the ALLIED Pilots Asscociation, not the AIRLINE Pilots Assciation as she wrote to Obama. One of the comments notes how in so doing, she just pissed off 12,000 professional pilots. Good going, Madame President Exalted Leader Her Highness Ms Glading. :D

I support everyone's efforts to negotiate what they can from AA. For far too long, your negotiators (at all three unions) have been miserable failures. But does anyone really believe that replacing one woman on the National Mediation Board will make any noticable difference? Seriously?

Thinking that replacing a member of the NMB is gonna make a difference is just a little too childlike for my tastes. Not unlike the proliferation of bag tags and catchy (but impotent) slogans. If I were paying dues to her out of my paycheck, I'd be disappointed, as I don't think this embarrasing letter has any chance of leading to higher pay, more favorable work rules or better benefits. I would have expected better.
Please..... You're reading too much into it... It's not the worst thing to call him.... he may like it!!!!

I am a dues paying member and I applaud this letter and don't think the letter is embarrasing at all. We pay the union to represent our interest regarding labor issues and I don't think that asking the President to appoint a more labor friendly board is childlike in the least. I think your using the world childlike in your description of this letter somehow smacks of thinking that all flight attendants and APFA are bunch of frail, immature, doormat girls. I beg to differ.

FWAAA:

That's not a detraction, in my opinion; rather, it's more of an insult, an echo of the totally pro Republican type (NOT conservative) on the Wall Street Journal's online site (and many others) and their feelings toward a President that's obviously kinda different from them.

I'm having a difficult time time of it believing that "addition" wasn't placed there by someone along the line but if Glading actually wrote that, she should immediately be removed from her position due to her extreme stupidity. That kind of dumbass isn't fixable.

Glading isn't the brightest bulb in the pack if she thinks replacing one or even all three board members of the NMB will do a whole lot of good.

It's certainly not going to sway the 50+ people who do the real work. Do you really think Denise Hedges is swayed by Read's political leanings? Do you really think that Read gets to make the decisions on who gets hired as a mediator?

It's almost as laughable as believing that Arpey signs off on who's going to be the shift manager for a hub or the GM of a small city...

It may not make any difference in reality. But isn't better to do something rather than nothing? If they can't get a better deal she can always point out and say part of the reason is the NMB is still stacked with bush cronies.

First off, Your Excellency is only used as a term of address to foreign ambassadors, Secretaries of State (and equivalents from other countries). The last time the term was even mentioned that I know of was during Nixon's administration when Henry Kissinger moved from White House Foreign Policy advisor to Secretary of State.

At his first State press conference, one of the reporters who knew him well asked, "Henry, now that you are officially the Secretary of State, how do we address you?"

Kissinger replied, "Oh, I don't believe in standing on ceremony. Your Excellency will do." (And, he meant it as a joke.)

Excellency is a formality left over from our European monarchical heritage. I'm not even sure they use the term much in Great Britain anymore.

Latest posts