FA's urging Obama on NMB

...humm..I don't remember AA Management having the last say in November of 93...????
Very true in deed..... but at that point we (APFA) had the upper hand. How often are we in that position ???
Most cases we are not ..... it's too bad.....
Who knows maybe we'll be there again sometime soon.......

you sound like your already defeated.
Truth is, nobody knows what the future holds for us collectivly,or where we might End Up..nobody. The only thing we can do is gather our collective strength and move forward in unity.

Why all the distractions like this? I am starting to get suspicious. Seems like a lot of tantrum throwing considering we have the youngest negotiations of the three groups. I'd rather Laura and her team stay focused on the job at hand. Leave the politics to the idiots in DC.

Keep in mind, negotiations are not happening everyday, and have weeks at a time with no meetings. Also the president is who all the individual negotiators report to. I dont know she is running it, but it is likely she is not doing any of the face to face at this time. She sets the tone and the limits, what we push for and what we are willing to let slide for one thing or another.

you sound like your already defeated.
Truth is, nobody knows what the future holds for us collectivly,or where we might End Up..nobody. The only thing we can do is gather our collective strength and move forward in unity.
Yes and that's the only way we will get anything..... Being Unified and standing strong as one.... I just hope we can get everyone on board to do so..... Keep pressing on and spead the word of unity...

And all we see is a negotiating committee that keeps conjuring headcount reduction ideas, such as the VTF, as trade offs for improvements they want in the next contract.
The VTF is being offtered in all work groups to save jobs.... Plus APFA is doing what it can under these economic hard times. I just wonder how the former TWA union (IAM) would be handling these difficult times.

The VTF is being offtered in all work groups to save jobs.... Plus APFA is doing what it can under these economic hard times. I just wonder how the former TWA union (IAM) would be handling these difficult times.

LOL...with all of that IAM "clout", how could you ask such a question? Answer, nothing. They would be parading around in their satin jackets, puffing out their manly chests (and that is just the women General Chairs) and talking about what they were going to do. Now a STRONG independent union would be preparing their workers to work to rule..the "rules" are establiched by the company, ergo no discipline can occur. They would be educating the workers on contract and taking the current contract and disecting it (apart) line by line to rewrite. There are many, many ways that the APFA contract could be more cost effective yet f/a friendly. Actually, this should have been done back in TH-Bs day to prepare. There were several of us who VOLUNTEERED to do this very task along with a side by side analysis of the other majors agreements. The ultimate cherry picking. And then educate, educate, educate..

I would have loved to have a group of planners/schedulers get together and put together their wish list of how the operation could run more effectively from their poit of view.....no management involed to interject their opinions. Nothing binding of course. Just an honest look at the realities.

VTF, save jobs? How? Are you thinking of the buy-out? VTF is the reserve trial.

The VTF is being offtered in all work groups to save jobs....
No, that is the VBR, the Voluntary Bridge to Retirement.

VTF is the Volunteer to Fly test which is expected to reduce the number of f/a's on reserve each month. As a result, the overall headcount will be reduced and even more f/a's at the bottom of the seniority list will be out on the street.

No, that is the VBR, the Voluntary Bridge to Retirement.

VTF is the Volunteer to Fly test which is expected to reduce the number of f/a's on reserve each month. As a result, the overall headcount will be reduced and even more f/a's at the bottom of the seniority list will be out on the street.
Oh Sorry... I confused the two.... I had VBR on the brain.... I guess only time will tell how this will all pan out. But I cant see APFA going for some deal where we lose jobs...

Oh Sorry... I confused the two.... I had VBR on the brain.... I guess only time will tell how this will all pan out. But I cant see APFA going for some deal where we lose jobs...

You already have....they're called furlough notices that just went out.

Maark, the APFA only looks at how senior the reserve list goes at DFW-D. (I heard it went to 25 years in December.) The VTF is intended to "reduce the number of people on reserve"--translated into the English, reduce the seniority of those on reserve. The problem is that the APFA does not tend to look one inch further than making the senior people at DFW happy.

We have reserves and availability people sitting around doing nothing because there are no open trips for them to fly. DFW-D reserves flew an average of 35 hours each last month, but got paid for 75 hours. If the few trips in Open Time go to senior people on the VTF list, there will be even less flying for those people on reserve/availability.

If the problem were only that the Reserve list is more senior because we are not hiring or recalling, this might be a solution. But, the main problem is not the seniority of the Reserve list, the problem is that the company is reducing flying and capacity and there is already nothing for the Reserves/availability people to fly. The only solution to that problem is either increase capacity/flying or reduce the total number of flight attendants--i.e., furlough. (Well, there are other options, such as buyouts to get senior people to retire, but we both know that is not going to happen at AA.)

APFA also has not thought through the fact that if more junior people are furloughed, then despite the VTF, the reserve list will go more senior once again because the formerly "more senior" are now "more junior"--there being no one beneath them on the active list.

I can't believe the APFA could say with a straight face that "this will be an opportunity for people on Reserve to earn money above their guarantees." No, they won't. The VTF list is populated by seniority with a limited number of people on the list each day in each base. What do you think the chances of someone making it onto that list who is also junior enough to be on reserve? Senior people are not dumb. They can see that most days there's almost nothing in Open Time. They can put themselves on the VTF list, collect 4 hours of flight pay, and never even have to take off their fuzzy bunny slippers.

P.S. Mike, the short furlough notice may have been provided by AA, but I also did not hear the APFA object on fairness grounds despite it's being legal and non-contractual. The APFA could have at least made public notice of the "coincidence" about the number of possible furloughs was 410. That was the maximum number the company could furlough and not have more than 249 LGA f/as on the list which would have caused the New York "Warn" law to kick in. It's why I am sure that more furloughs are to come.

<_< -----Don't even go there! You have no idea what the "former TWA (IAM)" members went through! :down: